Authentic recipes for use while we're in the Dominican?

5lilms

Jan 27, 2014
Hi all - I'm new here. We visited Uvero Alto last November and plan to go again this year. We stayed in a condo while there and plan to stay at the same condo this year. Last year, it was just couples, but we plan to take our kids this year (7 kids between 2 couples). So, we won't be eating out nearly as much and will need Dominican recipes to take with us.

The reason is because last year we noticed that American foods are very expensive at the market while the foods that aren't very familiar to us are much cheaper. So, we want to buy the most common Dominican foods for our meals so we aren't paying so much for our groceries. So, I'm in search of tried and true Dominican recipes for use during our stay. And, nothing too difficult to prepare, please. Thanks so much!

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I second the Aunt Claras kitchen cookbook, however , you biggest problem will probably be getting your kids to try something different. I think you will be getting lot of yuuuuuks! HAHA! If you are not here for very long you will not break the bank buying familiar food for them, those of us who live here on a permanent basis gradually try to buy what is produced here when possible.
Plan on lots of chicken, rice and veggies . Limit junk food. Please enjoy your stay!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course, as a contributor (a very small one) to Aunt Clara's book, I can vouch for it.

One thing you will notice is that rice is a key element. Dominicans cook their rice with oil and they generally get what is known as "con-con"--hard, partially burned rice, stuck to the bottom of the cooking utensil (or pot)....I do not. I cook rice the Chinese way: KISS-> Measure out the rice, wash it until the water runs clear. Put it in the pot with a teaspoon of salt. Add the same amount of water + just a little more. Put on fire until it bubbles, cover, lower fire until barely simmering, cook for 15-18 minutes, turn off fire, let stand for 20 minutes.(DO NOT UNCOVER). After the 20 minutes, then Uncover, stir, serve. No con con....all good.

That said, con-con is considered a delicacy and often fought over at the table...it goes great with soups, but like popcorn can be very bad for the teeth.

Go with Clara's book...

HB

And I want it noted that I did not chastise the OP because of the use of "Dominican" but can you imagine trying to cook while you are "in the Dominican"????
The visuals are really XXX....bad HB bad HB

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Of course, as a contributor (a very small one) to Aunt Clara's book, I can vouch for it.

That said, con-con is considered a delicacy and often fought over at the table...it goes great with soups, but like popcorn can be very bad for the teeth.

I once watched this show in which a group of people from different backgrounds competed to be crowned as the "best host". Each one had to host a meal at their home and invite the others, who would then rate the experience. They were rated on food, entertainment, presentation, etc.

On this episode, there was this Dominican woman who was criticized for serving concon. The others kind of felt like she served them leftovers or something. They were like "....and that crispy rice thing she served, I would never feed something like that to my children." lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I once watched this show in which a group of people from different backgrounds competed to be crowned as the "best host". Each one had to host a meal at their home and invite the others, who would then rate the experience. They were rated on food, entertainment, presentation, etc.

On this episode, there was this Dominican woman who was criticized for serving concon. The others kind of felt like she served them leftovers or something. They were like "....and that crispy rice thing she served, I would never feed something like that to my children." lol

Aguaita, the first time I ate dinner at my in-laws home, circa 1975-6, I was surprised to see the pile of little "burned" rice in the corner of the serving platter. I thought "Wow, these people must be poorer than they look if they serve THAT. Maybe they think there's not enough food??" :)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi all - I'm new here. We visited Uvero Alto last November and plan to go again this year. We stayed in a condo while there and plan to stay at the same condo this year. Last year, it was just couples, but we plan to take our kids this year (7 kids between 2 couples). So, we won't be eating out nearly as much and will need Dominican recipes to take with us.

The reason is because last year we noticed that American foods are very expensive at the market while the foods that aren't very familiar to us are much cheaper. So, we want to buy the most common Dominican foods for our meals so we aren't paying so much for our groceries. So, I'm in search of tried and true Dominican recipes for use during our stay. And, nothing too difficult to prepare, please. Thanks so much!

Don?t limit yourself to Dominican stuff! You can cook them pasta, you can buy tortillas and make tacos and quesadillas. That?s not expensive to make, and kids tend to love them. Plus, you can make your own healthier version!

With the same amount that you spend taking one kid out for fast food, you can actually make a delicious and healthy meal for a whole family.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

One thing you will notice is that rice is a key element. Dominicans cook their rice with oil and they generally get what is known as "con-con"--hard, partially burned rice, stuck to the bottom of the cooking utensil (or pot)....I do not. I cook rice the Chinese way: KISS-> Measure out the rice, wash it until the water runs clear. Put it in the pot with a teaspoon of salt. Add the same amount of water + just a little more. Put on fire until it bubbles, cover, lower fire until barely simmering, cook for 15-18 minutes, turn off fire, let stand for 20 minutes.(DO NOT UNCOVER). After the 20 minutes, then Uncover, stir, serve. No con con....all good.

Go with Clara's book...

HB

And I want it noted that I did not chastise the OP because of the use of "Dominican" but can you imagine trying to cook while you are "in the Dominican"????
The visuals are really XXX....bad HB bad HB
I could never fathom the con-con thing. Is it really considered a delicacy, or could it be that they simply haven't figured out how to cook rice the "normal" way?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
...That said, con-con is considered a delicacy....

Indeed, it used to be considered cool for the tyros to hail a woman from behind with, "Si cocinas como caminas, me voy comer tu con-con!"

HB's way to cook rice (the Asian way) makes better rice and doesn't waste a grain.
I'll add, however, it's even better if you first just cover the pot's bottom with olive oil, swish the rice around while heating until a grain or two start to brown. Then add water, boil and bubble.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I could never fathom the con-con thing. Is it really considered a delicacy, or could it be that they simply haven't figured out how to cook rice the "normal" way?

My theory: gas range cooking (or electric) is quite new here for the mass of people — just a few of generations. The old campo way was on a fire (le?a-started wood or charcoal) with little regulation ability. How do you put a fire on simmer, and how many campesinos had large fireplaces with swing-out kettles?

Watch a housewife cook, and count how many times she regulates the propane flame. Not often.

So the handed-down method of cooking rice was to dump it into a pot, pour some water over it, and dribble more water as needed until it was done on top. The burnt bottom, not to be wasted, was like excess pie crusts Mami fed to the kids. Thus con-con moved into legacy with childhood's aura of fond memories.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Concon is great!!! Back in europemy wife cooks some times for my parents. And of course she always makes enough food to last a week......
Anyway when she heats up rice the next day, my dad always groans"oh no the concon is not as good that way"!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
For a special treat, I Think I discovered this, I deep fried some large pieces of "ConCon"!
It puffs up, is very crispy,and is fantastic!
I just need to find a way to get some BACON into it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For a special treat, I Think I discovered this, I deep fried some large pieces of "ConCon"!
It puffs up, is very crispy,and is fantastic!
I just need to find a way to get some BACON into it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

you might be on to something with commercial value there, CC. you should not have given away the secret before floating a trial balloon.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
My theory: gas range cooking (or electric) is quite new here for the mass of people — just a few of generations. The old campo way was on a fire (le?a-started wood or charcoal) with little regulation ability. How do you put a fire on simmer, and how many campesinos had large fireplaces with swing-out kettles?

Watch a housewife cook, and count how many times she regulates the propane flame. Not often.

So the handed-down method of cooking rice was to dump it into a pot, pour some water over it, and dribble more water as needed until it was done on top. The burnt bottom, not to be wasted, was like excess pie crusts Mami fed to the kids. Thus con-con moved into legacy with childhood's aura of fond memories.

Good point

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i quite like concon, it tastes nothing like rice. i never eat rice.

i would not cook dominican food. it is not interesting or spectacular, really. just use fresh ingredients and cook whatever you like and enjoy. raw produce is generally inexpensive and plentiful.

and derfish, colmados sell more expensive than a regular store. large stores like la sirena or nacional offer daily discounts. colmados do not. their only advantage is that they offer fiao and sell really small quantities: one egg, a spoon full of butter, a cup of rice and so on.