any airlines accept dogs over 100 pounds??

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
i have a german shepherd that i want to bring with me from toronto ...problem is, combined weight is over 100 pounds....how the heck do people travel with large dogs??

Last edited by a moderator:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Size limitations

What you need to do is contact the airlines servicing the DR from Toronto. Contact the airlines and ask them if there are weight restictions. It is common for the airlines to have size limitations for the containers of the animals. It would be an indicator. If your pet fits in maximum size it may be able to travel.

Note: there are other requirements for pet travel and you should ask the airlines.

Regards,

PJT

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
i have looked at all their web sites and won't take dogs over 100 pounds with crate included....i was just asking if anyone has had experience with larger dogs............................

What you need to do is contact the airlines servicing the DR from Toronto. Contact the airlines and ask them if there are weight restictions. It is common for the airlines to have size limitations for the containers of the animals. It would be an indicator. If your pet fits in maximum size it may be able to travel.

Note: there are other requirements for pet travel and you should ask the airlines.

Regards,

PJT

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You may have to contact an animal transport company or fly an airline that accepts large pets in a climate controlled luggage area. There may also be a temperature exception depending upon what time of year you are flying. The other thing you may encounter is the airlines will not fly certain breads.

LTSteve

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
When I was still flying we would accept live animals and I never heard of a weight restriction but in these money-grabbing days, who knows?
Large aircraft have a live animal compartment with a separately controlled environment so the animal should not suffer distress during the flight but there should be someone to meet the animal on arrival as the loaders are less than useless and the animal may be left in it's box in the sun or in the cold if no-one pushes them.
If you are travelling with the dog they may allow you to be there during the load/offload.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never been weighed -- YYZ to AZS on WestJet

Mine was close to the limit - a pretty big Boxer + cage

Temperature limits are Nov1 to May1 or April 1 for accepting animals underneath.... no fly in the summer months

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I can't comment on flights to/from Canada. But this info might be helpful.

I brought my two dogs down on Delta. One, with her kennel, was over 100 lbs.

To make it easier on the dogs, I drove (four hours) to Atlanta so that they would only have to make one flight.

Delta flies direct to JFK, so you might investigate them.

American Airlines was willing to take them as cargo. The cost was $2,000 per animal, and that was if I drove them to Miami (20 hours).

good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
good story... cargo is a killer - $$$$wise...... avoid it all costs

unless the dog looks like a shetland pony, you s/b OK..... especially if you travel off-peak

PS
I have driven PHL to MIA to shorten the flight for the dog..... nuts, maybe

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Put the dog on a diet and get a lightweight cage. My friend goes with his shepherd every year from JFK to POP $200-$250 each way. There are temperature limits and he flew last month with 105 lbs combined dog and crate weight.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
He also dropped a few pounds by giving him a bad ass haircut. They are hairy dogs.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
thanks for the suggestions ~ all very good! BUT I am not taking her with me for a month at a time if its going to cost me that much...I go back and fourth a month at a time each way...more or less...hmmmm guess her ass is staying put in the cold!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

It actually might be better on the dog. It took mine nearly a week before they really got over the flight, and it was a very smooth flight that left and landed right on time. Planes are noisy enough for humans, so imagine what it is like for an animal whose hearing is so much more sensitive.

If I were only coming for a month at a time, I would probably leave my dogs at home.

As show dogs fly regularly, I would be interested in hearing what Acira has to say.

(What happened to Acira, anyway? Did she run off with Chip? I never see either of them commenting in the forum anymore?)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ours come either for 5-6 months or forever..... REALLY $$$ to bring them on trips

Not sure there's that much trauma..... for a crate trained dog

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Yes, she would probably have a melt down....she's never been crated...except when I picked her up at the airport in toronto....think I will just leave her at home :( although she comes everywhere with me...she watches my back!

Ours come either for 5-6 months or forever..... REALLY $$$ to bring them on trips

Not sure there's that much trauma..... for a crate trained dog