will iberia come back to DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la zeta speculates:
Z 101

apparently iberia is interested in returning to DR with SD-madrid connections. i flew with iberia few times, it was rather decent. the prices were ok and so was the service.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well I always flew iberia because it was convinient. GVA-MAD-SD. For me convinient also means the cheapest by the way.
Last year they left me stranded here!!!! I flew to the dr with them in september amd was due to fly back in march. It was on dr1 that I learned they stopped flying to the dr ( I think it actually might have been a dv8 post:))
They eventually sent me an email ( I didnt bother looking into it ) asking me to phone a dominican number ( which of course never answered ).
And for some unknown reason Iberia insisted I needed to hook up with Iberia dr!!!
Finally went to Santo domingo to the iberia office ( that they were clearing out ) to sort things out. They put me on aireuropa.

Anyway, on the service. Planes are always old, no personal screen, bad food, bad service. The best thing is the plane is nicer, food better on the 90 mn flight MAD GVA than on the o hour flight MAD SD. Go figure.

First time I travelled with AA/BA. And even if flying through america is a hassle ( visa/customs/security, and lots of americans.....:D), next time we will stop off in florida and eat loads of greasy food and go to bush gardens!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never traveled via america. i don't have the visa and i don't think i would appreciate the customs, seeing that i bring food and other goodies. iberia was convenient and it was one more option to consider. last couple of times i used airberlin from POP and that was much better. and cheap, even. but competition is always a good thing.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just did the vis/waiver thing on internet for 10$ or so.....
Do u think security checks in-transit luggage? I was lucky then....
The customs is a pain, makes u realize how priviliged we are travelling in europe.... The queue for passport control arriving in the US made me think I was being prosessed for a labour camp or something.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8, did you see this week's DR1 Travel News?
New flights to the Dominican Republic
The Ministry of Tourism announced new flights to the Dominican Republic during last month's FITUR travel show in Madrid.
They include Air France, which is introducing a new flight to La Romana this year, and is adding a new frequency to its Paris -Punta Cana route in the summer. Air France flies into the Punta Cana, Santo Domingo and will now also serve La Romana airport.
Condor is also adding a new flight from Munich to Puerto Plata and another from Poland to Punta Cana.
Evelop Air, the Grupo Barcelo low-cost carrier, will be adding another flight from Madrid to Punta Cana. The airline's website is promoting stays at four-five star hotels for EUR970-EUR1,150 all-included (all-inclusive hotel, taxes and airfare per person).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know about that new flight, chiri. the flight warsaw-PUJ is just one big, fat piece of s**t. this is a charter and there will be no option of doing DR-PL-DR. furthermore they also DO NOT PERMIT flight only. this plane is for tourist only, who bought AI package with flight+hotel.

munich-POP does nothing for me, really. airberlin does POP-munich (or dusseldorf, depending on time of the year) already so unless they offer low prices it does nothing.

and no, poland is not in a visa waiver program, never was and will not be anytime soon.

Feb 7, 2007
About Condor flight Warsaw-PUJ. Maybe it will be the same type of flight as Viena-Punta Cana, operated once weekly by Condor during high season. That flight can be booked from PUJ to VIE, even one way ticket, at prices starting at 299 Euro per person OW. It only remains to be seen if WAW-PUJ hits the reservation systems. If it does, it will be bookable from DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't think this flight will be operated by condor. last i've heard it was going to be a plane chartered from LOT and working with travel agencies only. i already spoke to a polish consul about it and it seems they said no way jose. and if they ever do let DR-PL flight it will be stand in for no show passenger and no go for a return option. in a way i am not so concerned, one PUJ is a long way from POP and two, warsaw is a long way from where my parents live. if i were to fly from PUJ i would go to berlin. but so far the prices of that single flight were marginally better than POP-dusseldorf-berlin.

but i wanted to get that flight for my dad so it really annoyed me they will not permit flights only, only a combo with a hotel. and the average holiday price for 2 weeks is 2k dollars. it's a lot of money.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Why not after being part of coalition of the willing

and no, poland is not in a visa waiver program, never was and will not be anytime soon.
Wonder why not after being part of the coalition of the willing. So what did the Polish got in exchange?

Alexander

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wonder why not after all the

still too many people overstay their visas and the number of rejections of visa applications is still too high. this is american policy and american government decides it. i respect this decision.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got quotes for flights to Malaga (southern Espain) with Air Europa today

SDQ - AGP - SDQ- EUR 1,100
LRM - AGP - SDQ - EUR 1,300
PUJ - AGP - SDQ - EUR 1,800

The landing fees at PUJ are sky-high, apparently. No pun intended.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just check iberia flights from SD to madrid in september. the tickets cost under 100 dollar each way. return is 191 dollars. taxes and surcharges are 695 dollars. total 886 dollars. what. the. hell. 695 dollars in taxes and surcharges?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Correction to my previous post:

LRM - AGP - LRM - EUR 1,300
PUJ - AGP - PUJ - EUR 1,800