Alisea Hotel and Spa in Las Terrenas

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
My wife and I just booked a two week stay here in Febuary.
Do any DR1ers have recent experiences here, be it good, bad or indiffernet?
Any comments on the restaurant at the Alisea would also be appreciated.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Oops....Hotel name is Alisei....I am sure nobody would have nit picked me over this but I thought I should admit my error.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Highly recommended, a well managed property. The restaurant has an excellent buffet breakfast including omelet station. Don't miss their lobster bisque at lunch or dinner.It's not Maine lobster but they make the best out of Caribbean lobster. The spa's services are excellent as well. Enjoy your stay.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Very good location. Walk across the street and you are on the beach. Walk down the beach away from town and you can walk for about 20 minutes to the end of the beach and than back again. The pool area is also very nice and they have a spa on premises. The restaurant is very good. There are also many restaurants in LT so try them all. Arrange a taxi to bring you and pick you up. I would not recommend that you walk the beach road after dark. If you plan on renting a car even better. Have fun. The weather is perfect this time of year.

LTSteve

drewboy

May 30, 2011
Just came back Wednesday from a 2 week stay. We've been 5 times and we love the place. Staff is great. Food is excellent.
We love the pool and the swim up bar. But you can walk to many other places to eat and drink also. They have the perfect location. Just a stroll to town but the beach is quiet enough too.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
Like LT Steve said. The beach road at night is dark for a stretch. Bring a couple of small flashlights. You don't want to trip on something if your out after dark and are walking back.

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
I didn't stay there but the hotel looked really clean. Food was good service was great. It seemed a little more expensive than most places in Fishermans villiage. The place in Fishermans villiage, closest to the hotel has the best cheap lunch specials, forget the name.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
"One Love" at the Fishermans Villiage has great food at cheap prices. Nice Deck on the ocean. Outdoor or indoor tables. We have Rum on the Patio at 8am every morning. Perhaps that's the place ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are not many motoconchos after dark going down the beach road. Pre arrange a ride if you are going to need one.

LTSteve

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
My husband and I are at the Alisei right now and we usually spend three months there (winter season). When you get here,
post it on this forum to let us know. I will be happy to give you ideas on places you should visit.

The Alisei Hotel is one of, if not the best hotel to stay in Las Terrenas. We also stay and recommend Balcones del Atlantico but
it is a bit pricey.

The name of the restaurant at Alisei is "Baraonda". Look it up on Trip Advisor. I have written a few revues. It is very good.

Good luck!

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Thank you so much for all the helpful responses thus far.
Much appreciated.
If there are any other hidden jems for eating establishments for lunch or dinner I would love to hear them.
We are fairly open minded when it comes to trying all sorts of establishments, be it gringo or local places.
Junniper - Thank you for your offer, enjoy your "winter" :glasses:

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
We had an excellent German lunch at Navia's Schmankerf Stad (look on tripadvisor) but you'll need a car.
We also tried a Russian restaurant right in town (Troijka? can't remember the spelling & can't find it on TA, but Terry at One Love could direct you. Best beef we've ever had in DR, cut with a fork...interesting establishment & good prices.
Agree with others about the Alisei & their restaurant.
We've never eaten at Mojitos yet but they've got the best rum punches, hands down...& hubby's tried a rum punch everywhere in LT.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have been to Alisei quite a lot of times so wanted to give my feedback. Obviously just my personal opinion but I work in the hotel industry. A few things I didn't like. At the weekend it can get very full , and the pool isn't really big enough for all the rooms they have, so it does get crowded with people drinking at the swim-up bar and basically just standing around. Twice I've been when it has been full of really loud Dominicans, loads of children, lots and lots of noise, it felt a bit like Boca Chica beach during Samana Santa to be honest. In the week it's quiet and nice.

They play quite loud music most of the day beside the pool, which means if you want to sit and chill out and read a book you can't without listening to the thud thud thud of the bass. There's nowhere really you can get away from the music, even on the balconies of the apartments you can still hear it.

The restaurant is good, but very expensive for what it is. I think the mains were coming in at about RD$600 for a salad. A light lunch for three of us cost RD$4000. And it was a light lunch.

The kitchens lack an oven and also no microwave, so cooking for yourself you're restricted to the stove top. And I found the interiors of the apartments very basic, they've built all the kitchens in cheap plywood, no light fittings anywhere just moulded plaster.

The beds in the second bedroom (twin beds) are extremely uncomfortable. Maybe OK for a couple of young children, but not good for adults. The chalets with an upstairs only have two double beds which can't be split, so if you're travelling as anything other than two couples, these can't be split.

The beach in front has a lot of rocks in the water, you have to walk slightly to the right and there's a little hut, and this we found was the only soft sandy part. Otherwise it is hard to get out into the water to swim.

The best part is the massage, it's only US$30 or so for a full body massage in the spa and worth every cent. Try to get the male masseur, he really is one of the best on the island.

I realise it is a nice hotel, but I just thought I'd give you some honest feedback.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I've just re-read my post from yesterday and I'm worried it's really negative.

Honestly the Alisei is a nice hotel, I don't want anyone to think otherwise. The rooms are spotlessly clean, the staff try very hard, the location is great, the breakfast is very good. Like anywhere there are downsides which I commented on in my previous post, but I'd still happily go back there, especially mid week.

I've just re-read my post from yesterday and I'm worried it's really negative.

Honestly the Alisei is a nice hotel, I don't want anyone to think otherwise. The rooms are spotlessly clean, the staff try very hard, the location is great, the breakfast is very good. Like anywhere there are downsides which I commented on in my previous post, but I'd still happily go back there, especially mid week.

TP

I think we know what you meant & it sounds like your review is correct.

Alisei is a place to bring your sand to the beach.

It's in a great location and if the playa rocks are a problem, just walk down the beach.

I like Hotel LaTortuga, only problem they have is its too quiet.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Tropical Paul must have gone during a holliday weekend, that's when a lot of Dominicans come up. They and their children
do seem to be pretty noisy, I agree with that.

The music at the pool bar is also loud at times, but all you have to do is tell them to lower the volume and they comply. I as
well as management have told them many times to keep the volume low but they seem to forget. Like with most Dominicans, you have to remind them everyday. :cheeky:

The restaurant is not any more expensive than any other decent restaurant in the area, unless you want to venture out to
one of the Dominican comedores where you can ingest more than just food (amoebas for example). I know that Baraonda
Restaurant operates with the American "ServSafe Food Handler" standard.

Some of the apartments have ovens in the kitchen, all you have to do is ask them to give you one of those.

Again, not all the apartments are the same, you should tell them what your needs are and I am sure they will try to
accommodate you. The mattress in our unit is the most comfortable mattress we have ever had, but it all depends on
what you are used to.

And again, if you are looking for a quiet place, larger pool, big flat screen TVs, state of the art kitchens that are fully equipped,
two bedrooms and huge terraces professionally decorated, than you need to go to Balcones del Atlantico at $460.00 per night.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
It sounds like the food is pretty expensive and all inclusive is not an option. I think it is located pretty close to some other restaurants though, right? How are the prices in town for a decent meal? It looks like breakfast is included but no other meals or drinks.

How are the drink prices? I need a couple of tropical drinks, you know.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It sounds like the food is pretty expensive and all inclusive is not an option. I think it is located pretty close to some other restaurants though, right? How are the prices in town for a decent meal? It looks like breakfast is included but no other meals or drinks.

How are the drink prices? I need a couple of tropical drinks, you know.

Alisea is not located re.al close to the downtown and fisherman's village restaurants. It is about a 10 minute walk down the beach road to the fisherman's village and another 5 minutes to town. I would not recommend you do this after dark. There are no all inclusives in Las Terrenas itself but there are a number of great restaurants at varying prices. Restaurant prices generally are reasonable compared to North America or Europe. Try Tres Caravelles(general fare) Navias,German) Mojitos(Cuban) La Yuca Caliente, (Itlalian), Luis (on the beach in Coson) seafood (lunch only) Hotel Atlantis (Playa Bonita) French. You can get a very good meal from about $12-15usds per person. Drink prices vary but it will certainly not be outrageous. Again you can spend from $10 to $40 per person depending on the meal and the restaurant but generally food is priced right. At Alisea you have a kitchenette and can make your own meals also.

LTSTeve