Tourist Card.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
For those concern with the tourist card expiring in 15-30 days,you have the option of buying a one year tourist card for the same price that you pay at the airpot.Here's the link to DGIIhttps: //www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

Just make sure you have a printer.

https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

Last edited by a moderator:

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I checked on there as well. There is no option for an extended stay card. Or am I reading that you can purchase one now and it is valid for entry into the DR for a year?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It's not extended stay. It's just the normal tourist card that you are able to buy on line in advance of your trip. Been around for a while and it's good for one year for one use.
Yes leromero, correct.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
My wife spoke to the guy from immigration over the phone and told him that she her tourist card had expired and that she was
concern about the overstay fee at the airport.The guy said to get a tourist card online that is good for a year and show it at the
airpot and it should be no problem.I bought four today,and yes,it says good for a year at the bottom of it.We are traveling thursday afternoon,I will update ASAP!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My wife spoke to the guy from immigration over the phone and told him that she her tourist card had expired and that she was
concern about the overstay fee at the airport.The guy said to get a tourist card online that is good for a year and show it at the
airpot and it should be no problem.I bought four today,and yes,it says good for a year at the bottom of it.We are traveling thursday afternoon,I will update ASAP!!!!!

You were given bad information.
They charge according to your entry stamp on your passport.

You wasted $40 buying new tourist cards, unless you got a new stamp on your passport out and back into the country to "reset" your stay.

Please let us know how much you pay to leave the country!

Tambo is right you got bad info! Get ready to pay the overstay fee!
Why would they just start giving out free year Tourist Cards, well next to free for $10.
I just paid the overstay fee 14 days ago leaving.

How long are you guys overstaying?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Please, please, please report back on this, so we can all see how this works out.

In my mind, "good for one year" means that it can be used within a year, but only for a stay of 30 days.

But in this country, who the heck knows?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you leave via Punta Cana, the "overstay fee" is collected by the guys who check your passport (unlike Santo Domingo where you have to pay at a special cash desk). The last time I paid, the agent didn't have change and suggested we went to a bank to get change for my overstay fee, which she guessed would be RD$1000 (it should have been more I think). She then changed my money by buying herself a Burger King with my overstay fee and stuck the rest of the overstay fee in her purse. So the moral of this is to try leaving via Punta Cana, it's all a bit more negotiable there.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I left on Dec 19th for Christmas. They checked my passport in POP and he said I had more than 30 days and I would need to go to overstay tax line to pay before I could leave. No way to tell what kind of a tourist card I had (assuming there is another). I would assume they would need to mark something in your passport for the 2 different types....no way they could keep this straight. I would think is a 30 day card which use is valid for 1 year.....how they keep track of that one is another story.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
tourist visa is valid for single entry per $10

The one year period referenced on the online visa document pertains to the validity 0f the document. It is valid for up to one year from the date of purchase. The overstay penalty is based on the date of your entry into Dominican territory. Whether or not you are made to pay it when you overstay depends on whether the immigration official is paying attention. I've seen them ask tourists "how long was your stay?" Maybe Doctor Guzman should respond with an excerpt of the 1967 immigration law related to this matter...

For those concern with the tourist card expiring in 15-30 days,you have the option of buying a one year tourist card for the same price that you pay at the airpot.Here's the link to DGIIhttps: //www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

Just make sure you have a printer.

https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It doesn't take a Doctor to understand the difference between a Tourist Card and an overstay fee. Two separate things as previously mentioned by more than one poster.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I left on Dec 19th for Christmas. They checked my passport in POP and he said I had more than 30 days and I would need to go to overstay tax line to pay before I could leave. No way to tell what kind of a tourist card I had (assuming there is another). I would assume they would need to mark something in your passport for the 2 different types....no way they could keep this straight. I would think is a 30 day card which use is valid for 1 year.....how they keep track of that one is another story.

If I'm not mistaken don't they scan your passport when you enter and leave the country? I know they do it when you first arrive, at least through SDQ, but I'm not sure when you leave. My passport is so marked up that it would take them 15 minutes to probably find my entry stamp. If they can find it. That's the only way I can think of that they would know how long you stayed in the DR.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
You don't keep your tourist card when you enter the country - at last at POP and STI. You buy it, and turn it in almost immediately. So you would never have it with you when leaving. Your passport is what is checked. It took a few minutes but they found my most recent entry stamp.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If I'm not mistaken don't they scan your passport when you enter and leave the country? I know they do it when you first arrive, at least through SDQ, but I'm not sure when you leave. My passport is so marked up that it would take them 15 minutes to probably find my entry stamp. If they can find it. That's the only way I can think of that they would know how long you stayed in the DR.

I always make sure I know where the last entry stamp is located and point it out to them. More than once, they have tried to overcharge me. The passport scan is to make sure you are able to enter and leave the country (generally, if there is a Dominican or international warrant for arrest, or if you are in the process of litigation and have been told you cannot leave the country.)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
passport scanning

The passport scan serves several purposes. In addition to verifying whether you are allowed to leave or enter the country or whether the holder is subject to arrest, the scan will alert if the passport has ben reported lost or stolen, whether the passport has been revoked by the issuing country, or whether or not the passport is in fact a passport rather than a forged document.

I always make sure I know where the last entry stamp is located and point it out to them. More than once, they have tried to overcharge me. The passport scan is to make sure you are able to enter and leave the country (generally, if there is a Dominican or international warrant for arrest, or if you are in the process of litigation and have been told you cannot leave the country.)

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
The turiste card is good for ur first 30 days in the country. Buy it at the airport or online. Its the same thing. After the 30 days when you leave the airport. This law takes into place. The overstay fee. CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

There are no one year turiste cards. Its only 30 days

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
They simply look at the date your passport was stamped when you entered the country. The tourist card is not of any value once you pass through customs and immigration upon entering the country. You can not buy an extended year tourist card. The only was is to get a tourist visa from a Dominican Consulate prior to travel and I believe it is good for 90 days.

LTSTeve

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
and if you renewed your passport between your entry and your exit ??

They simply look at the date your passport was stamped when you entered the country. The tourist card is not of any value once you pass through customs and immigration upon entering the country. You can not buy an extended year tourist card. The only was is to get a tourist visa from a Dominican Consulate prior to travel and I believe it is good for 90 days.

LTSTeve