Strength for the Journey Community Center

Aug 21, 2007
This is just a short update on the programs and activities of the North Coast charity, Strength for the Journey. We continue to provide emergency food, medical assistance, and support for individuals in crisis, as referred to us by local community leaders. In addition, we provide programming for children and youth. Currently, we hold educational iPad sessions two mornings and one afternoon each week.

Most importantly for the Sosua area, we have partnered with a small church that was holding services in an uncompleted structure. Our group has committed to complete the building construction in exchange for allowing us to share the space. Once completed, Strength for the Journey will function there as a community center where we will continue the services currently provided but will have the opportunity to expand, allowing other groups to use the space for meetings, medical clinics, classes, and other programming beneficial to children and families in the Sosua community.

The future Strength for the Journey community center is located just beyond the Bologna Restaurant, across from Infiniti Blu, above the little Dominican grocery store. When you drive or walk by, you can see the uncompleted concrete structure. We welcome you to stop by on Wednesday or Friday mornings between 9 - 11 am to observe the iPad program and chat with us about this project. All programs and construction are made possible by the contributions of others, whether it be donating goods and services or through financial support.

I will try to post a pic here.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me via PM.

Lindsey Kaufman

neural

Dec 12, 2012
I can personally attest to the good works of Lindsey and SFTJ. It would be nice to see the the dr1 community get behind
this most worthy project. Lives are being changed, and hope is being restored.

Aug 21, 2007
Thank you so very much for this voice of support. The point is, with all the negative posts and threads about Sosua, there are positive things going on. This is something that can benefit the entire community, whether you are an ex-pat, a middle class Dominican, or someone in crisis who needs help. It will be a space for everyone.

I hope the community (including the dr1 community) will give it support. We are moving forward with whatever we have. While others complain about the problems of Sosua, we hope to do something about it.

Lindsey

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Well, I thought the same thing. I would imagine that those posters are really not interested in "do-gooder" activity. Either you
get it or you don't. SFTJ will make Sosua a better place. Hope is infectious.

Neural

BrienOR

Mar 22, 2015
My wife and I just arrived in sosua with some school supplies and are looking forward to meeting you. We are staying just down the block at the Mary Rose and plan to stop by Monday morning.

Aug 21, 2007
My wife and I just arrived in sosua with some school supplies and are looking forward to meeting you. We are staying just down the block at the Mary Rose and plan to stop by Monday morning.

I'll be there Monday morning around 9:30 - 11:00 to do administrative work, then again in the afternoon from 3:30 - 7:00 pm for classes. It will be the first day of our new session. Thanks for thinking of us. I look forward to meeting you.

I assume you know where we are located. We have registered 77 local kids who are poor and working poor for our classes that include English, art, ballet, karate, checkers and chess, guitar, piano, singing, a children's library, and iPad and computer education. We also share resources with other groups working with the poor locally.

We welcome anyone interested to come and observe our classes. Although we register kids and have limited enrollment, we also operate much like a YMCA. We have kids with nowhere else to go who come every day to hang out while classes are going on. For them, we have board games, construction materials, and and learning activities.

Again, thanks for your support and interest. Together, we are Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
BrienOR, many thanks for the generous donation of 3 bags of school supplies. The notebooks have already been distributed to kids for use in our English class. The other items were all much needed and appreciated. Stop by and see our classes anytime. And thanks for being Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey