Biz owners said they are looking to protect consumers!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
National strike called for shops

The Traders Federation (FDC) has confirmed that today, Wednesday 4 February and tomorrow Thursday 5 February all of their members will be on strike in protest against the proposed installation of tax printers and the increase in the ITBIS sales tax.

However, they said they would cancel the strike if President Danilo Medina intervenes to say that the government is prepared to talk.

Federation president Ivan Garcia estimated that around 100,000 wholesalers, hardware stores, pharmacies, gas stations and other establishments would be closed nationwide.

He said that the tax printers were too expensive for the shopkeepers, they did do not know how they worked and that they were looking to protect consumers.

Hoy newspaper reports that while FDC has called shop owners to strike, the president of the National Association of Retailers (Fenepro) Agustin Penalo said the strike would failed and motivated that talks continue with the government.

First reports on Wednesday say that businesses closed in Bonao, not so in Barahona and Santiago.

Comerciantes confirman huelga si no obtienen di?logo con el Presidente - listindiario.com

Comercio est? dividido sobre anuncio de paro

Bwahahahaha!!!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
He said that the tax printers were too expensive for the shopkeepers, they did do not know how they worked and that they were looking to protect consumers.

They are correct. If this is pushed through, the costs will be passed on to the consumer.

The colmado around the corner from me uses a wooden box under the counter for their money. They punch numbers into a pocket calculator to come up with the total. They need to get a printer. Bwahahahaha!! Again, what happens when the power goes out?

Here I am arguing again about policies from a government that does not seem to understand the realities of its own infrastructure and its own people.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Even in our little remote corner of the DR, the only "store" here [the ferreteria] was closed yesterday. Haven't been out today to see if it's still closed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Strike Lifted" by business owners!
They seem proud to say they cost the DR's Government 1.5 BILLION pesos!
Just where do they think the DR Government gets it's money?
"Duminican Logic"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
They are correct. If this is pushed through, the costs will be passed on to the consumer.

The colmado around the corner from me uses a wooden box under the counter for their money. They punch numbers into a pocket calculator to come up with the total. They need to get a printer. Bwahahahaha!! Again, what happens when the power goes out?

Here I am arguing again about policies from a government that does not seem to understand the realities of its own infrastructure and its own people.

The system comes with a power backup and surge protector...

We do understand well our infrastructure and more so our people. In other places the power goes out and life comes to a standstill, in the DR power goes out and life continues without a flicker.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

We do understand well our infrastructure and more so our people. In other places the power goes out and life comes to a standstill, in the DR power goes out and life continues without a flicker.

A while ago you were saying that soon all developed countries would also switch to non-100% coverage in their power supply. And now you are saying that in DR, where at any given minute there are numerous blackout throughout the country, and thus the citizens (not the government) had to take measures to be prepared and have backup generators, inversors, etc., is in a better situation than a country where no citizen or business has a backup generator since a blackout occurs once every 10 years and lasts for less than an hour?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess the "Billions" spent/wasted, on fuel costs by private companies, and individuals, doesn't fit in "PEE's" equation!!!!!!!!!!
"Colmados" lose product, Salons" lose customers, "Tallers" sit and do nothing,Schools can't teach,and on & on!!!
"Without a Flicker"????????
Like when the "Luz" goes out during open heart surgery?????????????????????????
"BwaaaaaaaBwaaaaaaaaaaaaBwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"??????????????????
I guess it's hard to stop the "SPIN" once it starts!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I guess the "Billions" spent/wasted, on fuel costs by private companies, and individuals, doesn't fit in "PEE's" equation!!!!!!!!!!
"Colmados" lose product, Salons" lose customers, "Tallers" sit and do nothing,Schools can't teach,and on & on!!!
"Without a Flicker"????????
Like when the "Luz" goes out during open heart surgery?????????????????????????
"BwaaaaaaaBwaaaaaaaaaaaaBwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"??????????????????
I guess it's hard to stop the "SPIN" once it starts!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yeah sure! That's why they went out of biz in the DR long ago...

Criss stick to Fantasy and gibberish, economics and reality are not your forte!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yeah sure! That's why they went out of biz in the DR long ago...

Criss stick to Fantasy and gibberish, economics and reality are not your forte!

No, that's one of the reasons why, besides paying VAT at the level of a developed country where you GET something from the government for the taxes you are paying, you pay extremely high prices for normal everyday shopping. Double or sometimes triple the prices you would be paying in a developed country. Why? Because beside the fact that the government doesn't solve anything with the tax they are receiving and the fact that most business owners want to get rich in one year, they also have to pay for fuel for the back up generator, besides an outrage electricity bill, and save for severance pay for their employees in a highly inefficient labor market, fix the holes on the street in front of the business, else your customers break their cars coming to your place. Probably you'll have to maintain the garden on the isle in front of your store, in exchange for a sign that you paid for that as well as the electricity of the traffic light on the corner.

All that, besides paying taxes over your income.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

How much do these damn things cost. Is the government covering the cost of the printer? They should.

There is no way you (government) understands, if you did, you would come up with a solution that people could work with, not something that is going to kill these small businesses. The government is supposed to work with the people...the people do not work FOR the government.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
matbe the owner is hung over, and it is closed.

Nope, it's over the government regulations, still closed today.........now waiting for two days for our block delivery. What good is gravel, sand, rebar,etc., without the cement blocks???

I don't understand this sort of strike.... Everyone will buy whatever they needed when they reopen anyway. It's not like the business was lost because they shopped elsewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How much do these damn things cost. Is the government covering the cost of the printer? They should.

There is no way you (government) understands, if you did, you would come up with a solution that people could work with, not something that is going to kill these small businesses. The government is supposed to work with the people...the people do not work FOR the government.

I thought I read that the very small businesses are exempt from this???? Can someone confirm that?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Not true. People pay much more than they should have to pay to have batteries, inverters, generators, fuel and maintenance than if they had a government that would enforce the rule of law and stop people from stealing electricity.
The EDEs are a huge mistake by the government and nobody has the balls to change it

There is a huge difference and just because you refuse to admit it, it does not mean there is not such a difference. On this topic you are so full of crap that your eyes must be brown.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I thought I read that the very small businesses are exempt from this???? Can someone confirm that?

impresoras fiscales are for businesses generating 7.8 million pesos in sales or 30 million pesos in compras. in addition, they quote the price for that damn impresora as 150k pesos when you can buy one at 18k pesos (a family member just got one).

dominican people who strike all the time are the same who demand the government takes care of them and does things for them all time time: power, water, garbage, whatnot. they do not pay income taxes but they want to benefit form others who do. this mentality is not likely to change.

there was a strike in POP yesterday too. in the morning some business were closed. by lunchtime they were being opened again. i went to the mechanic to do maintenance on my car, his workers were leaving for lunch and one asked: do i have to come back later? the owner said: of course. the workers started moaning there is a strike in place. the owner summed it up: there is work to do and we will work, this is what i pay you for. good attitude. he will keep on making money.

on the way back home i saw two colmados, back to back. one was closed. the other one was open and full. guess what, the strike did not cost the government anything, it's the business owners who lost money.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Nobody is in business to protect consumers. People are in business to make money. Parroting the BS a bunch of colmado operators say is wanton blindness to the truth.

And the other thread about e pesos is a joke. Me thinks somebody spends too much time in the developed world and not the third world(this isnt a developing nation.) Therefore thinking that any thing that applies to the US or Canada applies here. Lmao. When we can get the natives to flush toilet paper down the toilet we can move on up to other grander ideas.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Does anyone know what the rationale(if there is one)for not flushing used toilet paper is in the DR? I recently encountered the same practice at a mom and pop Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles, Ca. Is it the lack of water pressure, the inconsistency of water service or concern over clogging the outgoing sewer line(s)? Or, does the used paper get "recycled" once the roll runs out?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pipes used in the sanitary system are narrow. add to this lack of water pressure (or lack of water altogether) and poor canalization in general and voila. what bothers me is it's the same crap in the houses of those who are fairly well off. my brain does not compute that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No, that's one of the reasons why, besides paying VAT at the level of a developed country where you GET something from the government for the taxes you are paying, you pay extremely high prices for normal everyday shopping. Double or sometimes triple the prices you would be paying in a developed country. Why? Because beside the fact that the government doesn't solve anything with the tax they are receiving and the fact that most business owners want to get rich in one year, they also have to pay for fuel for the back up generator, besides an outrage electricity bill, and save for severance pay for their employees in a highly inefficient labor market, fix the holes on the street in front of the business, else your customers break their cars coming to your place. Probably you'll have to maintain the garden on the isle in front of your store, in exchange for a sign that you paid for that as well as the electricity of the traffic light on the corner.

All that, besides paying taxes over your income.

The VAT/ITIBBS are the only tax the government collects from most Dominicans. The majority pay no income tax or property tax, nor school taxes...etc. How much would your money water bill be in Holland, electric?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You can't compare my water bill in holland with the water bill here. I'm drinking from the tap in holland. Quality is probably better than Agua Crystal or Planeta Azul.

The electricity bill? I would pay between 100 and 150 euro per month for electricity and gas, that's including the use of a laundry washer and dryer and dishwasher (with warm water of course). No need for a inverter or new batteries every two years, no gas oil for the generator either. No water pump either and always high pressure.