Some Sosua Food Observations...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
First and probably biggest news...Grupo Ramos is moving full steam ahead with the construction of the new Super Pola. I have passed by several times after 8:00 pm and they are out there working under flood lights.

The former Pluto's/Happy Bar referenced in an earlier post is NOT going to be a Chef Pepper (Dammmmn!!) The sign on the door says....wait for it... "Little New York Pizza"...really? Do you think they meant "Little Italy" Pizza? I do. (Reminds me of the "American Dinner" snafu in Cabarete). Also, if there's one cuisine Sosua is not lacking it's Pizza!

Speaking of Cuisine Sosua IS lacking is Cajun..yep, Real N'awlins Creole..with Shrimp 'n Grits, Gumbo, Shrimp Po'boys, etc. A new place opened on the deck of The Victoria House Hotel called Bourbon Street. The food was ok (definitely has potential), the view may be the best in Sosua...and they have great 200 peso lunch specials...Just not sure if there's enough call for Cajun in Sosua and they'll have a tough time letting people know it's there, as there's not much foot traffic in that part of town...so check it out while it's still open! I really wish them well...the owner seems like a nice guy and I LOVE Cajun food!!

I tried the new restaurant at the Ocean Club...the food was excellent but really pricey...like St. Barts pricey...but the ambience, service, and view are St. Barts worthy!

Had breakfast at Al Porto at Sosua Ocean Village...haven't been there in a while...won't be in a hurry to go back...the view and ambiance are great, but the food and service weren't commensurate with the price. Had a coffee and omelet at Cafe Cubano the next day that was much better and probably half the price...the view wasn't much to write home about though!

Last but not least...Tried the new All-you-can-eat-for-350-pesos-German-BBQ at Rancho Tipico (next to Passions) on Thursday. The restaurant is run by the guy who started the all-you-can-eat-for-350-pesos-German-BBQ at Good Old Germany on the Highway a couple of years ago. He wants to go head to head with his old place by offering roughly the same thing for exactly the same price...on the same night. The big difference? Rancho Tipico's Buffet starts at 6:30...the other one starts at 7:00...oh, and all the waitresses are dressed in costume...like Police Officers and School Girls. Really.

Oh, by the way...at no time during any of those meals was I offered sex or drugs, mugged, shot, hassled by vendors, crooked cops, or shoe-shine boys, extorted or otherwise conned out of any money...well, maybe a little at Ocean Club...but the Imported Angus Filet was worth it!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
dz..I don't know how or why a 'dislike' is showing here....I just read the damn thing, get to the bottom, and there's the 'dislike' sign. Like your review btw.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
200 pesos is a great price for lunch at the restaurant at The Victoria House hotel. The view is wonderful and I hope they make a go of it. We will make it a regular stop.

May 29, 2006
I wonder if the new owners of the Pluuto's site have any idea of what "NY pizza" means. They don't have the right equipment for it. I'll be surprised if they even use the wooden paddles.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Rancho Tipico's Buffet starts at 6:30...the other one starts at 7:00...oh, and all the waitresses are dressed in costume...like Police Officers and School Girls. Really.

Ok, So now we know what happened to all those old Passion's outfits. Good food report.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I went to that BBQ next to Passion, all was good except some of the meat was a bit dry, it's a shame if they spend all that money on the meat but fail on the cooking bit and final delivery. They also need some more light on where the self-service table is, so you can see what you're picking up.

All in all a great addition - as long as you can resist not to eat too much (!), just need some fine-tuning, I saw the outfits alone brining in some business !? (I guess those wondering to passion and realising it's close just carry on and think this is the new passion .... !? LOL )

Will visit the The Victoria House for lunch at the first opportunity, I like those who are making an effort to attract clients by giving special discount and offers - in the climate that seems everyone else in this town is doing it the Dominican way by raising their prices and adding service charges, taxes and other nonsense to make up for lack of business.... !?!?