Good restaurants in Punta Cana/Bavaro

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm heading to Punta Cana/Bavaro tomorrow for two days. I wondering where are some good places to eat? Sky gave me some good recommendations last week, but i was looking for a few more just in case we get kicked out of the first restaurant we go to. I eat a lot. A whole lot. Too much.

When i was in Bavaro 3 weeks ago, i ate at the Brazilian restaurant...you know the one--where they come around to your table with different kinda of meat until you cannot eat another bite and you finally projectile vomit across the table. That's exactly what happened to me, except that i being the classy person i am, i vomited into the champagne ice bucket next to us. But then i kept eating some more. I was going to get my money's worth one way or another. They finally asked us to leave.

I'm traveling with two Russians, so if you know of any good Russian food...does it even exist? I may send them over to the Russian restaurant and try something different.

Thanks, Frank

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Balicana in Los Corales and Venezia near Palma Real at the Bibijagua crossing are my favourites. Not sure about Russian restaurants though.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A bit obvious but I ate at captain cooks a few days ago while over there celebrating Beach Bars anniversary, and got a whole lot of food for a small amount of pesos, I was surprised. I got food I didn't even ask or pay for, starters and desert were free. I don't eat fish but the other people I could see eating it looked rather content.

About 100yrds down the road there is an Orange bar/restaurant that has live music and a nice party atmosphere, stays open till around 4am apparently although I only made it till 1am before dragged off to liquid.

Take a jacket, it's bloody cold over there right now, very strong breeze constantly!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Noah is one of the best. A very varied menu is not always a good sign but they manage to pull it off.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thumbs up for Noah

PJT will vouch for Noah, it has a good menu and quality food, one of the best in the area, and their prices are very reasonable. If you just want pizza, good ol Pizza Hut in the San Juan shopping mall is of good merit.

Regards,

PJT

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Venezia is a good place to eat. I've spent the afternoon looking on all of the sites for restaurant reviews and I can't find the one I'm looking for. It's a place I saw on the internet, Caf? Catnip. I just can't find it so I don't know if it's still there or not. Anyway you have some good options here Frnak. Good eating.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Also Nam Nam for good burgers, even tho i dont like how they handle theyr business... I think they make amazing food but are cluess about operating a restaurant...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
That's Onno's. The food is decent but hte drinks and dancing are the real reasons to go there.

About 100yrds down the road there is an Orange bar/restaurant that has live music and a nice party atmosphere, stays open till around 4am apparently although I only made it till 1am before dragged off to liquid.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
That's Onno's. The food is decent but hte drinks and dancing are the real reasons to go there.

The mixers were flat but the music very good. Must admit can't remember being in there before but seems to be a hot spot these days, a lot of people were still entering as I was leaving. Liquids has changed, knocked a wall down but still the bohemian, hippy, never leave your 20's atmosphere. Ok for an evening, couldn't do the crowd every week!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The mixers were flat but the music very good. Must admit can't remember being in there before but seems to be a hot spot these days, a lot of people were still entering as I was leaving. Liquids has changed, knocked a wall down but still the bohemian, hippy, never leave your 20's atmosphere. Ok for an evening, couldn't do the crowd every week!

I sometimes go to Onno's for the happy hour specials, but I really like it on Fri and Sat nights. They make strong drinks; I need to stay away from the "all you can drink" specials during the week. Or if I'm riding a motoconcho. Or if I'm trying to dance. Or... well you get the idea!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Nam Nam is good. I don't agree about not knowing how to run a restaurant. well.. maybe. it's more like being personally attending to by the hosts. VERY friendly. was just there last night for the first time. had one of the last two portions of a special dish.... a Serbian rolled cabbage thing... great. everyone else (group of 6) loved their food. the waitress and also (I assume) the owners were very friendly and accommodating. VERY small place... reminded me of the original version of Bali Cana. Mom and Pop... cooking in a little storefront... three or four tables on the front terrace. Great food. Unusual selections. Reasonable prices. actually, compared to the other joints in P.C. CHEAP prices. I'll be back again sometime before I leave on Saturday, if that's any indication.

OK... much to my dismay I have to report a SURPRISINGLY negative experience at one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE spots in P.C.... Non Solo Pizza. Food, as good as ever. service... as good as ever, (except the absence of the usual complimentary after dinner Mama Juana.. or aperitif... whatever.) Two problems... new shop and drink kind of bar right outside... VERY loud. (and I don't mind noise.) NOT Non Solo's fault. A young teen beggar kid haunting the side bar of the the restaurant along the dining area... CONSTANTLY gesturing, and even throwing small pieces of paper at our table to get attention. largely ignored by the waitress et. al. until our second request to have him removed. (after one of our party told him to scram a few times.) I know they can't help what happens outside of the place.. .but this kid was inside. Jury is still out on the question if Non Solo stays on our "must visit' list. they do deserve another chance after several years of excellent experiences.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I tried a very good Italian restaurant once in Veron. It is near the Cruce Veron if it is still there. Maybe a little dead around there since they opened the new road. I cant remember the name of the restaurant.

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
I'm a fan of the chicken nachos at Poseidon, but all of the places that have been mentioned are pretty good. Took my mom to Noah when she came to visit and OMG the chinola margarita is heavenly.

xo

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Nam Nam is good. I don't agree about not knowing how to run a restaurant. well.. maybe. it's more like being personally attending to by the hosts. VERY friendly. was just there last night for the first time. had one of the last two portions of a special dish.... a Serbian rolled cabbage thing... great. everyone else (group of 6) loved their food. the waitress and also (I assume) the owners were very friendly and accommodating. VERY small place... reminded me of the original version of Bali Cana. Mom and Pop... cooking in a little storefront... three or four tables on the front terrace. Great food. Unusual selections. Reasonable prices. actually, compared to the other joints in P.C. CHEAP prices. I'll be back again sometime before I leave on Saturday, if that's any indication.

OK... much to my dismay I have to report a SURPRISINGLY negative experience at one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE spots in P.C.... Non Solo Pizza. Food, as good as ever. service... as good as ever, (except the absence of the usual complimentary after dinner Mama Juana.. or aperitif... whatever.) Two problems... new shop and drink kind of bar right outside... VERY loud. (and I don't mind noise.) NOT Non Solo's fault. A young teen beggar kid haunting the side bar of the the restaurant along the dining area... CONSTANTLY gesturing, and even throwing small pieces of paper at our table to get attention. largely ignored by the waitress et. al. until our second request to have him removed. (after one of our party told him to scram a few times.) I know they can't help what happens outside of the place.. .but this kid was inside. Jury is still out on the question if Non Solo stays on our "must visit' list. they do deserve another chance after several years of excellent experiences.

What i mean is not about service/friendly.

More about that they smoke inside theyr restaurant -they also let theyr dog inside the restaurant, no problem with the dog outside actually like it.. But shouldnt go inside since inside = theyr kitchen.

They are very friendly and they are very good at what they are doing, but seriously isnt that hard to go smoke outside when you run a restaurant and not inside, directly in the kitchen?

I still go eat there everytime im in punta cana :)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I just ate at Noah's tonight and the Eggplant Roll appetizer was fantastic. We also had a pizza and that was fantastic as well.

We're now in the PalmaReal Mall and my question is this: what happened to the Wine bar that used to be here in the mall--where there was something like 20 different wines from around the world on tap? I used to hold my head underneath each tap and let the wine flow--by the end of the line i had traveled around the world...sometimes twice. By the end of the afternoon, I was a world traveler.

I miss that wine bar dammit!!

Frank

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I tried a very good Italian restaurant once in Veron. It is near the Cruce Veron if it is still there. Maybe a little dead around there since they opened the new road. I cant remember the name of the restaurant.

That place has been there forever. It is just around the corner coming from Bavaro heading right on your right side. It is a fenced in parking lot. The name escapes me. Food is pretty good there. Open all day.