How to get to Samana from Punta cana, Bavaro

Jan 3, 2014
Hi guys !! im arriving at Punta cana next week but my final destination is Samana ,las Galeras im backpacking so im on a budget. I had it all planned till I heard the Ferry service from Sabana de la mar is cancelled till further notice, im only staying for a week in DR so, I need someway to get there if si not by Ferry wich is the other better option ? any really cheap flights? (haven't found any) or local buses direct from Higuey ??

Thanks guys im running out of time please help

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
From Punta Cana to Samana is a fairly long haul. You will most likely need to take a bus into Santo Domingo and then the Transporte Las Terrenas bus to the Samana Peninsula. From Samana City you will probably have to take another bus to Las Galeras. There are no flights. Budget or not your best bet is to pay someone to drive you there otherwise you will loose a day at each end for travel. For the life of me I can't ever figure out why people fly into an airport that is nowhere close to where they are going
in the DR. If you are in the DR for only a week it makes little sense to loose a day at each end for travelling to your final destination. STUPIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 3, 2014
Thanks a lot Kate !
LTSteve de estupida tengo poco ! asi que , keep that word wherever suits your best PUJ was my only choice at this time of the year from my origin

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you are adventurous and patient you could take local buses via Higuey-El Seibo-Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar and take the passenger ferry across the bay to Samana city, and a bus from there to Las Galeras. It will take the best part of a day so start early. The fact that you are a Spanish speaker will help you greatly and it is a way of seeing a very non-touristy part of the country - consider doing it at least in one direction. Otherwise KateP's advice is the swiftest option.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you are adventurous and patient you could take local buses via Higuey-El Seibo-Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar and take the passenger ferry across the bay to Samana city, and a bus from there to Las Galeras. It will take the best part of a day so start early. The fact that you are a Spanish speaker will help you greatly and it is a way of seeing a very non-touristy part of the country - consider doing it at least in one direction. Otherwise KateP's advice is the swiftest option.

As the writer stated in his original question, the ferry at Sabana de la Mar is not running and that is the rub. If it was than getting from PC to Las Galeras would not be such a hassle but with than being said, there is no easy way to get there if you are trying to go budget. This traveller will spend a day each way to get back and forth from PC to LG plus the day each way to go to the airport. Makes little sense to me to pick a destination so far of the beaten path and have no expedited way of getting there.

LTSteve

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I just heard from Dominican Shuttles that the ferry is still operating... perhaps someone on the board here has a local contact number or contact info for the ferry service, i don't have such info. sorry, Good Luck !

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominican Shuttles probably know what they are talking about if they use this route, but to make absolutely sure the best way to verify this would be a first-hand report from someone in Saman? or Sabana de la Mar.