Sosua Beach Music Videos

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a new project. Making videos for YouTube of the various musicians and groups that roam Sosua Beach on weekends and holidays hoping to earn money by entertaining the beach goers.

Yesterday I did 2 videos of Grupo Colibri Sosua.

Sosua Beach Music: Grupo Colibri Sosua (Video 2) - YouTube

Sosua Beach Music: Grupo Colibri Sosua (Video 1) - YouTube

Of the 2, my old ears prefer Video 2 because the vocal is louder.

I think I may need a better microphone than the camera mike in order to do justice to the groups. I did a great video on Friday of a singer/guitar player (Not posted yet) and that was nice and loud, but I had to stand further back to get the group.

What I am thinking is that once I get a few of these videos maybe I can show them to somebody and suggest that there be a battle of Sosua Beach bands, or something like, as a way to give these groups some exposure and provide a little entertainment for visitors and residents.

May 29, 2006
I remember the guitarist in the red hat. One night about ten years ago, I was staying at Hotel Romanoff and hanging out with one of the bartenders ~there was this German couple as well. The guy comes by and starts to sing to us with the guitar. We were simply basking in the music and the German couple were also smiling and having a good time. Really nice set of maybe six songs in 20 minutes and he shyly takes a bow to ask for a propina. I see the German guy reach into his kangaroo pouch and he gives the guy one peso. My jaw simply dropped and I ended up giving him double what I going to give him. The guitar guy just took it in stride~ it hadn't been the first time he'd been stiffed. If I wasn't with the girl, I prob would have made a bigger deal out of it.

I saw him on the beach the next day and he thanked me again for being so generous. The next thing I knew the beach vendors were giving me really good prices-- not the tourist price and then haggle down. Word gets out fast in a small place like Sosua.

Glad to see he's put on some weight. He was much thinner back then.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I occasionally pay these guys a day's wages for a "tambora lesson", as well as a few grande's for their time.
When I am not in the mood, they totally understand a polite finger wave.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I remember the guitarist in the red hat. One night about ten years ago, I was staying at Hotel Romanoff and hanging out with one of the bartenders ~there was this German couple as well. The guy comes by and starts to sing to us with the guitar. We were simply basking in the music and the German couple were also smiling and having a good time. Really nice set of maybe six songs in 20 minutes and he shyly takes a bow to ask for a propina. I see the German guy reach into his kangaroo pouch and he gives the guy one peso. My jaw simply dropped and I ended up giving him double what I going to give him. The guitar guy just took it in stride~ it hadn't been the first time he'd been stiffed. If I wasn't with the girl, I prob would have made a bigger deal out of it.

I saw him on the beach the next day and he thanked me again for being so generous. The next thing I knew the beach vendors were giving me really good prices-- not the tourist price and then haggle down. Word gets out fast in a small place like Sosua.

Glad to see he's put on some weight. He was much thinner back then.

and they give Canadians a hard time for being lousy tippers. saw a German guy served a full course meal in a restaurant, then give the waitress a 5 peso tip...

May 29, 2006
Yeah, it really soured me on Germans for a while after that. They don't have the best reputation as tippers.

The waitresses that I've known say that it's hit or miss with Canadians. I saw one group of 24 acting so badly at my watering hole they were banned for life. They came back a year later and were shocked that the owners meant it. It wasn't a drunken bunch either. Some high school hockey league with obnoxious parents that wanted food comped for being too slow after making orders that were simply out of hand for such a big group (and showing up a half hour early.) They were abusive to the waitress and didn't want to pay the auto-gratuity for large tables. The kids were fine. Did I mention they wanted separate checks?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, it really soured me on Germans for a while after that. They don't have the best reputation as tippers.

The waitresses that I've known say that it's hit or miss with Canadians. I saw one group of 24 acting so badly at my watering hole they were banned for life. They came back a year later and were shocked that the owners meant it. It wasn't a drunken bunch either. Some high school hockey league with obnoxious parents that wanted food comped for being too slow after making orders that were simply out of hand for such a big group (and showing up a half hour early.) They were abusive to the waitress and didn't want to pay the auto-gratuity for large tables. The kids were fine. Did I mention they wanted separate checks?

some people should not be allowed to travel.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
18 years ago, I "auditioned" several of these types of groups on the beach at "Boca Chica".
The best group, I asked to come play at my wedding at the Hotel Naco in SD.
They showed up, on time, in their best white shirts, black ties, and shinned shoes.
Played until about 1am.
They were, in a word,..."Fantastico"!
They were really proud to be invited, ate, drank, and made our wedding reception "Special"!
When they sang,"Por Amor", my tears flowed"Like Rain"!
A GREAT Dominican Memory!!!
We had a "Good Start", just ain't ending up too good!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Time for my all time favorite "Canadian Joke"!
And "YES Anna",you have heard it too many times before!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
What's the difference between a Canadian, and a Canoe?????

Sooner, or later, a Canoe "Tips"!!!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ken, be sure to catch them in the am before they have had a few with their appreciative clients. Nice bunch of cheerful guys and always polite even to Germans and Canadians.