do you get to keep the tourist card when you enter the country?

europeanboy29

Nov 11, 2012
I am in DR and I can not find mine.

Did I give it to the immigration clerk when I entered and this is normal?

Or did I lose it and I am in trouble?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
No worries. You already gave it to the immigration officer. They will not ask to see it when you depart the DR.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Alltimegreat is correct, you gave it up when you came in. When you leave they will check your passport stamp to make sure you have not overstayed the 30 days. If you have stayed longer than the 30 days you will have to pay according to this chart.Direccion General de Migracion
Mack.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Again when I overstay, I go directly to payment desk and pay whatever tax is appropriate.
With all that paper work I am simply waived through. No fuss, no muss, no weeping, wailing and knashing of teeth.

When I am finished with all of my pesos, I hunt down a cleaning lady and unload.
It means a hell of a lot more to her than to me at that point.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hmmmm...... I *used* to have to hand it over when entering the door to the baggage area. We entered on 12/27, my tourist card was a little printout like a cash register receipt, and they did not take it. I still have it with my passport.

Has something changed?

Apr 13, 2011
I know that when you arrive at SDQ, you go over to the desk on the right to get your $10 Tourist Visa - they hand you the receipt - you walk over to the customs line (a few feet away) - and before you go to show your passport, there is someone standing their taking the receipts - then you go to the customs desk, show your passport and declaration form - and then move on to the baggage area.
Then when you fly out of SDQ, they check the passport for the entry date to see if you have stayed over 30 days.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i first came here, 9 years ago, you got to keep the card. then you had to give it back at immigration and then just after immigration, no consistency. why not just charge for the stamp?