Punta Cana to Miches

Bachatera22

Feb 2, 2014
Dear all,

at the end of February I am going to fly to Punta Cana and need to go from there to Miches. Can you please help me in finding the best, and most economic way to travel from Punta Cana airport to Miches. Can you also please advise me of the duration to go fom A to B and the cost.
I'd like to travel by guagua but i am a little bit concerned if there is enugh time left to go from Punta Cana to Miches, since i arrive in the afternoon and as far as I know guaguas stop driving at dawn, right? Did anyone do this route before and can recommend anything?

Thank you very much in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You are in luck. They just completed the divided hwy from PC to Miches. But as far as Public Transport, that I don't know. But the road is great and won't take long at all.

You can rent a car if you like.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
You are in luck. They just completed the divided hwy from PC to Miches. But as far as Public Transport, that I don't know. But the road is great and won't take long at all.

You can rent a car if you like.

The divided road only goes as far as Macao, and after that is newly paved, one lane each way, not divided, as far as Uvero Alto. Drove it today.

The road to Miches is still the old one straight up from Otra Banda. It's better than it was last year, but is still not paved the whole way and in places is pretty sketchy. My boyfriend went up that way last week. Not sure what the road is like this year if you go thru the mountains. Haven't tried it yet.

Bachatera22

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks agw.
Does anyone Know something About public transport for this Route and How long it takes?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks agw.
Does anyone Know something About public transport for this Route and How long it takes?

Any updates on this? I am looking for transportation from Punta Cana to Miches/Sabana. Are there any buses or guaguas that run on Saturdays?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Any updates on this? I am looking for transportation from Punta Cana to Miches/Sabana. Are there any buses or guaguas that run on Saturdays?

I drove Sabana al Mar to Miches and back just after Easter and it is one big construction site with Odebrecht in full swing upgrading that road and they were working on numerous culverts and small bridges with a temporary road surface and diversions....slow going but my guess that this section should be complete by year end. Got a puncture for all this.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I drove Sabana al Mar to Miches and back just after Easter and it is one big construction site with Odebrecht in full swing upgrading that road and they were working on numerous culverts and small bridges with a temporary road surface and diversions....slow going but my guess that this section should be complete by year end. Got a puncture for all this.

Thanks for the update. Scenic ride? Anyone have info on buses or guaguas?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks for the update. Scenic ride? Anyone have info on buses or guaguas?

Great untouched long beach on east edge of Miches with a couple of decent places to get lunch and a cold beer, and the drive will be nice to Sabana al Mar once the road is upgraded with the mountains to the side.

Not done it, but perhaps you should consider Bavaro to Higuey and then El Seibo and over the mountains to Miches. My guide book says that is very scenic indeed and there is some points of interest in El Seibo too. Bet that road is rough!

Sabana is very sleepy and you have the 4 times daily ferry service over to Samana from there. Plus from the town you can get to the edge of Parque Haitises and catch a private boat tour through mangroves and into Bahia San Lorenzo and the caves etc

Can't help you with guaguas but there were a few plying the route when we passed by jipeta and the terminus in Sabana is at the junction with the Miches road. If you are heading back inland from Sabana to Hato Mayor de Rey you will find the trip over the mountains pleasant and scenic too. These are small sleepy towns so it will be easy to pick up transport without hassle imo

Lovely part of the country which is off the beaten track it appears.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
The divided road only goes as far as Macao, and after that is newly paved, one lane each way, not divided, as far as Uvero Alto. Drove it today.

The road to Miches is still the old one straight up from Otra Banda. It's better than it was last year, but is still not paved the whole way and in places is pretty sketchy. My boyfriend went up that way last week. Not sure what the road is like this year if you go thru the mountains. Haven't tried it yet.

I just drove to miches yesterday. The new road goes all the way into the town. Took about an hour from bavaro. It's a nice ride!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not done it, but perhaps you should consider Bavaro to Higuey and then El Seibo and over the mountains to Miches. My guide book says that is very scenic indeed and there is some points of interest in El Seibo too. Bet that road is rough!

Do not even think about doing this. I would not even call it a road.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
El Seibo to Miches is a nice ride, very scenic good road. Going back to Uvero Alto the tricky part is to get through Miches and across the bridge, from there it's straight forward black top all the way. Sabana del Mar to Hato Mayor is full of potholes as always.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Totally agree with Sky ,the road from el Seibo to Miches is a very dangerous and uneven road ..do not try it ..however I did see two gua guas using the road . The road from San Pedro de Macoris to Hato Mayor and from Hato mayor to el Seibo and then from el seibo to Higuey is all paved with usual few repair sections ..an intersting trip. However the road from Hato Mayor to Sabana is still at times unpassable and there are many protests going on about the condition of the road. Avoid it
so really there is no round trip from Bavaro to Miches and then maybe to Sabana . It is Bavaro to Miches and back again the same way

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
the road from el Seibo to Miches is a very dangerous and uneven road ..do not try it..
And when was this?? I totally disagree with SKY and Kipling. El Seibo to Miches is new black top all the way. I've already done the trip a few times since the road was rebuilt and paved.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Awe Inspiring Views

The road from El Seibo to Miches is totally paved and affords one some of the best views of the countryside and at the hilltop approaches to Miches provide awe inspiring views of the coast and Atlantic.

Note: when Odebrecht constructed the new corridor from Punta to Miches the improvement of the road from El Seibo to Miches was part of the program.

Regards,

PJT

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Totally agree with Sky ,the road from el Seibo to Miches is a very dangerous and uneven road ..do not try it ..however I did see two gua guas using the road . The road from San Pedro de Macoris to Hato Mayor and from Hato mayor to el Seibo and then from el seibo to Higuey is all paved with usual few repair sections ..an intersting trip. However the road from Hato Mayor to Sabana is still at times unpassable and there are many protests going on about the condition of the road. Avoid it
so really there is no round trip from Bavaro to Miches and then maybe to Sabana . It is Bavaro to Miches and back again the same way

Hato Mayor to Sabana was not that bad at all when I drove it back and forth after Easter. It had a few short sections unpaved but well graded. No problem at all for a saloon car. And a scenic enjoyable drive too.