Haiti names commission for talks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Haiti Libre reports that their Governmental Commission for the Binational Dialogue on 7 January in Ouanaminthe will be chaired by the Prime Minister, Laurent Lamothe. The other members are Minister of Foreign Affairs Pierre Richard Casimir, the Minister of Commerce Wilson Laleau, of Minister of the Interior, David Bazile and economist Nesmy Manigat.

For its part, the Dominican Commission, chaired by Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo, Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul, the Minister of Trade and Industry, Jos? del Castillo, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, acting Chancellor, Jos? Manuel Trullols and Legal Consultant of the Executive C?sar Pina Toribio.

Haiti Libre reports:
The mandate of the Bilateral Commission is to find a consensus and acceptable solutions in order to empty of all dispute between the two countries on migration issues,commercial exchanges, border security and regularization of binational markets. Haitian and Dominican authorities have made a firm commitment to amicably resolve the various problems between the two countries...

This first of a series of meetings will serve essentially to define the working agenda of future meetings.

The two parties also agreed so that representatives of the European Union, Venezuela, CARICOM, the UN and a member of the Haitian private sector, Ms. Norma Powell, are present, as an observers

This resumption of high-level dialogue, is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7, 2014 in Juana Mendez in the commune of Ouanaminthe (North-East of Haiti), in front of the Dominican town of Dajabon.

Gustavo Montalvo, said in an official statement that "The Dominican Government encourages the desire to build a relationship of trust, that allows to work together for the welfare of both peoples..."

Haiti - Dominican Republic : Haiti formed his Binational Commission for Dialogue - HaitiLibre.com, Haiti News, The haitian people's voice

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
This resumption of high-level dialogue, is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7, 2014 in Juana Mendez in the commune of Ouanaminthe (North-East of Haiti), in front of the Dominican town of Dajabon.

Where in Haiti is that Juana Mendez??? Is that a new town? or is it somewhere in DR?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Does not haiti's Prime Minister have more important things to do.

This is a waste of time as haiti's future government will not abide by anything agreed by the martelly government.

The opposition will make sure of that.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Where in Haiti is that Juana Mendez??? Is that a new town? or is it somewhere in DR?

LOL!!!

Juana Mendez used to be the actual name of a town located in the once territory of the DR, which was later ceded to Haiti as the border deal was carried out (think of it as payment for the massacre of Perejil and the fact that most of the then denizens happened to be 10 to 1 Haitians in ratio to Dominicans) by both countries and the U.S. lords.

That was when pretty much Hinche, Cerca Carvajal and most plots of flat land passed from DR to Haiti's side.

Oaunaminthe is just the phonetic corruption of Juana Mendez to Haitian Creole.

a1f2.jpg

SaintDomingue.360.jpg

After that it was reduced to the present state of borders.

They used the once affluent river to mark much of the border after that. Like a natural marker...

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can't tell the difference just by "Looking".
How do all Dominicans claim they can tell a "Haitiano" by sight?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Because they are really dark. Made the mistake of calling my wife black. Ooops. Mi no negra. What they hell do i know? But now when she does something dumb i call her haitiana. I look at the pictures of the DR from the 50's and further back, looks like an entirely different race from who inhabits the island now.

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
LOL!!!

That was when pretty much Hinche, Cerca Carvajal and most plots of flat land passed from DR to Haiti's side.

Correct, and also San Miguel de la Atalaya, San Rafael de la Angostura, Las Caobas and Nuestra Se?ora de la Concepci?n de Hincha

I believe haitians call that part Plateau Central

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can't tell the difference just by "Looking".
How do all Dominicans claim they can tell a "Haitiano" by sight?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Let's see, post two pictures I will try to find out who is who...

I can also tell when a AA is talking on a radio or TV show no matter I can't see the person...

Here in the US I can tell if someone is Dominican just by sight... LOL

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Juana M?ndez is Ounaminthe (or however is spelled in Kreyol, which I think it simply means Juana M?ndez in Kreyol).

There are many towns along the Haitian border area (and near the border) that Dominicans will, in some cases quite often, refer to them by their original Spanish names.

Other Haitian towns of Spanish origin are:

Fort Libert? = Puerto Real de Bayaj?
Hinch? = Lares de Guaba also known as Hincha
Lascahobas = Las Cahobas
Saint Mitchel d'Atalaye = San Miguel de la Atalaya
Saint Raphael = San Rafael de la Angostura
Jacmel = Villanueva de Y?quimo
Les Cayes = Salvatierra de la Sabana
Port-au-Prince = Santa Mar?a de la Verapaz also known as La Yaguana (no one calls Port-au-Prince that anymore, but that's the original Spanish name)
Cap Haitien = Gu?rico

I think those are all of them.

BTW, the towns of Y?quimo, Salvatierra, La Yaguana, Lares de Guaba, and Bayaj? (maybe one or two additional ones that don't come to mind) were among the first Spanish towns to be designated the title of cities by the Catholic Kings back in the XVI Century, and they were granted the first coat of arms.

All the pioneer Spanish cities that are now on the Dominican territory still conserve their original coat of arms, most of them with hardly any changes (Santo Domingo, La Vega, Santiago, Puerto Plata, El Seybo, Hig?ey, Cotu?, Azua, San Juan de la Maguana, Montecristi, Bonao; I think those are all of them, but there could be more and Buenaventura doesn't exist anymore but it was near Los Alcarrizos). I don't know if the towns now on the Haitian side, especially the towns in the Guaba Valley (you guys officially got a hold of that land in the early 20th Century) still conserve their original coat of arms.

It would be nice if you can verify this, because all my research has lead to dead ends. These are the first coat of arms conferred to any cities in the Western Hemisphere.

Santo Domingo's coat of arm has gone through a few changes, but most of the other ones (Puerto Plata, Santiago, Bonao, etc) have not been modified in the 500 or so years of their existence and are still their official coat of arms. Their municipal flags usually have them and in some places within these cities you will see them (Puerto Plata's is on the top of the Ayuntamiento or City Hall with the F for King Fernando and Y for Queen Isabella; there is one of Santiago on the pedestal of the Saint James statue at the entrance to the city, right where the Duarte highway meets the traffic circle; etc).

Anyway, would be interesting to know if in Haiti they have conserved the coat of arms or if the cities have been given new ones or none at all.

Last edited:

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
lol..lol...my question about juana mendez was sarcasm folks.

It is as if by using that name somehow that area will return to the colony of santo-domingo...lol

Yes the spaniards were there first......so towns would have spanish names.

but that was a long time ago......it is now haitian territory...so there is no need to keep the spanish names.

As for the spanish coat of arms......no such things exist now in Haiti.

The Arawak and spanish past has for all intent and purposes been eradicated......it is as if they were never there.

We are stuck with france and of course negro africa.....totally kreyol.

Last edited:

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011

My hometown of Les Cayes.

Only a few years ago did i found out about Salvatierra de la Sabana.

Apparently that spanish town was destroyed by fire........Les Cayes was simply built on the same location.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Speaking of town names.

"Located a three hour's drive west of Santo Domingo, Barahona was founded by French-Haitian General, Toussaint L'Overture. He believed Barahona's location was the perfect spot to build an alternate port to Santo Domingo's"

"When Toussaint L'Ouverture took the eastern part of the Hispaniola island in the name of France, he gave the order to create the town of Barahona as part of the Ozama Department".[

Is barahona a spanish name or an indian name?

And why would Toussaint choose that name Santa-cruz de barahona...if he did....instead of a french name?

Was it out of respect for the people's spanish heritage?

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Lascahobas = Las Cahobas
Port-au-Prince = Santa Mar?a de la Verapaz also known as La Yaguana (no one calls Port-au-Prince that anymore, but that's the original Spanish name)
Cap Haitien = Gu?rico

You forgot about Guanahibes (Gonaives) and El Cahay (Arcahaie), but I can't blame you, cuz' these ones never surpassed the condition of miserable hovels where the local inhabitants (rescatadores) made their smuggling with the English/French/Dutch/Portuguese pirates. Also, the Artibonite river used to be called "Hatibonico", like the one in Puerto Rico. See the map of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico by Joan Vinckeboons, 1639.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The meeting is still up, wait for news from Haiti today...

JJ

huron007

Dec 16, 2013
Juana M?ndez is Ounaminthe (or however is spelled in Kreyol, which I think it simply means Juana M?ndez in Kreyol).

There are many towns along the Haitian border area (and near the border) that Dominicans will, in some cases quite often, refer to them by their original Spanish names.

Lascahobas = Las Cahobas
Cap Haitien = Gu?rico

BTW, the towns of Y?quimo, Salvatierra, La Yaguana, Lares de Guaba, and Bayaj? (maybe one or two additional ones that don't come to mind) were among the first Spanish towns to be designated the title of cities by the Catholic Kings back in the XVI Century, and they were granted the first coat of arms.

All the pioneer Spanish cities that are now on the Dominican territory still conserve their original coat of arms, most of them with hardly any changes (Santo Domingo, La Vega, Santiago, Puerto Plata, El Seybo, Hig?ey, Cotu?, Azua, San Juan de la Maguana, Montecristi, Bonao; I think those are all of them, but there could be more and Buenaventura doesn't exist anymore but it was near Los Alcarrizos). I don't know if the towns now on the Haitian side, especially the towns in the Guaba Valley (you guys officially got a hold of that land in the early 20th Century) still conserve their original coat of arms.

It would be nice if you can verify this, because all my research has lead to dead ends. These are the first coat of arms conferred to any cities in the Western Hemisphere.

Santo Domingo's coat of arm has gone through a few changes, but most of the other ones (Puerto Plata, Santiago, Bonao, etc) have not been modified in the 500 or so years of their existence and are still their official coat of arms. Their municipal flags usually have them and in some places within these cities you will see them (Puerto Plata's is on the top of the Ayuntamiento or City Hall with the F for King Fernando and Y for Queen Isabella; there is one of Santiago on the pedestal of the Saint James statue at the entrance to the city, right where the Duarte highway meets the traffic circle; etc).

Anyway, would be interesting to know if in Haiti they have conserved the coat of arms or if the cities have been given new ones or none at all.

Excellent post Nals.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
MEETING CONCLUDES RD-HAITI

RD SAYS GOVERNMENT WILL RESPOND TO CASES NOT COVERED BY THE NATIONAL REORGANIZATION PLAN

MEETINGS WILL BE HELD THE FIRST TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH

DR and Haiti Commissions reconvene and review together the final document of the meeting held today

Juana Mendez, Haiti

With the reading of a joint document between the Dominican and Haitian governments, concluded the meeting held for nearly eight hours representatives of both nations, which addressed the issues of migration, trade, environment and safety.

The prime ministers of Haiti Laurent Lamothe, and the Dominican Presidency Gustavo Montalvo, to read out the document indicated that much of the meeting was devoted to discuss the immigration issue, and the two countries agreed that the most important thing is dialogue.

They indicated that the meeting was frank, constructive and enlightening, and developed in a tone of serenity and mutual respect.

Both officials acknowledged the sovereign right of Dominican Republic to determine its immigration policy, and the rules for granting nationality.

In that order, Haiti requested that proper safeguards are taken to safeguard the rights of Haitians, which was favored by the Dominican.

The Dominican government announced that next week will be taken forward further legislation to respond to all cases not covered by the national plan of adjustment.

Both governments agreed that the topics to be exhausted at this meeting would be treated again at the next meeting to be held on February 13 in Dominican Republic.

The meetings are held the first Monday of each month.

They also agreed on the need to regularize temporary workers. They said the National Migration Board are approved a program for the provision of visas for temporary workers, while Haiti promised to issue passports to complete the formalities.

Haiti presented an additional concern with respect to the requirements of RD immigration legislation, requiring Haitian students studying here to return home to renew their student visas, so the RD delegation agreed to evaluate the request.

Moreover, with the common interest of achieving effective, harmonious and orderly border relations, the two countries affirmed their willingness to organize the binational markets that develop at different border points.

To this end, both countries customs conversed to conclude an agreement that will allow the organization of these markets.

In this regard, RD offered assistance to Haiti customs. Both governments agreed to promote reciprocal trade measures, without delay to allow product trade between the two nations.

The meeting was scheduled for 11:00 am, but started at 1:15 pm ET RD, and concluded at 7:55 pm with the reading of the final document.

Gobierno de RD dice dar? respuesta a los casos no contemplados en el Plan Nacional de Regularizaci?n - listindiario.com