Restaurants owned by expats in SD

Jan 9, 2004
Does anyone know of any good restaurants that are owned by expats in Santo Domingo?

Chalet Suisso always had good food.

The owner sold out a couple years ago and it is now renamed Vienna Caribe. I ate there last year and nothing stood out..but that might be because they had a new menu and my favorite dish was no longer being served.

Always enjoyed the music...60's-80's American and on Saturday's, I think, the old owner had live music.

It is on the Malecon heading west after the University del Caribe.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Coach's in the colonial zone. It is on Hostas 2 or 3 blocks off the conde directly across from the old hospital ruins.

colonial

Feb 11, 2013
Pate Palo is not owned by an American but rather a Dutchman who has lived here a long time. Great food but you will spend 2,000 RD per person.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Pate Palo is not owned by an American but rather a Dutchman who has lived here a long time. Great food but you will spend 2,000 RD per person.

2000 pesos by person... Without drink!!!!

But the best of the best in SD in my opinion!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think most restaurants in DR are owned by european foreigners...at least in SD
Maybe not most but certainly a lot of expats or immigrants: Baladi and La Libanesa are Lebanese, La Lasa?a are Italians, Falafel is Israeli, etc.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I am curious as to why ex-pat owned. There many very fine restaurants that are locally owned. Meson de Bari in the CZ comes to mind. Just wondering.....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think the OP is more interested in knowing if opening a restaurant is a good business for an expat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think the OP is more interested in knowing if opening a restaurant is a good business for an expat.

exactly, this is how i read the intention of this post as well, simply checking whether an expat can open well functioning restaurant bringing decent profits.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Go to Pat e Palo you would not regret it and you will regret it not going. Excellent food and great ambient as well as the location and yes 2000.00RD includes local drinks.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
exactly, this is how i read the intention of this post as well, simply checking whether an expat can open well functioning restaurant bringing decent profits.
Btw, I believe a restaurant in SD an be a decent business but only if you have serious capital to invest and to survive start up time and even more important, if you know the restaurant business from vast experience elsewhere.

A family member (not an expat) bought a reknown restaurant in SD about 1,5 year ago, doesn't (didn't) know squat about restaurant business and ended up paying lots of money in partly lost investments and later consultancy fees on experts to get him on the right track. He's done a good job though but it cost him much and he IS Dominican and this restaurant, though almost bankrupt when he bought it, had a very good name since over 20 years.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
That would be silly. Everybody knows a bar on the beach is the way to go...

Wait, do you mean a beach bar is a surefire winner? I've never had a restaurant or bar before, but it looks really easy on TV. I was seriously thinking of using my life savings and setting something up around high season in May or June. That way, it would be profitable immediately.

We'd specialize in Presidentes (a hard-to-find, premium beverage, I've heard), served by fetching ladies of somewhat dubious morality.

Whadayathink?