Private guide to Haiti

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
We are planning to visit Haiti on our own car for 2-3 days in the mid of February. We need a private English speaking guide who will assist on crossing the border and show the most interesting places. 2 adults we speak English and Spanish.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You are aware of the current tension between the two countries I hope? Personally, not a place I would visit at this moment.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
At least last september I had no problems in and around Cap Haitien. Used guaguas, motoconchos, walked alone day and night.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Keep safety in mind.

Keep your safety in mind. Early last summer PJT, wife and friends traveled to the border at Jimani and overnighted at a local hotel. We met an Italian humanitarian worker who was constructing a school in Haiti. He was staying at our hotel. He explained he traveled deep to Haiti every day but returned to Jimani each night as he had concerns for his safety if he spent his nights in the country.

Traveling to Haiti cannot be taken lightly. If you do still intend to go please check the background and credentials of the guide you use, get references.

Good luck,

PJT

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My question to the person who is talking about SAFETY, WHICH countries does the think is SAFER, HAITI OR DR? SMH

Is this a trick question? Neither, but why go looking for trouble, especially if you are a gringo and don't speak the language.

LTSTeve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Haiti?s 2011 murder rate was 6.9 per 100,000 residents, compared to neighbouring Dominican Republic?s 24.9 and Jamaica?s 40.9.

the biggest threat was.. is .. kidnapping ,, which was mostly Haitian Americans ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is not really comforting. Why do people think this is a "cool" thing to do. These are the people you read about in the news.

LTSteve

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
How about minding your own business ?
You know very little (or next to nothing) about Haiti, let the people who want to visit, visit !!!!! We have a couple posters who have been there and back alive.
The OP is not going blindly if she is inquiring about a guide. :paranoid:

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
Haiti is a great place to visit - a little pricey, maybe, but the food, music, people, culture - the whole thing is a must see and do.

Have a nice time there.

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
I wanted to thank everybody for the comments, suggestions and links. I appreciate all the answers. We are planning this trip and I will share the photos and experience (if we go and get back))).

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Keep your safety in mind. Early last summer PJT, wife and friends traveled to the border at Jimani and overnighted at a local hotel. We met an Italian humanitarian worker who was constructing a school in Haiti. He was staying at our hotel. He explained he traveled deep to Haiti every day but returned to Jimani each night as he had concerns for his safety if he spent his nights in the country.

Traveling to Haiti cannot be taken lightly. If you do still intend to go please check the background and credentials of the guide you use, get references.

Good luck,

PJT

Sit where you are and take one example to back your safety case!
My friend, dr is more dangerous than Haiti! Get a grip and do your research!

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Haiti?s 2011 murder rate was 6.9 per 100,000 residents, compared to neighbouring Dominican Republic?s 24.9 and Jamaica?s 40.9.

the biggest threat was.. is .. kidnapping ,, which was mostly Haitian Americans ...

Thank you! Especially if you a white man! Going to Haiti, you do not have to worry too much! You will still need some guidance, but unlike DR where people have to stay in Resorts! Remember, haiti does not have A TOURIST POLICE like the DR. Despite that, Haiti's murder rate is one of the lowest in the Caribbeans!.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
@Lesia: the "Dominican Republic & Haiti" from Lonely Planet has 100 pages good information from Haiti.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Sit where you are and take one example to back your safety case!
My friend, dr is more dangerous than Haiti! Get a grip and do your research!

Of course the DR is more dangerous than Haiti right now. There are about 3,000 Haitian
criminals that escaped during the earthquake and are hiding in the DR committing more
crimes. Add that to the total number.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ah, drums rolling............ we have a new "no es mi culpa !!!
I should have known why there is any crime at all in the dr. Malditos haitianos!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If that is how you want to look at then that's your problem. It is not solely Dominicans but also those who reside(have made DR their home).

Oh, I forgot Haitians are innocent of everything in the DR.

So I guess ALL Americans are the only ones to be blamed for ALL the crimes in the US
and not immigrants.

Last edited: