donations and customs

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
I am visiting this week and bringing school supplies. How will customs handle this? I heard they may charge an import tariff. Is that correct?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I can't imagine why, unless you are bringing in computers for the school.

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
I have 100 swimsuits donated by Dolfin Swimming with an invoice stating they were donated. I also bought 20 pairs of goggles. They are for the Mariposa DR Foundation. I volunteer there in the summer and teach swimming. I also have assorted school supplies my students at home donated

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Can you get a letter, in Spanish, from the Mariposa Foundation? If it is an "organizaci?n sin fines de lucro" in the DR, that might carry some weight. In fact, if they are such an organization, they should be able to arrange Customs clearance for you. I do that routinely for our outreach groups when they are arriving with medications and equipment.

If not, that number of swimsuits and goggles will have Customs thinking that you are planning to resell them. In that case you might end up having to pay a duty, or a "propina" or allow the Customs inspectors to help themselves to some of the items.

Through which airport will you travel? Some airports have X-Ray equipment and your bags might be examined that way. Are you traveling scheduled air or a Canadian charter? If scheduled air, Customs might search your bags. If a charter from Canada, a search is far less likely.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Anyhow you need to pay what customs officer will ask for....as well if it is written that is free of fees.
:)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Don't worry

I am visiting this week and bringing school supplies. How will customs handle this? I heard they may charge an import tariff. Is that correct?

Just keep it simple and don't worry :nervous:. If customs asks, tell them they are donations of school supplies (utiles escolares). Don't offer too much more information, but if they want to know what the value is, tell them under US$200 .

About 99% of the time the officers will smile and wave you through.

PJT has been coordinating and receiving school donations from visitors to the Punta Cana tourist zone for years and there has not been one incident reported of tariffs being applied.

Thank you for your kindness.

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just keep it simple and don't worry :nervous:. If customs asks, tell them they are donations of school supplies (utiles escolares). Don't offer too much more information, but if they want to know what the value is, tell them under US$200 .

About 99% of the time the officers will smile and wave you through.

PJT has been coordinating and receiving school donations from visitors to the Punta Cana tourist zone for years and there has not been one incident reported of tariffs being applied.

Thank you for your kindness.

Regards,

PJT

my good friend, a physician from Fort Lauderdale, brought in 4 wheelchairs to donate as gifts to the handicapped. he explained his purpose, and aduanas tried to hammer him with some serious duties. he just left them where they were, and walked away. i guess some crook in aduanas sold them himself.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
my good friend, a physician from Fort Lauderdale, brought in 4 wheelchairs to donate as gifts to the handicapped. he explained his purpose, and aduanas tried to hammer him with some serious duties. he just left them where they were, and walked away. i guess some crook in aduanas sold them himself.

There is a very big difference between a tourist suitcase of pencils, erasers, paper, crayons, and ect; vs four wheelchairs. A used wheelchair can sell for US$100. Four wheelchairs arriving as donations would be subject to customs taxes as the total value is above US$200. Even if the good doc had said they were of no cost, customs has a requirement to assess a tax based upon the fair market value of the equipment.

It is upsetting this happened to your friend. However, customs was correct. The doctor should have arrived with some paperwork identifying the equipment, the intent of donating, and his asking for a waiver of customs fees.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "100 Bathing Suits" could be a "Red Flag".
The "Letter" stating that they are "Donations" is of little or no value, any 6 year old Dominican can get an "Official Letter" saying anything they want.
You can only do so much, your aim is good, hope for "God's Blessing"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
Update: I acquired a letter from the school and was prepared to show it if questioned about the large number of suits and goggles. I declared everything on the customs form, upon entry. As I went through customs, I prepared myself for a hassle. Nothing. All was well. I wasn't questioned and the workers barely even looked at me.