Departure from Punta Cana Airport

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Two hours were barely enough for me and my family to get through ticketing, baggage and emigration check last week. There may have been an overabundance of travellers because of the earlier weather-related flight cancellations.

What kind of experience has anyone else had?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
It's a mixed bag... sometimes it goes (relatively) quickly... sometimes it takes forever. Kinda' depends on if you're "lucky" enough to arrive at the airport right behind a few busloads from the A.I.'s. I tend to allow minimum of 2.5 hours.... usually closer to 3 hours. I also have to allow for time to return the rental car. Two hours is bare minimum I would suggest... and then you're really temping fate.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My personal experience as Dominican is to be there 3 hrs before, that give me planty of time to check in, pass by security and answer all the questions they always make me, and also if they want to check my suitcase in the small room as they have did it one time before, and finally eat something before my flight.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My suggestions, check on flight stats how many flights leave at the same time or close to yours. If it's only 2 or 3, 2 hours should be plenty. If it's more, get there early.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Window of opportunity

The advice from the airlines and trade publications is travelers having international flights should arrive at the airport at least three hours before a scheduled flight to insure adequate time to be processed. Of course, there are airports that have the infrastructure and manning to handle travellers testing the airport arrival window of opportunity. However, it is always best to arrive earlier, ...... less stress.

Yes, sometimes the timing of transportation to the airport is not under one's control. Especially, when you have an airport transfer arranged for you as part of a tour package. Always ask questions about the reliability of the transfer companies. Otherwise, use plan B, have the fare set aside for a taxi.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Last to arrive

Just a little side note: The later you arrive and check in and/or check your baggage at an airline places you in jeapody to be bumped, denied boarding, on an overbooked flight. The airlines use the time you connect with them at the airport, last to arrive, is first bumped, especially if you have coach seating.

Regards

PJT

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
When we first came here (8 or more years ago) two hours at the airport was sufficient, and we were generally with the bus loads of AIs... since then there have been more and more flights added. A friend went to the airport thinking that an hour was sufficient, lol. He came back as they had closed check in 2 hours BEFORE the flight.

If going by travel company's bus - depending on which hotel you are staying in - then the trip to the airport can take at least 1-2 hours, this may be a free journey but I would suggest taking a taxi as PJT says.

Get there at least 3 hours before (particularly if there are lots of flights leaving at the same time).. check out (PUJ) Punta Cana International Airport Departures

Another thing, if you have cedula/residency you will go through just that bit quicker!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You have to consider when you are travelling the departure dates and time. Last week would have been part of the holiday rush and also the weather in the northeast was a factor. You need to use common sense and get there as early as you can. Some people no matter what the situation are always late. These are the bozos that hold everyone else up. If you are travelling on public transportation remember you are not alone. Please show some common courtesy. There are just too many __sholes travelling these days and I think I have encountered all of them.

LTSteve

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Travelled on AA just a few weeks ago (PUJ-MIA-PUJ). I had checked online beforehand to get an idea of how busy the airport would be at 5am and planned accordingly. Got there over 2 hours ahead of departure and proceeded to wait in line at the AA counter for over an hour (they opened it 1h50m before departure). The line was long but not THAT long but it took a long time to get through. Staff were doing a lot of typing on the computers, calling the supervisor over every 5 minutes to help them with something, needlessly walking back and forth, making jokes with each other... you get the idea. Once checked-in, the rest was a breeze. No lines at the security check or migracion. By the time I got in, went to the bathroom, got something to munch on and found my gate I had about 10 minutes left before boarding started.

The return however was not fun. All the gates were full and 2 planes had just landed before us. Having my residency, I was permitted to go into the shorter line which is supposed to be for legal residents and people that have already purchased their tourist cards. If you're not provided with a tourist card by your airline company BUY IT ONLINE IF YOU CAN. The line to purchase the tourist card was ridiculous, zig-zagging back and forth and no one knew where they were going and what they were supposed to do. Half the people in my line weren't supposed to be there (tourists without tourist cards) and there was only 1 customs agent for us. The rest had 5 agents for the hundreds of people waiting. I used to think that the setup they had before was bad but this is worse (except they can fit more people under the roof now). Signage is practically non-existent, many people don't know they have to pay 10USD cash upon arrival for their card and although the staff tries, they can't keep people in line. At Miami it was almost scary to see so many well-behaved people standing in line quietly. Apparently when one leaves the "civilized" countries, all that education goes out the window... When I finally managed to get thru migracion, my suitcase was already waiting for me on the floor by the carousel. I was impressed to see that they now have staff that makes sure people are taking the correct suitcases, checking with the client's tag and the tag on the suitcase. Of course when I went to pass thru the last security check I was pulled aside to check my suitcase. Happens every single time. White woman travelling alone=drugs or good opportunity for extra cash. I went mumbling and grumbling in spanish towards the line with my overweight suitcase when the same guy that had sent me there comes back to me and asks me if I was from Higuey. I told him no, I lived 15 minutes away. He winked at me and told me I could leave. That was a first! lol

So lesson learned, plan to be at PUJ nice and early if you don't want to wait hours in line and if you don't have your residency or your tourist card included in your flight, buy it online.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Totally agree with Kate about the tourist card / immigration upon arrival at PUJ. When I first started coming to DR, it was silly, but well managed and surprisingly efficient. deboard plane, ushered to terminal.. buy card, hand card back, immigration... even handled full plane loads pretty quickly. over the past year or two, every time I arrive, it's different and worse, the growth of the airport has not been a friend to the tourists. It has dissolved into chaos now, Just as Kate describes... including the luggage. Although I'm surprised that you don't use a porter to get through customs, Kate. They never check my bags when I use them.. and only x-rayed them once, right after the machines were installed. Of course, I've now tempted fate and will probably be checked on every trip for the next 10 years... like breaking a mirror. LOL

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
I have to agree with Kate n Glenn too, after 16 or so visits the last couple of years has been chaos.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
I have a question about the "photo ladies" that used to be there upon arrivals and are now blocking your way in the departure area. I do NOT want a photo with these growling, grumpy chicks !!!!

I have tried to bypass them on my last few departures only to be yelled at by these "ladies" and a couple of times they have tried to grab me by my arms.... to me that's a no-no and they should have no right to touch me.

How do you frequent flyers, locals and expats avoid these "ladies"?

Do you really have to stand in that line for a photo you do not want even if you live there?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I have a question about the "photo ladies" that used to be there upon arrivals and are now blocking your way in the departure area. I do NOT want a photo with these growling, grumpy chicks !!!!

I have tried to bypass them on my last few departures only to be yelled at by these "ladies" and a couple of times they have tried to grab me by my arms.... to me that's a no-no and they should have no right to touch me.

How do you frequent flyers, locals and expats avoid these "ladies"?

Do you really have to stand in that line for a photo you do not want even if you live there?

My last few visits the ladies have been at the departure side, not the arrival side. The guys playing that incessant song are on the arrival side, kicking the basket more in front of you as you walk by.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
I know they are now on the departure side... I was hoping all these people that say they use the PUJ airport frequently and are residents is there a way to skip these ladies and tell them to $$^%^@#$ Off when they try to grab me as I DON;T want my photo taken by them. I just like to get there, do my thing, get to the other side and relax before my flight.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I normally just keep walking and ignore them. The worst they can do is yell at you. They certainly won't tackle you and hold you down; that'll turn off the next few people n line (or have some of the guys ready to pay extra!).