african student killed in SD

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he was a student in UTESA, originally from equatorial guinea. he was getting into a carro publico when those inside tried to attack him. he resisted and was shot and thrown out of the car:
Matan estudiante africano que resisti? asalto - DiarioLibre.com

one of the comments corrects the name of the victim: Nombre correcto: Robustiano Ol? Nvumba Asangono. Pa?s: Guinea Ecuatorial. Nacionalidad: ecuatoguineana. (dicho sea de paso, el ?nico pa?s hispano de ?frica)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
he was a student in UTESA, originally from equatorial guinea. he was getting into a carro publico when those inside tried to attack him. he resisted and was shot and thrown out of the car:
Matan estudiante africano que resisti? asalto - DiarioLibre.com

one of the comments corrects the name of the victim: Nombre correcto: Robustiano Ol? Nvumba Asangono. Pa?s: Guinea Ecuatorial. Nacionalidad: ecuatoguineana. (dicho sea de paso, el ?nico pa?s hispano de ?frica)

maybe thought he was Haitian...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
is it a reason to kill him?
I guess an african student who can afford to studying abroad must be quite wealthy.
And so did he probably look. Thats why the bastards attacked him... To get dinero as usual
I hope they get shot as soon as possible and go to hell...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
is it a reason to kill him?
I guess an african student who can afford to studying abroad must be quite wealthy.
And so did he probably look. Thats why the bastards attacked him... To get dinero as usual
I hope they get shot as soon as possible and go to hell...

i see nothing that says he was robbed. he was shot and kicked out of the cab. maybe they did not want him sitting beside them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read it that the attackers tried to attack him, he resisted and was shot. to me it looks like they attempted to rob him. dislike for haitians has limits.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you read it with some form of logic, I know logic is a dangerous concept in DR reporting, but giving them the benefit,

'trataron de asaltarlo, pero al resistirse le dispararon y lo lanzaron del veh?culo al pavimento'.

Pretty clear to me!

Now I know you will look for the argumentative side, but would he have resisted anything else? If he was defending himself it would logically state so, not resisted.

Besides that, I can not recall a shooting here when there was no gain, money or something else was at stake. Even here people don't just go around shooting people for no reason.

I know DV8 will prove me wrong on that one some how, but I can't recall senseless killings of strangers, this isn't America.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know DV8 will prove me wrong on that one some how, but I can't recall senseless killings of strangers, this isn't America.

there was once a retired police/military who wanted a guagua to stop in the middle of the intersection threatening to shoot other passenger if the driver did not stop. he then put a bullet in the head of a girl sitting beside him. she was in her 20's.

in any case, although it does not specifically say "robar" i assume the motive was a robbery.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I doubt a single Haitian would have an accent like this:

[video=youtube;2ZshUwMllJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZshUwMllJY[/video]

There is no way any Dominican will confuse that accent with the typical Haitian accent when they speak Spanish. And if he was being mugged, he most likely said a word or two making it clear he was not a Haitian simply by his accent.

Needless to say that I side with those that say this guy was simply an opportunity for muggers and how he looked meant nothing. He was even getting into a p?blico, which is not an action most Dominicans equate with having much money. The muggers saw an opportunity for quick cash, how the guy looked probably was not even registered (assuming he was not very big and muscular, which I think could had made a difference.)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The confusing part of this is how the report ends, all about the victim, no aftermath other than those helping him to clinic.

As far as mistaking the accent, I disagree, there are some ignorant people around.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it says at the beginning the police is looking for the perpetrators of the crime.

i will keep on reporting if i see followup articles on that.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I meant how this could happen in a publico or guagua and there was not one person in that car who would report on this or come forward with something. I know it is difficult, and people don't get involved in anything to do with police for fear of becoming victims themselves, but it seems so dismissive of a young life that this happens at 9.45 (and I was out at that time last night, driving and the streets were hot as hell, police everywhere), and they got away with it. We even have PM on EVERY street, literally and there is no reaction from them. This was seen by PN or PM for sure, and no reaction, what are these morons on the streets for, just to intimidate tourists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nonsense. autopista duarte is one of the biggest roads in SD, police is more likely to patrol barrios and be present in the city center. 9.45 pm is pitch black. a cop stationed 100 meters away would have seen nothing and heard nothing, given the traffic.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't know not all Africans look like Haitian. I am african, was never mistaken for an Haitian, many Dominicans are my complexion.

As far as the accent, I think Dominicans have lived close to Haitians so long that they recognize in a nanosecond. My first language is French and I was never told I sounded like an Haitian.

Sounds like a robbery turned bad on a foreigner who could have been seen as an easy target.

Emp_Jagi

Jan 19, 2014
that's sad but just curious. How different is the Haitian accent vs African. I mean is it worse? closer to the dominican one. How can you differentiate from two foreigners who are about the same complexion whether they Haitian or African. Or is it just an island thing since DR has been living with Haitians for years so they simply know.

In another note, I been lurking this site for a few years now and I almost never saw robbery against Haitians. I guess among all the foreigners they the least to get robbed. You would almost think as if Haitian are common citizens.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
nonsense. autopista duarte is one of the biggest roads in SD, police is more likely to patrol barrios and be present in the city center. 9.45 pm is pitch black. a cop stationed 100 meters away would have seen nothing and heard nothing, given the traffic.

I don't think so MP are stations on EVERY street corner, everywhere. When was the last time you were here in the capital at night? (I drive here daily, morning noon and night). These days you can not drive for 20 seconds without seeing a PN jeep slowing somewhere. This city has more military and police than pedestrians these days. 9.45, not a significant amount if traffic on the road, you can hear a gunshot a long way off, see it just as clearly without many pedestrians on the sidewalks.
You say a cop stations 100 mtrs away wouldn't have seen anything, I can't remember driving a 100 mtrs gap between some enforcement on the street.
And what gives you idea PM are more likely in the barrios? You got that wrong, for sure. PN are more likely to go into the barrios, but PM are patrolling every major road and street in the capital.

Fair enough, depends where on duarte it occurred and for whatever reason, he has gotten away, game over.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't think so MP are stations on EVERY street corner, everywhere.

again, nonsense, and you know it. how many corners in SD? how many policeman/military? please, stop with this crap. you want to believe that the police saw everything and did nothing because the victim was black. yada yada yada, dominican yada yada yada haitians... no.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
again, nonsense, and you know it. how many corners in SD? how many policeman/military? please, stop with this crap. you want to believe that the police saw everything and did nothing because the victim was black. yada yada yada, dominican yada yada yada haitians... no.

Where did I say that? No, you stop with this crap, putting words in my mouth. Now again, when were you last in the capital? It is very unfortunate if this guy was killed in a rare area that there is no PM or PN, the odds are tiny on that happening these days. This roving reporter persona is in your mind DV8, if it were real then I could take your opinion on the capital as genuine experience, not an idea on reality derived from google.
You have no idea how many PM and PN there are on the streets these days, it resembles a war zone.
Also please point out anywhere I have mentioned colour, come on DV8, you are our reporter, surely your observation skills are good enough to define what you write about others, or are you operating on DR standards of observation and just making sh1t up?

Last edited: