RVs in the DR

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
I have inherited property in Juan Dolio and Hato Mayor. I want to bring an RV ( a 36 foot 1987 motorhome) to temporarily drive onto each property so that I can have a place to live while I check out each property for 6 months in each so I can figure out what to and save money on hotels and or apartments, and then bring it back to the US after I,m finished.

I understand that the DR gov does not allow the entrance of a vehicle on a temporary basis.

Ar there any RV companies in the DR were I can buy a motorhome ?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ahmmm....... 6.am time for coffee, open door, for christ sake where are my wheels!!!!!:laugh:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...I understand that the DR gov does not allow the entrance of a vehicle on a temporary basis...
Where are you from? I see cars with American license plates all the time, some of them come by ferry, ballplayers bring their favorite vehicles by plane for their vacation.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
Right now I live in Miami and the Consulate here was not very knowledgeable. I also want to set up a painting tour were I can take artists for a plain air experience in different areas of the country. But first I would like to bring my own rv and sit on the property while I figure out what to build on it...like do an onsite layout...visualize, get in touch with professionals about the project.
If its so unsafe in the DR ( I came to the US as a 9 yr old boy so I'm American mentality) I'll sell out and build somewhere else.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
thats so funny!...But I guess its reality. I havea lot ofrelatives in the DR I never met so I think...how do they live in a country filled with so much lawlessness?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
In the past three years, I have seen one r.v. in the country, and everyone stared at it.

Believe it or not, it will be cheaper to build a small concrete block house on each property than to purchase and import a recreational vehicle. I'm talking a 12' x 20' basic concrete-block building with concrete floor and roof. Purchase a portable toilet, camp shower with five gallon bucket, stovetop and gas can, and bed with mattress. When you get tired of living in one place, move it all to the next place, and you've increased the value of the property, should you decide to sell it.

To live in an RV, you will have to either supply a generator or import all the electrical hookups. And my understanding is, you have to be a resident in order to import a vehicle (at least, that was the info I was given five years ago).

An RV here would be akin to living in an oven. They work in Florida because there is regular electricity in Florida, and in the event of a hurricane, they can be driven north. I suppose one could drive away from the eye of the hurricane, but all the roads will be washed out.

And finally, the next time you are here, note all of the low-hanging wires leading up to your property. You'll definitely want a low-riding r.v., should you decide to go that route.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
? Where are the RV's ?

In PJT's honest opinion this makes no sense as the hassle to ship, insure, and document a RV to enter the country for six months is not worth the steam off your poop. Keep things simple, don't complicate your visit.

Your idea is rarely done in the country, if at all, for good reason.

The monies you would invest to enter the vehicle into the country could be used towards housing and local transportation.

Don't know if there are RV sales in the RD as they are not seen on the roadways. Maybe other resident posters may know.

Good luck and regards,

PJT