unidentified foreigner drowns in cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2012
Why on earth would anyone go out solo to do any swiming, hiking, etc?

However, the article does not mention if the body might've been thrown to the waters or if there was any criminal suspected acts prior to the drowning?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the article mentions no signs of violence. cabarete beach is pretty but not very safe for those who are not strong swimmers. the man might not have known that. maybe he was still a bit drunk from the end of the year party. maybe he had a cramp or a heart attack. it's difficult to speculate.

also, there are many solo travelers to DR. i am sure he will be identified soon.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Why on earth would anyone go out solo to do any swiming, hiking, etc?

However, the article does not mention if the body might've been thrown to the waters or if there was any criminal suspected acts prior to the drowning?

I've been doing that for many years. Hiking, swimming, discovering.... Solo.

And to the chagrin of many folk, I'm still here.
If you don't do nothin', you aint nothin,

Risk should be a part of all folks' life.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
The article mentions that the body was found at playa encuentro, that's the surfing beach, not the bay of the main Cabarete beach. It's father out west a couple of miles.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I've been doing that for many years. Hiking, swimming, discovering.... Solo.

And to the chagrin of many folk, I'm still here.
If you don't do nothin', you aint nothin,

Risk should be a part of all folks' life.

Agree....but there is a chance you end up like this poor guy. It is a risk you need to be prepared to take....not everyone is.

May 29, 2006
Anyone who swims should know about rip currents, how to spot them and how to escape them.

How to survive beach rip currents - YouTube

About 80% of drownings are rip current related. The swimmer panics and fights against it instead of going sideways or being carried out to where it isn't as strong. Learning to spot them is important since they occur where the water looks the most calm, usually in the center of the beach.

Going swimming while drunk or alone is also a bad idea..

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I was going to say Swiss since they have been having a bad start to the new year. RIP Etienne.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I dont understand why WHY there is no sign at this effing Encuentro beach NO SWIMMING! So many people have drowned on that beach! The tourists who come from countries that have no sea or ocean have 0 idea how to behave in a wild water like on that surf beach! I think it has to be the first thing they hear at reception in hotel when they check in - to NOT swim at that beach especially alone.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I dont understand why WHY there is no sign at this effing Encuentro beach NO SWIMMING! So many people have drowned on that beach! The tourists who come from countries that have no sea or ocean have 0 idea how to behave in a wild water like on that surf beach! I think it has to be the first thing they hear at reception in hotel when they check in - to NOT swim at that beach especially alone.

What every visitor should be told, retold, told again then quizzed on is that they ain't in Kansas anymore.

'We in the Euro-Western society have become accustomed to the authorities looking after us. We expect day-glow orange warnings of hazards on the sidewalk (pavement to the Brits); we may assume safety inspections of cars, busses, boats and everything; we expect the police to be on our side; we assume that electricity is wired according to code . . . and so on, and so on. Most of the time we get what we expect.

'It's just not true in second-world countries such as the DR. You are responsible for your own choices, actions and activities, and the safety of yourself and those you are responsible for. Get used to it or stay in the resort (and even then you're vulnerable).'

Without getting paranoid about it all, I give myself this lecture every year on the plane after the first gin and tonic. It's usually sunk in by the time we're off the Florida keys or over the Turks and Caicos. But after all these years I still find myself a little 'innocent-acting' for the first day or so.

Well that's my first post of the new year. See you in February perhaps.

wbr

Status
Not open for further replies.