Retired canadian introduction

smythi

Jan 18, 2014
Hello to everybody,

I have been living in the DR for the past 6 years with my dominican wife. I couldn?t be happier with my dominican extended family and all the friends I have made here. I am somewhat dissabled so am unable to do many things but all the important things for my life here are taken care of. If I would have stayed in canada my doctor was almost forcing me to live in a retirement apartment with full nursing care. Maybe good in it?s own way but I like it here.

We built a house which also serves as a colmado tipico. One of my wifes girls runs it. We have an older toyota corolla....great car for this country. We have many business dealings, mostly with family, and not all is perfect but no worse than in Canada IMHO.

I am currently helping many dominican and haitian?s find work in canada mostly picking fruit as TFW. My time is as a volunteer but now with so many, more than 150, being helped some have to pay a little.

I am all for helping those that want to help themselves.

I will be making some posts in the future because I think I can make a difference. For example my wife?s family built our house for far less than what I have read on other posts. It doesn?t cost a fortune to build a basic house here but there are a lot of pitfalls to be avoided. My background is in construction so I have that advantage.

Ok so enough intro....

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great post, great attitude. Where in the DR are you?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I found the placement of footings and the block construction more or less the way I learned to do it, other than the mudding and mixing methods. The use of rebar is almost the same. The plumbing and electrical are quite different. There is more and more drywall being installed here with use of metal studs and grounding of electrical is more common place than the past.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
From one canuck to another welcome to dr1. You sound like you have a good start and very good awareness about the DR.
Where in the country are you situated.

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
?Bienvenidos, Smythi! I too am married to a Dominican woman who I met in La Romana twenty-years ago. While we live in the States, we are very fortunate to have a supportive extended family whenever we go back home to visit. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome....we come from the Canadian Southern Most Province...Michigan....glad to hear you are enjoying life here...only been her for 18months and life is good!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi there and welcome. I am sure we will get to read some interesting posts from you in the future, just by judging your great intro. Keep up the great work re: finding work for others, so kind of you ... and yes, it is a great feeling to help those who help themselves... see you around :)

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Great man and welcome to my beloved country and I hope that you keep on enjoying yourself as you stated here. Life is full of surprise everywhere that we live.