Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Authentic recipes for use while we're in the Dominican?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Authentic recipes for use while we're in the Dominican?

Hi all - I'm new here. We visited Uvero Alto last November and plan to go again this year. We stayed in a condo while there and plan to stay at the same condo this year. Last year, it was just couples, but we plan to take our kids this year (7 kids between 2 couples). So, we won't be eating out nearly as much and will need Dominican recipes to take with us.

The reason is because last year we noticed that American foods are very expensive at the market while the foods that aren't very familiar to us are much cheaper. So, we want to buy the most common Dominican foods for our meals so we aren't paying so much for our groceries. So, I'm in search of tried and true Dominican recipes for use during our stay. And, nothing too difficult to prepare, please. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

Cooking Dominican food, recipes, and dishes – Aunt Clara’s Kitchen has everything you need - not just all the standard Dominican recipes but a lot of international recipes made using traditional Dominican ingredients (like auyama) and ingredients sold in the DR generally.

3. Likes Criss Colon, agw, robbie, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the Aunt Claras kitchen cookbook, however , you biggest problem will probably be getting your kids to try something different. I think you will be getting lot of yuuuuuks! HAHA! If you are not here for very long you will not break the bank buying familiar food for them, those of us who live here on a permanent basis gradually try to buy what is produced here when possible.
    Plan on lots of chicken, rice and veggies . Limit junk food. Please enjoy your stay!

5. Likes Harleysrock, agw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, as a contributor (a very small one) to Aunt Clara's book, I can vouch for it.

One thing you will notice is that rice is a key element. Dominicans cook their rice with oil and they generally get what is known as "con-con"--hard, partially burned rice, stuck to the bottom of the cooking utensil (or pot)....I do not. I cook rice the Chinese way: KISS-> Measure out the rice, wash it until the water runs clear. Put it in the pot with a teaspoon of salt. Add the same amount of water + just a little more. Put on fire until it bubbles, cover, lower fire until barely simmering, cook for 15-18 minutes, turn off fire, let stand for 20 minutes.(DO NOT UNCOVER). After the 20 minutes, then Uncover, stir, serve. No con con....all good.

That said, con-con is considered a delicacy and often fought over at the table...it goes great with soups, but like popcorn can be very bad for the teeth.

Go with Clara's book...

HB

And I want it noted that I did not chastise the OP because of the use of "Dominican" but can you imagine trying to cook while you are "in the Dominican"????
    The visuals are really XXX....bad HB bad HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 01-28-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Moderator DR1.com

7. Likes donP, agw, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Of course, as a contributor (a very small one) to Aunt Clara's book, I can vouch for it.

That said, con-con is considered a delicacy and often fought over at the table...it goes great with soups, but like popcorn can be very bad for the teeth.
    I once watched this show in which a group of people from different backgrounds competed to be crowned as the "best host". Each one had to host a meal at their home and invite the others, who would then rate the experience. They were rated on food, entertainment, presentation, etc.

On this episode, there was this Dominican woman who was criticized for serving concon. The others kind of felt like she served them leftovers or something. They were like "....and that crispy rice thing she served, I would never feed something like that to my children." lol

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    I once watched this show in which a group of people from different backgrounds competed to be crowned as the "best host". Each one had to host a meal at their home and invite the others, who would then rate the experience. They were rated on food, entertainment, presentation, etc.

On this episode, there was this Dominican woman who was criticized for serving concon. The others kind of felt like she served them leftovers or something. They were like "....and that crispy rice thing she served, I would never feed something like that to my children." lol
    Aguaita, the first time I ate dinner at my in-laws home, circa 1975-6, I was surprised to see the pile of little "burned" rice in the corner of the serving platter. I thought "Wow, these people must be poorer than they look if they serve THAT. Maybe they think there's not enough food??"

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

11. Likes waytogo, Aguaita29 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ramrod Straight

... the use of "Dominican" but can you imagine trying to cook while you are "in the Dominican"????
    The visuals are really XXX....
    Thank you.

donP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5lilms View Post
    Hi all - I'm new here. We visited Uvero Alto last November and plan to go again this year. We stayed in a condo while there and plan to stay at the same condo this year. Last year, it was just couples, but we plan to take our kids this year (7 kids between 2 couples). So, we won't be eating out nearly as much and will need Dominican recipes to take with us.

The reason is because last year we noticed that American foods are very expensive at the market while the foods that aren't very familiar to us are much cheaper. So, we want to buy the most common Dominican foods for our meals so we aren't paying so much for our groceries. So, I'm in search of tried and true Dominican recipes for use during our stay. And, nothing too difficult to prepare, please. Thanks so much!
    Don´t limit yourself to Dominican stuff! You can cook them pasta, you can buy tortillas and make tacos and quesadillas. That´s not expensive to make, and kids tend to love them. Plus, you can make your own healthier version!

With the same amount that you spend taking one kid out for fast food, you can actually make a delicious and healthy meal for a whole family.

14. Likes Chirimoya, Harleysrock, agw liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you will notice is that rice is a key element. Dominicans cook their rice with oil and they generally get what is known as "con-con"--hard, partially burned rice, stuck to the bottom of the cooking utensil (or pot)....I do not. I cook rice the Chinese way: KISS-> Measure out the rice, wash it until the water runs clear. Put it in the pot with a teaspoon of salt. Add the same amount of water + just a little more. Put on fire until it bubbles, cover, lower fire until barely simmering, cook for 15-18 minutes, turn off fire, let stand for 20 minutes.(DO NOT UNCOVER). After the 20 minutes, then Uncover, stir, serve. No con con....all good.

Go with Clara's book...

HB

And I want it noted that I did not chastise the OP because of the use of "Dominican" but can you imagine trying to cook while you are "in the Dominican"????
    The visuals are really XXX....bad HB bad HB
    I could never fathom the con-con thing. Is it really considered a delicacy, or could it be that they simply haven't figured out how to cook rice the "normal" way?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not a delicacy, but certainly a treat
    The secrets of the perfect concón

17. Likes waytogo liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast