sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Thank you all for great information (& much entertainment) re all things DR. We return to Las Terrenas next month for 4 wks...can't wait! This (Ontario, Canada) winter's been especially brutal.

If anyone can help: Our eldest son will be visiting us for 1 week with his 2 young daughters. He will be carrying the "consent to travel" letter from his ex, as per their separation agreement. Can anyone tell me if the Dominican authorities normally ask to see this consent, and if so, should he have it translated/notarized in Spanish?

I have looked on line at the consulates/embassies/cdn gov site, but can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thanks for any help. And thanks again for great late night reads!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Post this in the Legal section...and yes, I would have a letter of consent translated just in case your ex says you kidnapped your son...or for some reason, they think he is not yours and try to extort money from you..but hey, never happen, its the DR..you can't pay the police right? :) yes sarcastic..

Thank you all for great information (& much entertainment) re all things DR. We return to Las Terrenas next month for 4 wks...can't wait! This (Ontario, Canada) winter's been especially brutal.

If anyone can help: Our eldest son will be visiting us for 1 week with his 2 young daughters. He will be carrying the "consent to travel" letter from his ex, as per their separation agreement. Can anyone tell me if the Dominican authorities normally ask to see this consent, and if so, should he have it translated/notarized in Spanish?

I have looked on line at the consulates/embassies/cdn gov site, but can't seem to find a clear answer.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
The only issue is on stateside when leaving the U.S. Or i would assume Canada in this case. DR only wanted to see the passports.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

It is not necessary, but if you feel more comfortable go to the Dominican Consulate in Ottawa or Montreal and have them translate it and put their official stamp on it. Then you will have absolutely no concern. They will charge you but it is worth it.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our daughter has come to visit us several times with her sons, without their father. No one has ever asked her for anything. I think that permission issue is only for Dominicans leaving DR.

But I agree with above post - ask it in Legal Forum.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Thank you all for the quick responses. I'm feeling less concerned after reading your responses but I posted in Legal as advised.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As you can see, the "Definitive Answer" IS,...there IS, no, "Definitive Answer".
But on the "Dominican Side Only"!
Since the Dominican immigration agents here, have no clue what their laws are, you can get 3 different answers, from only One Agent!
I say you are "OK" with just the "English Version".
They won't be able to read it, but if it "Looks Official", to them it will be "OK".
When you enter, the passports are just fine.
It is a great idea to pose your question to "Fabio Guzman" a skilled Dominican lawyer, and resident expert on the "Legal Forum"
Come Get Warm!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC