You might like this place

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As many of you know, Santiago has several acceptable places to eat Chinese.

The Pez Dorado is the classic restaurant of Santiago, THE place to have a very good meal.
There are a multitude of smaller places, such as the Super Rico on Duarte or the place out by the
highway on the left as you head to Santo Domingo.

Yesterday, the two boys were here doing some work around the Hovel and when it came time to get something to eat, one of them suggested a new, to me, place out towards Gurabo: Restaurant Deli Mas, on the Carretera Luperon #21 almost in front of Cecomsa.

We tried it (I tried it, they had been there before) and we bought Chou Mein, Cho-fan, egg rolls and tostones.

I have to say that I enjoyed the food. To my taste it was superior to Super Rico (and remember that I once mentioned seeing a flock of Chinese families eating there--with the supposition that it must be pretty good) and the egg rolls were--again, to my taste--far superior, in fact better than the Pez Dorado.

So, you might give it a try and we can compare notes.

Cordially,

HB

(809 581 5726, and they deliver)--You'd better have good Spanish or Cantonese, I think.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Is it closed to PriceSmart, or the second stop of Cari Tour bus stop? I saw one Chinese restaurant in the main road across from that bus station.

Aug 6, 2006
Is it closed to PriceSmart, or the second stop of Cari Tour bus stop? I saw one Chinese restaurant in the main road across from that bus station.

Foreign food is not something Dominicans as a group do well. The most awful Mexican and Chinese food I have ever eaten were lame attempts unequaled in Ecuador, the US and Argentina.

The runner up was a Hong Kong guy who used to run something called O'Rice, which he thought of as a Chinese McDonalds, in Miami. Plastic plates and cutlery and Lipton teabags. Ugh! I don't think much of PF Changs, either. But there was a place in SD that made really bad cow mein AND then served it after way too long on the steam table.

If there are a lot of Chinese customers, that is a good sign of good Chinese food.

Good Chinese restaurant cooking requires more knowledge than most non-Chinese seem to have.

Bad things about Chinese restaurants outside the US: no free tea, no ice water and no fortune cookie.

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com

It is allmost in front of Cecomsa at Luperon street and allmost next to Trebol supermercado at the trafficlights..

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
HB, do you know what the prices run for a plate?

Cho Fan is about $140. I went there last week. The food is really good. I usually get the sweet chicken (I think thats what its called). It's basically chicken in duck sauce. The amount of food they give is good for 2 people. The only thing I don't like is that they don't accept CC; but other than that the food and service is good. Oh, and parking can be a problem since it is on the Gregorio Luperon Ave and backing out is dangerous cause of the on coming traffic.

While on the subject, there is a nice place in Las Colinas, right by McDonald's called Veggi n Sabor. Its Vegetarian restaurant but they serve cho fan and Lo Mein and the rest. It is really really good.

Aug 6, 2006
Mr. Onassis , I hope your not saying you can't get good Chinese in the US .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, you can. But it will be cooked by a Chinese cook nearly 100% of the time. I believe that anyone can cook good Chinese food, but the fact it that if the cook is not Chinese, this makes it more unlikely. The same is likely to be true in most places. As I said, the very WORST Chinese food I have ever had was in Santo Domingo. I am not saying that there is no good Chinese food there, just that on one occasion, many years ago. I had some really bad Chinese food there, and I asked the waiter if the cook was Chinese and he shook his head no, rather sadly, I thought.

May 5, 2007
Most people (outside of China) would not enjoy "real" Chinese food such as bugs, snakes, monkey brains and the ever popular dried Yak blood. Not much gooey, fried, sweet sauced up food in China unless it is a tourist oriented restaurant

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most people (outside of China) would not enjoy "real" Chinese food such as bugs, snakes, monkey brains and the ever popular dried Yak blood. Not much gooey, fried, sweet sauced up food in China unless it is a tourist oriented restaurant

Near our home in NJ is a GIANT Asian supermarket, with amazing produce and fish. Last time I was there, I asked for small lobster tails [I was making paella], so they pointed me to a specific frozen food aisle. Let me tell you, the vacuum packed bugs I saw there grossed me out!!

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Foreign food is not something Dominicans as a group do well. The most awful Mexican and Chinese food I have ever eaten were lame attempts unequaled in Ecuador, the US and Argentina.

The runner up was a Hong Kong guy who used to run something called O'Rice, which he thought of as a Chinese McDonalds, in Miami. Plastic plates and cutlery and Lipton teabags. Ugh! I don't think much of PF Changs, either. But there was a place in SD that made really bad cow mein AND then served it after way too long on the steam table.

If there are a lot of Chinese customers, that is a good sign of good Chinese food.

Good Chinese restaurant cooking requires more knowledge than most non-Chinese seem to have.

Bad things about Chinese restaurants outside the US: no free tea, no ice water and no fortune cookie.

There goes my McFongo idea........

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I tried deli-mas today and the eggrolls were pretty good. The pollo agridulce was ok and the arroz frito was ok.. I would say it's close to expreso jade in terms of tastiness with lower prices. One thing that grossed me out was a customer complained he wanted a different muslo and was putting his hands all over it and the lady took it back and put it in the pile to be sold again.. I said something about it and she threw it out but still it's kinda disheartening to see that.

As far as chinese food abroad, the best chinese food I've ever had was actually in Peru, it's called chifa and it's absolutely delicious.