What third world country?s need ?

mondi m

Jan 2, 2014
When I came to this country , I thought my knowledge could help. I thought that it does not have to be that here the same mistakes must be made - as 40 years in industrialized countries before. Somehow I think after 10 years living here , I am one of the few who think so . My neighbour, a respected businessman from the North, lives in a beautiful Villa . He has made his money by having used his mind. But like so many, once on the island, he has a lot of what he has learned at the High School forget. Or how can it be that his gardener burns once a week the waste from the garden; The gardener told him , " so we do it here " . And because waste is waste - is a part in there also the plastic garbage. Composting not know the people here. But how will they know it , when there are no schools, which deserve the name and nobody has a right training? The Gringo has enough money and prefer to buy in the earth in the " Vivero " even if his land is over 1 acre . And because the wind is always right, only the neighbours ( me ) come to enjoy the smoke. Perhaps someone among the readers who can tell me why this is so .... that people who come to this country , everything forgotten what they learned in more developed country? :disappoin:eek:

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
To put it in a simple way. This is their country things here will never change. You either adapt or go back to where you came from. If after 10 years of living here you don't get it ......You never will.

Sep 4, 2012
What a third word country won't need God forbid is run-on sentences that makes no sense at all. I have no idea what you just wrote?

Perhaps you and the gardener need to mount a gig together, it seems as the perfect storm.

Sep 4, 2012
English isn't mine, English is a language FYI, with that being said, typos are a different monster for which nobody earn any accolades by decifiring them. However, glad you pointed it out!

Sep 4, 2012
Silly question, but before you attack someone else for their English you should be coherent yourself. What does
decifiring mean? I cannot figure it out.

LOL...re-read my post above. I, as opposed to you, I do use others opinion to make myself better. If you cannot decipher that either, be careful it may just be endemic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can come here and try to be the tale that wags the dog, or you can just realize that you are not about to change another culture and it will be painful for you if you try to do so.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can come here and try to be the tale that wags the dog, or you can just realize that you are not about to change another culture and it will be painful for you if you try to do so.

there are lots of things that i see here, on a daily basis, which cause me to shake my head in wonderment. sometimes, i feel, reflexively, as though i should say something to correct them. however, i have long since realized that this is their country, and those are their ways of doing things. so, when two guys block the supermarket aisle, yammering away, i reverse my cart, and go to the other passage. heck, they do not come to places like the USA and tell Americans how to conduct themselves. why should they be given lessons in living? who died and left first world people in charge?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
there are lots of things that i see here, on a daily basis, which cause me to shake my head in wonderment. sometimes, i feel, reflexively, as though i should say something to correct them. however, i have long since realized that this is their country, and those are their ways of doing things. so, when two guys block the supermarket aisle, yammering away, i reverse my cart, and go to the other passage. heck, they do not come to places like the USA and tell Americans how to conduct themselves. why should they be given lessons in living? who died and left first world people in charge?

LOL, Stand in the middle of a doorway talking away while blocking people's access, normal behavior here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
lol G.....some of the things I see here could literally kill me man but I just tell myself -- serenity now!!

the first advice i give to people who say they want to live here is that they have to lower their expectations. there is a major disconnect between what people from other countries are accustomed to expect, and what happens here. do not expect the oncoming driver to dip his high beam; not going to happen. expect guys to cut in front of you in the line at the bank. acoustic monstrosities will keep you up all night. you will have to be extra vigilant at the traffic light, so as not to kill the guy who just ran the red light. and the beat goes on.

if you can just see those traits as part of the culture, and not expect things to go differently, you will survive. or, lets say you might.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL, Stand in the middle of a doorway talking away while blocking people's access, normal behavior here.

stand, bob? how about the two that i saw, just yesterday, sitting in the entrance door to the minimart where i get some of my emergency groceries? people had to be climbing over them, in and out. worse, the owner did not say a word. that tells you everything.

mondi m

Jan 2, 2014
WOW! Thanks for the answer. I'm actually not surprised. I just hoped that not everybody is runs by lost the id?e of Evolution. If I understand right, environmental – you give a ****, as long as the beer is cold, and the cleaning lady for 500Peso works. And is also important; grammatically correct spelling!
Have fun

Sep 4, 2012
Exactly!

LOL....in a serious note, talk to the gardener and explain the results of his action upon you, the rest of the hood and the environment. He might pay attention and do as explained. Remember that most people in the country are literally bounded, hence their actions or lack thereof.

Best of luck.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
When I came to this country , I thought my knowledge could help. I thought that it does not have to be that here the same mistakes must be made - as 40 years in industrialized countries before. Somehow I think after 10 years living here , I am one of the few who think so . My neighbour, a respected businessman from the North, lives in a beautiful Villa . He has made his money by having used his mind. But like so many, once on the island, he has a lot of what he has learned at the High School forget. Or how can it be that his gardener burns once a week the waste from the garden; The gardener told him , " so we do it here " . And because waste is waste - is a part in there also the plastic garbage. Composting not know the people here. But how will they know it , when there are no schools, which deserve the name and nobody has a right training? The Gringo has enough money and prefer to buy in the earth in the " Vivero " even if his land is over 1 acre . And because the wind is always right, only the neighbours ( me ) come to enjoy the smoke. Perhaps someone among the readers who can tell me why this is so .... that people who come to this country , everything forgotten what they learned in more developed country? :disappoin:eek:

My God ! what pretentious twaddle from someone who has no clue how the real world works!!
Please do us a favour:
Adapt new ideas and ideology,
Or:
Return to your comfort zone.

Enjoy life as it is and just leave off the posturing and sermons!!
I can't tell if you're male or female but just go get a good bonk and fall in love.

Then leave the "so-called third world" alone..

How many more of you interferers do we have to resist for G's sake??

Adios o bienvenido..

Your choice....

May 29, 2006
When I came to this country , I thought my knowledge could help

How to alienate yourself in 15 words or fewer. People come to the island with a chip on their shoulder treating the locals like ignorant children and then are astounded when no one listens to them. Go figure.

Btw, composting is no better than burning, maybe even worse~ methane is a greenhouse gas as well. As for the plastic, that wasn't around 30 years ago. Then everything was either burned or was recycled. Most of it comes from the good ol' US of A or China.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I laughed when I read the first post, because I recognized myself.

When I first came here, I was going to change the country and make it much better.
Then, I became frustrated.
Finally, after reading good advice here on DR1, I relaxed.
Change must come from Dominicans, not from a gringo who thinks he has all the answers.
And no matter how aplatanado I think I am, I will always be a gringo to people here.
And now the country has changed me, as slowly, I am learning patience. But definitely not quickly enough.