I thought I would comment on the file article on jails since I have been there.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Life in jail in the Dominican Republic

I spent a week in the Santiago courthouse jail and two months in the prison and saw no physical abuse from guards there unless something happened like throwing pee on a fan. What I did see is that every Sunday night when the courthouse building is closed the guards go and have sex with the female prisoners.
Prison rules have become more like USA standards. Possesion of a cellphone will now get you sent to solitary. Outside objects such as TV’s can no longer be imported. “Goletas” have been abolished except in the senior citizens block. Conjugal visits now require background checks, STD tests and proof of relationship. You have to know how to dance well to get invited to the women’s prison.
Everyone was treated more or less equally as far as I saw. Blackouts meant that everyone went to their bunks and closed the cell door. In Santiago the cells hold 9 people in bunk beds of 3 built into the walls. The only serious attacks I saw were as a result of snitching on things that people had such as smoking supplies and a laptop. Once in a while liquor and other contraband is thrown over the wall into the yard. I did not see any sale of weapons happen. Basic medical assistance and medications are available during the daytime. Being gay while in jail is not a thing there and anyone who makes an approach like that has attention called to them and is fought off. Things may be worse in other locations since Santiago is held up as a model institution for the DR penal system.