How do I get a tourist visa for my boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
Good morning!

My boyfriend (who is NOT a sanky, please please keep all comments related to that to yourself) is coming to visit me in the U.S. on a tourist visa.. IF we can navigate all this paperwork!

He just got his passport and I am navigating websites. He mentioned that I should write him a letter of invitation, but I haven't found where or what should be included in that yet.

Does anyone have any advice to share on temporary tourist visas? Are they very difficult to get? He has his own business there and I have a job here. Did it take very long for you? What should I know that I don't right now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good morning!

My boyfriend (who is NOT a sanky, please please keep all comments related to that to yourself) is coming to visit me in the U.S. on a tourist visa.. IF we can navigate all this paperwork!

He just got his passport and I am navigating websites. He mentioned that I should write him a letter of invitation, but I haven't found where or what should be included in that yet.

Does anyone have any advice to share on temporary tourist visas? Are they very difficult to get? He has his own business there and I have a job here. Did it take very long for you? What should I know that I don't right now?

what kind of business does he have?

and you do not have to worry about me suggesting that he might be a sanky. i do not even know what that could possibly be.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good morning!

Does he have assets, a bank account, a car, a house, any reason why he will want/need to come back?
A tourist visa is not the easiest of visas, in case you have not heard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To the OP. You cannot get him a visa. It is all on him. There is nothing you can do for him except for perhaps paying for his visa application. A letter from you would be a negative, not a positive.

He will be on his own at the visitor's visa interview (along with about 1,000 of his countrymen there at the same time trying to win "the visa lottery".

He will need to have a business, a home, a car, reasonable assets in a long term bank account and family members in the DR sufficient enough for the USCIS officer to be convinced with absolute certainty he will return to the DR at the end of his visa time period. Otherwise he will not get a visa.

Does he have all of the above? If not, the odds are like winning the lottery. Sanky or not.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As others have been explaining, it is very difficult to get a tourist visa. At one time this was not the case, but after a lot of Dominicans did not bother to leave the US after the visa expired, the requirements got a lot tougher.

There is nothing you can do to change this. The decision will largely depend on how certain it is that he will return at the end of the visa.

The more factors here that make it likely he will return, the better his chances. But even then there is no guarantee.

Every day at the US Consulate there is a huge number of Dominicans with the same hope, to get a visa to the US.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The fact is, that any Dominican that "CAN" get a visa for the USA, already "HAS" a visa for the USA!
If he can't get a visa on his own, you can't help.
As has been said, you may actually hurt his chances.
Once they see an "Americana" wants him to come,
they will just roll their eyes, and turn him down.
It doesn't matter if WE think he is a Sanky, THEY, ...WILL!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Years ago I went with my father-in-law to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo to apply for a US tourist visa so he could visit us. I was sure I could help. :cheeky:

Fellow at the window was very nice, I explained the situation, offered to sign anything needed, blah blah blah. He lowered his voice and told me that they don't like when there are close relatives or friends in the US, told him to just put down his assets, and the fact that he had a wife and 5 kids in Santo Domingo, and not to mention us.

He got the visa.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Fish" even if married, the US spouse must prove they have the resources to provide for their partner in the USA.
Not always easy to do.
They want to see your back tax returns, and a LOT MORE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A lot of people have a hard time understanding that even though the person is visiting YOUR country, you CAN'T get him a visa. The person is on his own. He/She (the foreigner) is the one requesting the visa and the US citizen is NOT a factor (at least for tourist visas).

It is possible but hard and the visa applicant has to show ties to its original country (here DR) and demonstrates that he/she will return (so an eager girlfriend does not help).

Voila ! I am not dominican but in the US on a Visa (work) and was also on a student one previously, so I have seen my share of US embassies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Make sure he can provide evidence/proof that he will return. By this I mean he has money in a bank account, good job, property, etc... To be honest sometimes it can be the luck of the draw. I have seen people who I would never think could get a visa get one and seen people who I was sure would get one not be able to.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I believe for decades the visitor visa was mistaken for a permanent work visa by many Dominicans. Therefore as most visitor visas end up as permanent, they pretty much look at them as same.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
It pretty much isn't going to happen. On the other hand, I never had to show a tax return once I got married, but when I tried for a tourist visa first,even with her having a job and assets, the Consular officer bluntly stated, get married, that's the only way one will be granted. Once I did, it was about 9 months from there to the spouse visa.

A few of my wife's relatives have a tourist visa, but they had to show considerable assets, letters from the job, bank statements, family ties. Right now, there's a negative wind concerning illegals in the U.S., and unfortunately, there's 1.5 illegal Dominicans in the US, and they give the others a bad name.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I know more about it than most folks do. I did it 3 timeses.
Der Fish

Hell, I've been married and divorced 3 times but that doesn't make me an expert on either.

Actually, anyone desperate enough to ask me for advice should probably just give up and take the short sword to their belly.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good morning!

Dumb question, but why would he need a visa if he has a valid passport for travel. How long is this "visit"?

LTSTeve

Status
Not open for further replies.