Worms in our pool - solution?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
After heavy rains, like we had on the north coast yesterday, worms gravitate to our pool. Ant powder in the grass around the edge of the patio area works with light rain but heavy rain washes it away.

Anyone have experience or an idea about how to reduce this?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Just a thought but are you sure you don't have a broken pipe underground that they are coming through? I have experienced that problem myself. Are you losing any water when it's not raining?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
This makes no sense. Why would one only lose water when it isn't raining? If you jave a broken or cracked return pipe, you will lose water as long as the pump is operating correctly and even continue to lose water, at a much slower rate, when the pump is turned off, by way of the weight of the water pushing the pools volume out of the broken or cracked pipe.
Worms go in pools, vacuum them out, it is very easy to do.

It's only that you don't notice the loss so much during rainy periods, not that you don't lose it. I lose a bit from my pool but this morning it was almost overflowing!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
leaky pipes are easier to spot than the sun and the wind..... huge evaporation if your pool is exposed to both.... like an infinity pool with wind whipping over it..... POOF! water goes down

May 29, 2006
I know copper tape will stop slugs, but not sure if it will work on worms. Maybe diatomatious earth? It won't wash away. It's like broken glass for them to cross. Garden supply store.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmm. I assumed the water evaporated from the pool, especially when it is very hot. At least I am sure cloro does evaporate a lot....

Back home in europe u have thesekind of extensible on rails cover system for the pools, and when closed there is a lot, and I mean a lot of condensation on it. Does that not meam without thecover it would be evaporatng???

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. There are no broken pipes but the worms just come out in a heavy rain. We will look into a barrier (copper tape or the earth). Ant powder works well but unfortunately when we need it - it is washed away. Yes vacuuming after this is what we do but gross and a pain.