To stay two-three weeks away from tourist areas

valeri

Feb 3, 2014
Dear all! I want some change! I am truly sick and tired of the "touristic areas" - Sosua, Cabarete , Juan Dolio and Boca Chica. Especially from most "Dominicans" that I meet here. Most ex pats are OK. I want to spend some time in an area where I can meet some normal, decent, truly open and unspoiled Dominican population. For two-three weeks I guess.

I would sincerely appreciate suggestions on the destination for my hiatus . It must have at least a reasonably comfortable accommodation with at least a basic infrastructure and a reasonable level of safety and security. And be accessible for SUV.

I used to love this country. Now with each day in "places" like Sosua and Boca Chica sometimes I HATE it. I do not like this change in my heart. I want to fall in love with this island and its people again. Where to go , brethren?!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would suggest Barahona, stay at Hotel Playa Azul just outside the city on the ocean, quiet safe and lots to explore. Some of the nicest beaches are located on that part of the Island.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I agree with bob, the bordom that you think you will enjoy will only make you be scratching your toes by da y three. You can find typical, but you'd be looking at drawing alot of attention and anywhere away from tourists doesnt usually have, safe, untouristy hotels. When i get sick of everyone i go to bavaro, maybe corticito, yes a touristy place, but not so many morons i might see elsewhere, big security presence and safe secure aparthotels. That or hotel plaza in Juan dolio, not touristy as you know it from boca, sosua, but a little oasis you dont need to le ave, big rooms, restaurantes, glens poolbar, all very relaxing unless a national holiday. A new venue i started visiting is bayahibe, really nice people, peaceful, cute, probably my favourite getaway at the moment.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dear all! I want some change! I am truly sick and tired of the "touristic areas" - Sosua, Cabarete , Juan Dolio and Boca Chica. Especially from most "Dominicans" that I meet here. Most ex pats are OK. I want to spend some time in an area where I can meet some normal, decent, truly open and unspoiled Dominican population. For two-three weeks I guess.

I would sincerely appreciate suggestions on the destination for my hiatus . It must have at least a reasonably comfortable accommodation with at least a basic infrastructure and a reasonable level of safety and security. And be accessible for SUV.

I used to love this country. Now with each day in "places" like Sosua and Boca Chica sometimes I HATE it. I do not like this change in my heart. I want to fall in love with this island and its people again. Where to go , brethren?!

I'm here for 5 years now so that's certainly not much but I have found it extraordinarily difficult to infiltrate Dominican life even though part of my extended family is Dominican.
There is not very much adventure in this country so you would have to decide what sort of stimulus you are looking for. In many Dominican situations you will be looked on as, not a curiosity like in Africa or unspoilt parts of the world, but as a source of financial reward.
I feel what you are saying but unfortunately have no cure.i reckon that even if you spoke perfect Dominican of let's say, Alta Gracia,Moca,San Fransico,Miches or Monti Cristi, for example, you will still be the ATM.

It's tricky....

Jarabacoa might work....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You could go HATILLO, near Jarabacoa and stay at Mi Vista Mountain Resort Mi Vista Mountain Resort - Inn Reviews, Deals - Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor
and use that as a base to explore the mountains. The road is good.The population is small, the views are beautiful, and although there are tourists there aren't many. You can trek off on different day trips= coffee plantation, river rafting, caving, mountain climbing, mountain biking, 4 x 4ing, or sit around drinking rum. There is a good spa in Jarabacoa for massage, several decent restaurants, and generally friendly people without too many beggars.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you have no reason other than escape, jarabacoa will also destroy your mind, nice to work and live, horrible to hang out alone with no reason.