Book Recommendation For DR History

May 12, 2005
For those of you who like to read and are interested in the history of DR go and read this book. Very in depth and well written. Even has a few chapters that follow after the US left up until the 1986 election of Balaguer

Rag-Tags, Scum, Riff-Raff and Commies: The U.S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965-1966: Eric Thomas Chester: 9781583670323: Amazon.com: Books

4196C5PP0ML.jpg

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Reid Cabral, the last standing member of the provisional government, the "Triumvirate" wrote that he begged Johnson to send Marines to pacify the city of S.D. to give them space to form a new government. Read his article.

Also listen to the declassified telephone calls between LBJ, Sec. Dean Rusk and McGeorge Bundy in which they definitely did not want to answer Reid Cabral's call for help, thinking all of Latin America would blame the US and the CIA for all the trouble here.

Johnson, 6 MAR 1965: ?I guess we?ve got no choice, but it scares the death out of me. I think everybody?s going to think, ?we?re landing the Marines, we?re off to battle.??

Reinforcing false Anti-American precepts, as does the book "Venas Abiertas de America Latina", is disadvantageous for the DR.

(cit. centerfold article by Reid Cabral in Listin's weekender magazine on anniversary 199?, and the declassified telcons of LBJ).

Mar 1, 2009
May Donald Reid burn in hell, he should've done the same thing his brother Robert did and saved us from so much grief.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccccc

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The best way to learn about Dominican history is by getting your hands on as many actual historical documents, ranging from informal letters to official documents, from the various time periods and read them multiple times. Study them from different perspectives.

No history book will ever give you a much clearer in depth view and understanding of what truly happened unless you take the time to do your own research from primary sources. It also makes it clear where the actual history ends and the BS begins concerning some historians and their 'views' on things which they publish into their books.

You do need to have a passion for history and enough patience to read and re-read the same documents over and over, but from different perspectives, jot notes on what you discover on each perspective, and then put the dots together.

I have been doing this for the past few years and its impressive all the things that are discovered, sometimes these are even novel points of views that other people, even professional historians, have completely missed.

May 12, 2005
The best way to learn about Dominican history is by getting your hands on as many actual historical documents, ranging from informal letters to official documents, from the various time periods and read them multiple times. Study them from different perspectives.

No history book will ever give you a much clearer in depth view and understanding of what truly happened unless you take the time to do your own research from primary sources. It also makes it clear where the actual history ends and the BS begins concerning some historians and their 'views' on things which they publish into their books.

You do need to have a passion for history and enough patience to read and re-read the same documents over and over, but from different perspectives, jot notes on what you discover on each perspective, and then put the dots together.

I have been doing this for the past few years and its impressive all the things that are discovered, sometimes these are even novel points of views that other people, even professional historians, have completely missed.

Agreed but who has hours and hours to spend at the archives to do that? My motivation by posting book recommendations is to get DR1ers and ex-pats to try and learn about the history of the country they call home.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
nals, you clearly practice what you speak. I read you recent post to a thread I started several times. It's a keeper.