Sweet Potato

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Got this at Bravo Santiago today - they call it 'Americano Batata'

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
yes. at Bravo. Sorry - I was trying to post a picture. Looks like a "dominican" batata, except orange flesh, instead of white.
And double sorry - we bought all 3 that were there !

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, we got some the other day - much nicer than normal batata but not as sweet as the ones we get in Spain. We love them roasted.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
2hhngh0.jpg

Last edited:

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
I bought a few a couple of months ago. Excellent. Said was from Peru. One had some green sprouts and I buried them in the garden. As they grow I cut the vines and stick the vines in the dirt. I now have many plants growing.

May 29, 2006
Here, let me do that:

15xs74o.jpg

You have to resize it to "message board"

I like the potatoes in the DR, but it would be nice if there were more varieties. They are very similar to what are called "Yukon Gold" in the US. I used to roast them after cutting them into wedges and tossing them in some oil and spices.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, imported foods can cost up to three times the amount(price) of what it costs in the states.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I know they grow them in Constanza, mainly for export, but some end up being sold in local supermarkets too.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I bought a few a couple of months ago. Excellent. Said was from Peru. One had some green sprouts and I buried them in the garden. As they grow I cut the vines and stick the vines in the dirt. I now have many plants growing.

Are the the roots producing fruits?

What part of the DR are you growing them?

thanx?

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
why? any 'empirical' evidence?

I forgot the "in my opinion" part. I forgot some read meticulously everyone's posts trying to find mistakes and cling to them like angry cats to get a rise out of others. You can now retract your claws, I made a FATAL mistake.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
My friend smuggled some in from the USA and sprouted it and now has 6 vines all busily making these sweet potatoes with the orange flesh that I find far moister than the white ones they grow here. Her roots are not quite ready to harvest, they need over 3 months to develop to the right size. Also makes a great sweet potato pie, a south USA traditional pie. So I smuggled in my own and am in the process of sprouting one for my own vines.

These should grow well here,- they like the heat. We are in Cabrera.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I forgot the "in my opinion" part. I forgot some read meticulously everyone's posts trying to find mistakes and cling to them like angry cats to get a rise out of others. You can now retract your claws, I made a FATAL mistake.

Sorry if my incisive piercing posting style offended you... it is not my style [intented redundancy not caused by dilexia]

If you find any of my post not to be socially accepted, just raise your voice and I will revisit it.

Whenever some talks about potatos a flag comes up [not a 'red' flag lol]

You also 'forgot that 'some read meticulously" [me] when the post is interesting... so you made anothe 'fatal' mistake.

I love white potatos and just sincerely wanted to know exactly why the potato you mention is better.

potatos saved my life so to speak, helped me get out of junk food, I eat them 'plain', nothing else, recommended.

btw 'they say the red skin white potato is better than the white skin, but i have not found out why yet... now I buy red skin potato, at least they sell them very clean.

Aug 6, 2006
Most of the nutrients in a potato are in the peel.
Yukon Gold/ Klondike Gold and Russet potatoes are more closely related than sweet potatoes.
I think white fleshed potatoes are descended from potatoes originating in Peru. There are hundreds of varieties of potatoes in Peru. There are a lot of varieties of sweet potato as well. I think that most of these originated in Mexico, but Indians in the Southern US were raising them when the White men arrived. The Mexican word is camote, and these are similar to what Americans call sweet potato and yam. In Spanish the usual word is batata. In Spain they are called boniato, but what is sold under that name here in Miami is different. I think that sweet potatoes are also native to parts of South America as well as North America, as they are popular in Argentina and Paraguay.

Sweet potatoes are called yams, but a true yam (?ame) is a large root vegetable with white flesh. There is a lot of confusion with regard to the names of potatoes, cassava, yams, yautia and such. Sweet potatoes are much more nutritious than white potatoes, and are only distantly related to them. Check out Wikipedia (in both English and Spanish) for details. I do not claim to be an expert.