Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Sosua Beach Music

  1. #11
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interview with Antony Santos about the song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGtOEpYwXP4

  2. #12
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Voy P'alla was the first bachata played on Dominican radio. It was done as a merengue cover with a female singer and when it became popular the bachata version of it took off.

    Does anyone know what persiana means? Shutter?
    venetian blinds, i think.

  3. #13
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post

    Does anyone know what persiana means? Shutter?
    Venetian blinds, slatted shutters. The old style windows that I have, the kind where you turn the handle and a number of sections of glass open up, are also called persianas. I insist on keeping those windows because it is possible to keep them partly open on rainy days.

  4. #14
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It must have been something that used to open like a door or be unbolted 20 something years ago when the song was written. The meaning I got was the girl was suppose to unlock her windows so she could elope.

  5. #15
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    It must have been something that used to open like a door or be unbolted 20 something years ago when the song was written. The meaning I got was the girl was suppose to unlock her windows so she could elope.
    The dictionary definition not always the same as how a word is used here. You are probably right.

  6. #16
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i was just commenting on the tones of the instruments. the sound of the pen on the grater thing around 1.35 sounds really correct.
    I don't understand. What sort of measurement is that and how is it obtained? How are you able to pick out a single sound and attach a value to it? Are there instruments you use to get these measurements?

  7. #17
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe they're called ears..

  8. #18
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I don't understand. What sort of measurement is that and how is it obtained? How are you able to pick out a single sound and attach a value to it? Are there instruments you use to get these measurements?
    i have been around sound reproduction for over 50 years. i have been to innumerable live concerts, and i know how instruments sound. what you have posted sounds accurate, because it has not been doctored and compressed in a studio..

    measurements don't tell the true story. you can build an amplifier circuit, crank in horrendous amounts of feedback, and it will measure wonderfully on an oscilloscope. it might sound like crap, though.

  9. Likes Ken liked this post
  10. #19
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Voy P'alla was the first bachata played on Dominican radio. It was done as a merengue cover with a female singer and when it became popular the bachata version of it took off.

    Does anyone know what persiana means? Shutter?
    Not even close...Bachata had been on the radio for decades before that. Ever heard of Eladio Romero Santos, Aridia Ventura, Marino Perez, Ramon Cordero, Luis Segura, Leonardo Paniagua, Juan Bautista, etc...heck even Blas Duran was before that time...

    Here's a sample of old bachatas sang by the some of the guys that started the whole thing back in the 60's / 70's.


  11. #20
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know Bachata goes way back before Santos, but getting radio play was different because many of the older Bachata songs were sexually suggestive, usually using some metaphor about food. Santos and later Raulin started a new wave with more romantic songs of bitterness. My Spanish isn't that great, but a song about "sucking the seed" is pretty obviously not just about some mango..


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •