Newbie de Carolina del Norte

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Yo no soy dominicano(soy negro) pero estoy intentando aprender el espa?ol de republica dominicana. Es muy deficil de entender pa m? porque uds. hablan MUY rapido y
se crean muchas palabras(como nosotros negros en ingles). So....Por eso estoy aqu?
Alguien ayudame porfa

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which is why Mr. Styles nobody has answered you or wished you a welcome.

This is an English language site and many many people here don't give a rat's buttocks about Spanish beyound "How Much"?

So cool it on the Spanish which is pretty good IMO (You might want to change your language to US International so you can put in the accents ? ? ? and so forth and the all-important ?, without going through the 0164 or whatever. )

Learn good Spanish, do not try and imitate the poor quality of the ignorant pronunciation....that means no "pa qu?" ..but rather "para qu?" and so forth.

You will get more respect that way. And you are to be congratulated for your efforts.

Welcome aboard,

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm not a Dominican either, "Soy Rubio"!
As if a person's skin tone makes a difference?????
"K Vaina"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome aboard, gotta give you credit for writing in Spanish, I couldn't do it! I can understand somewhat and speak enough to get by but write it out, no way! Beside the local Dominican Spanish is very different but kudos for trying. Hope you enjoy a happy and healthy life here...life is what you make it!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yo no soy dominicano(soy negro) pero estoy intentando aprender el espa?ol de republica dominicana. Es muy deficil de entender pa m? porque uds. hablan MUY rapido y
se crean muchas palabras(como nosotros negros en ingles). So....Por eso estoy aqu?
Alguien ayudame porfa

Hello and Welcome! Congrats on trying to learn Spanish. This site is English Speaking though. There are far more foreign members than Dominican members here.

Don't worry about made up words! Worry about learning standard, correct Spanish. This will be more useful to you as you'll be able to communicate with people from different Spanish speaking countries.

By the way, what's going on in North Carolina? Lately I've been hearing a bunch of Dominicans about having been there on vacation and having relatives there. Is it like the new New York for Dominicans?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Criss, who said it mattered? I was simply indicating that I wasn't Dominican, which is why my Spanish is poor.

Bienvenidos a dr1.
Nobody cares what color you are, you announced your color!
I am purple, are you happy?
It's North Carolina in Spanish BTW!
Tough crowd today.

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Aguaita, I was just telling one of my friends who is thinking of moving to the U.S. that for some reason Dominicans have warmed up to North Carolina. I say "for some reason" because it is soooo boring here IMO. And almost all of them have moved here from NYC, so that's a drastic change!! But It'll never be as many Dominicans here as in NYC. There are millions in NYC.

I'm learning formal and informal Spanish. I feel as though in order to be REALLY fluent in a language you have to be able to communicate with not only those who speak perfectly, but also the large population of other natives who don't. I teach my friends both formal and informal English. They want to move here and work, but what if they interview for a job and discover the interviewer speaks informal English? I'd rather them be prepared than not have a clue of what their interviewer is saying.
I know formal Spanish, and I know what informal words like "toy", "tas", etc means thanks to my friends. Otherwise I'd have no clue of how to respond.
Even highly intelligent characters here speak informally. I just feel as though one should learn the different both formal and informal ways so it will expand your ability to communicate with almost all native speakers.....Thanks for the welcome.

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Thanks for the welcome Jmnorr. Yes it's very different, with lots of slang. I'm the opposite. I can write it pretty well, but when I hear my friends speak it to each other I'm clueless, and I hate that.
You're right, life is what you make it and I hope to improve mine by reaching a new goal.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hola:

I went to NC a few years ago. I forget the name but I visited a beach in which I paid $20.00 and camped out in my 4x4 for the whole weekend.

Talk about not needing a hotel. Perfect for a date. Bring your tent and save the hotel money!!!!!

It was awesome!!!!!!!!

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Bienvenidos a dr1.
Nobody cares what color you are, you announced your color!
I am purple, are you happy?
It's North Carolina in Spanish BTW!
Tough crowd today.

You didn't pay attention to my reply. I wasn't saying anyone cared about my color(BTW, I wasn't referring to my color, I was referring to my race and nationality. I wasn't trying to announce...I was "explaining". I only typed NC that way because that's how all of my friends from Latin America writes it.

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Lololol!! BX the beach is cool, but if you ever visit a rural area here(there are MANY) your 4X4 might not be the best option...still an option though. But remember, there may not be anyone around to hear you scream lol.

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
I usually have my International keyboard enabled but I'm not sure why I didn't at the time. It was past 4am and I think I was half asleep, but who knows. Funny story...When I first started learning, I didn't realize that leaving the ? off a work could completely change the meaning, sometimes for the worst. I asked a several girls "Cuantos anos tienes?" and each time one would reply "Jaja!!!! S?lo uno" It took a few times for me to catch on.

Anyway, I didn't know Spanish was frowned upon here, with the name being DR1. I thought the site was based in the Dominican Republic. And with one of the forum rules being stick to the topic of the Dominican Republic and the life there, an inexperienced user could only assume that this was a Spanish/English site.

I learn both formal and informal Spanish, since, no matter what their native language, many people of all nationalities do not speak in a formal manner.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Not too much of a warm welcome, but ok.

Don't sweat the tone nor contents of the replies until you get a "feel" for this forum. Think of it as panning for gold; you have to sift through a lot of tonnage to get a nugget, or enough flakes to make it worthwhile. You will however, get exposed to many "flakes" here even without panning. Welcome to DR1.

T.Styles917

Feb 4, 2014
www.Twitter.com
Lol Thanks. That's a great way to look at it(and life in general). I'll keep that in mind. It's just that I was caught off guard. The responses weren't at all what I expected.