Hello from the US

PCoo

Feb 7, 2014
Hello Everyone I am Celin, I hope this finds you all well. My husband and I are college professors living in a bustling city with our two cats and zero kids. We are ready for a change of pace so DR it is. We have decided to give ourselves a few years to save,research,and visits. We're looking for:
A safe culturally diverse beach community(no more city life)
Area that has consistent electricity and water(a well for back up?)
A community outside of the city where the locals and expats live amongst each other
A home a little off common roads
No more than 5 minute walk from the beach
We are simple living people(we bake our own bread if that's indication)who don't need much and are not interested in gated communities. A safe small home/apartment where we can be at peace is all we need.
Can you all suggest an area for us to look into? Thank you much for your help.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
welcome to DR1! Are you interested in a small home/apartment(close to the beach) on the north coast
or the south coast?

I could suggest some places but they are not within a 5 minute walk from the beach. Maybe some
DR1'ers can suggest what you are looking for. Good Luck!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are a few areas that fit the bill. I am partial to the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. There is a large European population, in addition to local Dominicans and Haitians. Spanish, French, Italian and English are widely spoken. Some of the best beaches in the country are located here. There is a private electric company, prices are a little higher, but service is very good. Water service is not a problem. Many homes or apartments are connected to town water lines. You may not be interested in gated communities but in the DR security is the number one priority in deciding where to live. If you are flying from Canada or NYC you can fly directly into El Catey Airport (AZS) and you are about 30 minutes away. Visit and check out the area. Stay for a month if possible and get the feel of the area.

LTSTeve

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Its nice that you want to embrace the local diverse culture. Just remember when you see numerous men urinating on the street and throwing their bottles on the side of your quaint little unprotected home/apartment , its just a cultural thing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican Cat Lovers

... with our two cats...

From what I hear nowadays they have microchips implanted.
Well, they''ll probably just spit them out... :rolleyes:
However, they might sue you for a malicious attempt on their health... :cross-eye

donP

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Welcome to DR1. I actually liked Juan Dolio myself. There are plenty of high rise condo/apartments and some gated communities there as well, Metro Country Club and Guyacanes (sp)?? I have heard really good things about Casa de Campo but seeing as i am not of that economic class yet. You are wise too not want to live in the city. Personally i would like to check out the Cabarete area because i am thinking kite boarding would be a good winter hobby for a 45 yo.

Be prepared for harsh debate here on every question you could think to ask. If you read it all you will be the better off for having don so.

Why does,..."Like Lambs To The Slaughter" keep running through my mind??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Because they arent jaded and bitter veterans yet. Give them time they may just grow up to be tigers, or dogs. Either which survive here pretty well. Woof woof!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hello Everyone I am Celin, I hope this finds you all well. My husband and I are college professors living in a bustling city with our two cats and zero kids. We are ready for a change of pace so DR it is. We have decided to give ourselves a few years to save,research,and visits. We're looking for:
A community outside of the city where the locals and expats live amongst each other
We are simple living people(we bake our own bread if that's indication)who don't need much and are not interested in gated communities. A safe small home/apartment where we can be at peace is all we need.
Can you all suggest an area for us to look into? Thank you much for your help.

Have you spent much time in the Dominican Republic, or well the to-be visits your introduction to the country?

Finding a place that meets all your requirements will be difficult, if not impossible.

Consistent electricity, for example, anywhere in the country is problematical, even more so if you live somewhat off the beaten path. Having your own mean of providing some electricity when the power is off will be important.

Security is important to you, understandably, and not found by everyone outside of a gated community. However, there are some participants on DR1 who are living off the beaten path, outside of a gated community, among Dominican neighbors who look out for them, so this possible. But they are most likely not in a culturally diverse community a 5-minute walk from the beach.

It is good that you are starting early and giving yourselves time to explore. To many rush off to the DR, having done little research other than time in an all-inclusive resort, then wonder why they have trouble getting acclimated.

There are a lot of people on dr1 who will be happy to help you, there are also some, usually, well meaning cynics. Just develop a thick skin. Make use of the wheat and ignore the chaff.

Good luck.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
College Profs

We are simple living people(we bake our own bread if that's indication)who don't need much and...

Hmm, sounds like social-romantic dreamers.
Why not?

All good, and a Remington 12 Gauge would be your best friend...

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Doesn't have to be a "Remington", I have a "Mossberg", which are more plentiful here.
AND, work just as well! :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Why does,..."Like Lambs To The Slaughter" keep running through my mind??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Who gives a big rat's AZZ!!! I just want a pair of 'dem rose colored glasses!!!

[video=youtube;6FHpCo1bqwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHpCo1bqwc[/video]

PCoo

Feb 7, 2014
welcome to DR1! Are you interested in a small home/apartment(close to the beach) on the north coast or the south coast?

We'd be interested in a condo/apt on the southcoast or southeast,thank you. Anyone can answer my next
question. Is there not a working class neighborhood where all ethnicities reside on the south/southeast?

I could suggest some places but they are not within a 5 minute walk from the beach. Maybe some
DR1'ers can suggest what you are looking for. Good Luck!

Would these places still be walking distance? If so how far by foot? What are the names of these places? Thxs
This is all very exciting. I know it will wear off eventually so I'm cruising.

PCoo

Feb 7, 2014
Welcome to DR1. I actually liked Juan Dolio myself. There are plenty of high rise condo/apartments and some gated communities there as well, Metro Country Club and Guyacanes (sp)?? I have heard really good things about Casa de Campo but seeing as i am not of that economic class yet. You are wise too not want to live in the city. Personally i would like to check out the Cabarete area because i am thinking kite boarding would be a good winter hobby for a 45 yo.
Be prepared for harsh debate here on every question you could think to ask. If you read it all you will be the better off for having don so.

Thanks for the advice.#chuckle I'm sure my husband and I will find what we want by compromising what we are used to in the states however to leave behind this not so "rosy life" suits us just fine. We are weary. lol I've been checking out this board for months. You all have character I must say. Thank you for your responses.

Because they arent jaded and bitter veterans yet. Give them time they may just grow up to be tigers, or dogs. Either which survive here pretty well. Woof woof!!!

:cool:

PCoo

Feb 7, 2014
welcome to DR1! Are you interested in a small home/apartment(close to the beach) on the north coastor the south coast?

We are interested in a condo/apt on the south or southeast close to the beach,thx. Anyone can answer this question.
Does a ethnically mixed working class class not exist?

DR1'ers can suggest what you are looking for. Good Luck![/QUOTe

How far by foot from the beach are these places? Do tell. This is still exciting. I know it will eventually wear off but I'm
crusing right now.

PCoo

Feb 7, 2014
Have you spent much time in the Dominican Republic, or well the to-be visits your introduction to the country?

Finding a place that meets all your requirements will be difficult, if not impossible.

Consistent electricity, for example, anywhere in the country is problematical, even more so if you live somewhat off the beaten path. Having your own mean of providing some electricity when the power is off will be important.

Security is important to you, understandably, and not found by everyone outside of a gated community. However, there are some participants on DR1 who are living off the beaten path, outside of a gated community, among Dominican neighbors who look out for them, so this possible. But they are most likely not in a culturally diverse community a 5-minute walk from the beach.

It is good that you are starting early and giving yourselves time to explore. To many rush off to the DR, having done little research other than time in an all-inclusive resort, then wonder why they have trouble getting acclimated.

There are a lot of people on dr1 who will be happy to help you, there are also some, usually, well meaning cynics. Just develop a thick skin. Make use of the wheat and ignore the chaff.

Good luck.

Thank you. Do you use a generator,inverter(sp?) or both. What and where do you go to have them repaired?