Gold Prospecting/Metal Detecting in DR

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Any gold prospectors on this board? I have been hearing about some good rivers to pan, sluice or dredge. I am considering a small operation over there. My metal detecting so far has gotten me about 50 pesos and a copper earing LOL. But the best beaches are yet to come as I have been making friends and getting permission to dig around.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I would think beaches would be worthless. As a rule, gringos don't wear a lot of jewelry that can be lost.

Golds another story.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have a metal detector. Tried it on one beach. Plenty of Presidente caps was all we found.

Years ago I knew a group of Dominicans searching (and finding gold or silver rings, chains, bracelets etc.; something almost every day) at the beach in Cofresi. Not at the shore but in the water. They had an underwater metal detector.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What you dislike HR?

a) That I have a metal detector?

b) That I only found Presidente caps?

c) That those Dominican guys found s'thing often?

d) Cofresi

e) me

f) all of the above?

:D

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I became interested because of this website:

http://www.thamesandfield.co.uk/

Of course you never will find in DR what these guys are finding in the UK or what you can find in general in Europe with thousands of years of history and its artifacts...

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I have a metal detector. Tried it on one beach. Plenty of Presidente caps was all we found.

You need to fine tune the discrimination mode.....
A few years ago, I borrowed a detector and found many coins at Sosua Beach.

Back in the States I would sometimes get lazy and set the detector for U.S. quarters only and make a quick run of Fort Lauderdale Beach, getting hits on quarters only.....

Had to laugh one time, the detector showed a reading between a half dollar and a dollar coin, dug up 3 quarters.

I just brought down from the States a new Garrett AT Pro, have not had time to play with it but plan to use it at Sosua Beach soon.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you have the metal detector than you need a striped shirt and plaid shorts, black soxs and sandals. Oh yeah, and also a floppy hat and oversize sunglasses. Than you will not only be a dufus, you will look the part. Not hatin' just sayin'

LTSteve

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
And if you find a rock that sets off your detector, don't toss it aside - it might be a valuable meteor. If I remember correctly from my college days, there are theoretically more meteors near the equater.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
If you have the metal detector than you need a striped shirt and plaid shorts, black soxs and sandals. Oh yeah, and also a floppy hat and oversize sunglasses. Than you will not only be a dufus, you will look the part. Not hatin' just sayin'

LTSteve
That's okay LTSteve, I will just concentrate on the thousands of coins I have recovered, plus rings, watches, many hotel room keys and other keys, a co-worker's wedding ring she lost and asked me to help find, etc....

My cherished find for me is a 1964 Bermuda Silver Crown, there were only 500,000 minted.
(1959 and 1964 are the only years they were issued)

PS: Side benefit of treasure hunting on the beach is the many young ladies that strike up a conversation with you. Lot's of room to feed them B.S., and usually a fabulous up close view.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I have the floppy hat. I went with lime green socks and flip flops. I bought a red manthong swimsuit and hello kitty sunglasses. :bunny: Hahaha
I found that small pieces of fence wire actually are a bigger scourge than the presidente caps. My detector a fisher 8X is good for UW. I will try that after I get more practice it doesnt really discrimanate it sounds for everything. I was on a creek in Jarabacoa and was getting 9mm casings maybe I solved a crime. Sometimes I get some comments like "Let me know when you find the treasure". I ask myself why I would do that? I get out there just before sun rise and work the beach for about 3-4 hours after that too hot and too many curious people. Personally I think its just a matter of time before something good comes up.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I was stopped at the airport on the way out this time and there was a lot of interest in the Metal Detector. The DR officers said the pointer detector looked like a bomb arming trigger. I was pretty sure I was going to have to open the bag. 1. It looks like a rifle case. 2. All that electronic x rays. 3. Their deep desire to steal my Oversized Hello Kitty sunglasses. Besides the use for a beach search it will also be good to check classified material from a prospecting operation. The rocks that set off the detector are called hot rocks and all advise on recognition of meteorite material would be welcome. That was a good point made. This project is in its infancy. I am not looking for sites but DR specific information by prospectors who are out there mining.

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
"...all advise on recognition of meteorite material would be welcome. That was a good point made." - Joe Boots
I appreciate that, Joe. The only additional info I have is that I did find one and reburied it without being smart enough to realize what I had. Years later, I learned that the town where I found it was the site of a famous meteor shower, and little cross sections of material from that famous meteorite shower sell for $$$. There is a TV show, Meteorite Men, which follows 2 guys who hunt meteors for a living. They have magnetized trowels, for lack of the better term, to lift the meteors off the ground as a means of testing material that is visually determined to possibly be a meteor. Meteors might be one search target that would make DR a riching hunting ground than places like UK.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Yes I used to watch that show. They made good money with their finds. I think even American Chopper made them a "Meteorite Men" quatro gomas! I have made no great finds because of the beach I am working. I made some friends and will hit the more productive sites next trip. Right now I am looking into the prospecting a bit more, hoping for a profit from that venture.
History buff a question if you don't mind. Do you have any information or know where to find information about the history of the Cathedral Santa Maria La Menor? I have some from brief mentions in other books and some basic information that I have researched online. But nothing in depth. Any ideas where I can find good solid information of the cathedrals story?