Recovering nicely I hope

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Its been one week since my little accident and I think I am recovering alright.
On Saturday the 28 my wife and I were out on my bike (un harley) and were hit by a small pickup coming out of a parking lot. Because it was coming out at an angle it was almost a headon collision. I was doing about 25 mph and the truck was accelerating out. Wife flew over me and landed about 20 feet from me as I stayed on the bike because I sit low.
Brusied body mainly on the right side, fractured pelvis, broken wrist, bruised ribs and the ego is completely shattered. Wife broke bone in her hand, badly sprained ankle and bump on the head and other aches and pains. No she wasn't wearing her helmut, can't mess the hair you know. Someone kindly offered to take care of my wallet because if I don't it will be stolen in the hospital. No thank you.
After waiting for what seemed like hours, someone drove us in one of those tiny mini vans to our clinic of choice. It was a very nice ride, a 5 to 10 minute ride turned into 30 minutes at least. I remember looking up and see the elevated highway twice in our ride, it was nowhere near to the clinic or on the way to the clinic. The skilled driver was also able to find every pothole in the city and hit them hard and twice, hence the double visit to the elevated highway.
At the clinic we were x-rayed and treated and released within 3 or 4 hours. As we were about to leave the driver of the pickup showed up to pay the bill. My wifes lawyer and best friend were there by now along with PN captain brother in law and all of the family. At least 20 people. At least the guy has insurance and license. He only needs to learn to not accelerate across traffic lanes when there is traffic coming.
Once home wifes family has been here to care for us. Wife also has 3 kids 15 19 20. They ****ed me off so much. Between the 3 they could have cared for us and the 2 small ones but instead they had to party. The 15 year old is already out on her own and I told the other 2 to be gone when I return from Canada for a short visit to take care of some financial matters.
The bike is here and really not much damage and wait for the insurance company to fix it. Then its back on the horse for me. I was told the pickup was totally demolished on the front.
Just another day in the DR

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
that sucks, but glad to hear you're O.K. Every vehicle you see on the road is a disaster waiting to happen, along with all those you DON'T see. So many drivers go by the motto... "watch out, here I come!"

WEAR THE FREAKIN' HELMET. You got lucky this time... don't count on it happening again.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Glad ure ok and everything turned out more or less OK.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are lucky. i was very close to being his by a car leaving parking lot. he accelerated suddenly and i only avoided being hit because there was a big pot hole on the road and i swayed left. i always assume every other user of the road is an idiot with a death wish. it kinda helps :)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
That was so kind of that person who asked to take care of your wallet for you! The kindness in the DR never ends!!!

Glad you, your Wife and bike are ok!!!! Mostly the bike i was concerned about though :)

Glad you survived ok.

Harleysrock - thought you did not actually like Harley Davidsons?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
P.S. Didn't mean to dislike your post only meant to like it!

@OP - Glad you are OK.
@HR - Somebody a little obsessed with this Like/Dislike crap, wow!
You should have been here a few years ago, when they had juice, people actually cried when they were the wrong color, LOL!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@ Harley - "I always get messages from people why i dislike their post so now i will explain if a mistake!!"

Oh No Mister Bill, I am Greeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
@ Harley - "I always get messages from people why i dislike their post so now i will explain if a mistake!!"

Oh No Mister Bill, I am Greeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

:chinese: Ancient Chinese Proverb :chinese:
The "Like / Dislike" buttons should change to "Remove Like / Remove Dislike" after you click them.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
:chinese: Ancient Chinese Proverb :chinese:
The "Like / Dislike" buttons should change to "Remove Like / Remove Dislike" after you click them.

@ Don - Bring it up at the next dr1 town hall meeting , I'll bring the sticky buns and coffee.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Rogerjac hope the two of you heal completely from the accident.

Remember always, Dominicans NEVER look where they are going, walking or driving. Watch how often they weave in and out of the right lane, they don't look ahead more then a few feet, when they see a parked car, they move back to the left lane, but then go right back into the right lane even tho there is another car parked in the right lane further ahead of them. I see this happening over and over again.

THEY NEVER LEARN!!!!!!

@ Don - Bring it up at the next dr1 town hall meeting , I'll bring the sticky buns and coffee.

If you have "sticky buns", you should be more careful where you sit.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
thank you all for your concern and I am sure I will recover. The harley is actually a suzuki 800 cruzier but you know you cant tell dominicans what is what. I'm glad it was a big bike. If it was a 200 cc I think the pickup would have drove over the bike and me. The size stopped the truck......I will be repairing the bike as it didn't sustain that much damage. Front wheel, speedometer case, footpegs, lights and a few dents to the gas tank. Maybe I should add crash bars all round and a light pole with a flashing strobe. Add a siren and that should do the trick.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Glad to hear you all survived.
NOW,...........Remember that, and ESPECIALLY in the DR,...
"Blood IS Thicker than "Agua"!!!!!!!
When you come back from Canada, I can assure you, NOBODY will be "Gone"!
They will,"At Least", wait to see what's in your suitcases!!!!!
Also,...as we men ALL KNOW,..."A Happy Wife, Makes A Happy Life"!!!
Soooooooooooooooo, kicking out your wife's kids means you won't have "Either Of The ABOVE"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC