Central America and the Dominican Republic organic crops

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Central America and the Dominican Republic boast more than 200,000 hectares of organic crops

According to a document of the Inter-American Commission for Organic Agriculture (ICOA), Central America and the Dominican Republic have more than 253,332 acres of organic farming and 49,181 producers dedicated to these crops.

Based on data from 2012, the competent authorities of organic production in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama and the Dominican Republic, that are part of the CIAO, noted that 223,417 acres of organic crops were certified, while 29,905 were in transition.

Of this group, the Dominican Republic is the country with the largest number of hectares for organic production (166,200), followed by Nicaragua (26,252), Honduras (23,827), Guatemala (12,549), Costa Rica (9,353), Panama (4,563) and El Salvador (4,500).

The Dominican Republic is also positioned first in surface transition to these crops with 16,420 hectares, followed by Nicaragua (7,923), Guatemala (4,023), Honduras (1,379) and Costa Rica (159).

To facilitate regional trade of these products and promote the development of their markets, the Agricultural Council approved in 2012 the harmonization of regional regulations for organic production between Central America and the Dominican Republic.

This regulation controls production, processing, marketing, exports, imports and labelling of organic products of vegetable and animal origin.

Furthermore, the IICA and the CIAO developed a tool for the Assessment, Planning and Strengthening of the National Control Systems (CNS) of Organic Production. This tool, called the EPF, assesses the state of the CNS by analysing its components to determine how optimal the system is and develops proposals to strengthen it.

Source: Fao.org

Publication date: 2/13/2014

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The Dominican Republic is currently one of the leading exporters of tropical organic products globally.

Certifiers operating in the country

Several agencies certify organic produce in the Dominican Republic. However BCS ?KO-Garantie (Germany) controls about 90 percent of all certification in the country. The company has established a national office with trained technical staff to facilitate activities. Thus a certifier from Europe only visits once a month. The establishment of strong national presence and capacity has facilitated more effective provision of service and opens scope for development of a certification system for the local market.

Other certifiers are: Demeter (Germany), FVO (United States), Imo Control (Germany, Switzerland), Suolo Italia (Italy), Skal (Netherlands), IBB (Brazil), QAI (United States).

Destination by volume of organic products from the Dominican Republic (year 2000)
y1669e0s.jpg

Source Fao.org

The Dominican Republic has the highest shares of organic agricultural land in Latin America and the Caribbean, with more than six percent.

Last edited:

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
thats good stuff..i was reading that D.R is the #1 in the world for organic banana export

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's too bad that the D.R. is reduced to comparing its agricultural output against those of 6 Countries which have all suffered through either revolutions, coups d'etat or outright civil wars over the past 30 years. Dominican farmers don't have to worry about unexploded ordinance which is one Hell of a food additive. I guess that's why they call it "organic".

Kinda like sending an able bodied team to go compete in the Paralympics. Hey whatever it takes to achieve any level of "accomplishment", right?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's too bad that the D.R. is reduced to comparing its agricultural output against those of 6 Countries which have all suffered through either revolutions, coups d'etat or outright civil wars over the past 30 years. Dominican farmers don't have to worry about unexploded ordinance which is one Hell of a food additive. I guess that's why they call it "organic".

Kinda like sending an able bodied team to go compete in the Paralympics. Hey whatever it takes to achieve any level of "accomplishment", right?

Really, Costa Rica hasn't has any of the above. Panama neither.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
thats good stuff..i was reading that D.R is the #1 in the world for organic banana export

Driven and organized by Europeans. Yes, I know the #1 exporter :)

The DR also falls under the European banana quota, giving them a huge advantage against some other countries.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Good topic, I was curious as to the percent of fresh local fruits and vegs that are sold in the Jumbo, Bravo, Nacional etc. are organic? Same with meat and chicken? Anyone?

Aug 6, 2006
I have never seen anything labelled separately in the Jacobo Supermarket in Barahona. Of course, Barahona is hardly on the cutting edge. That is what I like about it.

I just wash my veggies.

Here in Miami, over production of all fruits and veggies ends up at the Hialeah-Opa-Locka Flea market in somewhat odiferous stalls that remind one of the mercados in any Latin American city. One finds organic-labelled stuff there a lot of the time, and they do not charge extra for it, because the clientele are restaurant owners and Latinos that could care less about organic stuff.

Another specialty is what are called culls: veggies and fruits that are simply misshapen. flat-sided melons, twisted and multicolored bell peppers, bent cukes and mutant-looking radishes. All cheap and quite tasty. $2.99 a lb. in Publix, 4 or 5 for a dollar in the pulguero.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Good topic, I was curious as to the percent of fresh local fruits and vegs that are sold in the Jumbo, Bravo, Nacional etc. are organic? Same with meat and chicken? Anyone?

The larger organic farms sell the produce they cannot export for quality reasons back into the local market.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

and cacao, this is why such a huge chuck of organic export goes to belgium/luxembourg. lindt too uses dominican cocoa in their products.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Really, Costa Rica hasn't has any of the above. Panama neither.

What you should know is that there were a dozen overt U.S. Military operations in the region between 1981 and 1989, not least of which was "Operation Just Cause". Go Google it, I shouldn't have to explain to your what the entire rest of the world knows about the dismantling and reforming of the Panamanian government after a new U.S. supervised and approved constitution was installed. While you're Googling stuff, type in "Operation Golden Pheasant" for a very sanitized peek into U.S. affairs in the region.

What you may not be privy to is the fact that there were scores of covert U.S. Military operations in the region in ALL those countries mentioned. Costa Rica has not had a military in 65 years and just about every U.S. military action in Central America during that period involved personnel on the ground in that country and at the present time, the entire country is pretty much a military staging area.

Costa Rica's Love-Hate Relationship With Heavy US Military Footprint - FPIF

I'm only going to go so far on the subject but what you don't know about that region is a lot and the Guys who left their dog tags at the drop off and made it back can only look at your very uninformed statement and shake our heads. What you don't know, you shouldn't comment on.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What you should know is that there were a dozen overt U.S. Military operations in the region between 1981 and 1989, not least of which was "Operation Just Cause". Go Google it, I shouldn't have to explain to your what the entire rest of the world knows about the dismantling and reforming of the Panamanian government after a new U.S. supervised and approved constitution was installed. While you're Googling stuff, type in "Operation Golden Pheasant" for a very sanitized peek into U.S. affairs in the region.

What you may not be privy to is the fact that there were scores of covert U.S. Military operations in the region in ALL those countries mentioned. Costa Rica has not had a military in 65 years and just about every U.S. military action in Central America during that period involved personnel on the ground in that country and at the present time, the entire country is pretty much a military staging area.

Costa Rica's Love-Hate Relationship With Heavy US Military Footprint - FPIF

I'm only going to go so far on the subject but what you don't know about that region is a lot and the Guys who left their dog tags at the drop off and made it back can only look at your very uninformed statement and shake our heads. What you don't know, you shouldn't comment on.

Yes, I defer to your expertise in everything, not. What you said was: It's too bad that the D.R. is reduced to comparing its agricultural output against those of 6 Countries which have all suffered through either revolutions, coups d'etat or outright civil wars over the past 30 years. Costa Rica hasn't had a revolution, a coup d'?tat or civil war. . What you've just mentioned about American military presence doesn't change that and certainly has nothing to do with Costa Rican organic food production.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yes, I defer to your expertise in everything, not. What you said was: It's too bad that the D.R. is reduced to comparing its agricultural output against those of 6 Countries which have all suffered through either revolutions, coups d'etat or outright civil wars over the past 30 years. Costa Rica hasn't had a revolution, a coup d'?tat or civil war. . What you've just mentioned about American military presence doesn't change that and certainly has nothing to do with Costa Rican organic food production.

For Pete's sake, Bob. Why do you think the US sent troops there in the 1st place. That BS that was going on in Nicaragua and Guatemala and El Salvador was going on in Costa Rica as well. They had a government which yielded control of the country to the gang lords who ran the drug transshipment routes and they were making deals with the Commies out of one side of their face and shipping their product to the U.S. while lying to us out the other. The ENTIRE REGION was in turmoil at one time or another during the 90's.

You haven't gotten back to me on the removal of the Head of State and abolishment of the old Panamanian constitution in favor of the new and improved government installed by the USA. I do believe that Panama was also mentioned as a wonderful, trouble free part of the region in your previous post, despite the fact that there were a bunch of casualties in that little fracas, mostly civilian and mostly poor. It's okay though. They were brown people and we got to field test our new fleet of stealthy aircraft which found their way out of Nevada for the 1st time ever just for that affair.

One of these days I'd like you to explain to me how a 35 year drug war along with the corresponding political instability that is inevitable, waged within the borders of ALL the countries in a region can possibly not affect the agricultural production or any other segment of those countries' economies.

Take your time.......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've been to Costa Rica a number of times and my last visit I stayed on an organic farm in Grecia (family friends) and am also friends with a surveyor there that does many of the farms in the two provinces closest to the capital. We have talked extensively about issues affecting Costa Rica and Drugs and armed gangs have become more of an issue, but never did they indicate that they though there was government involvement.
Again, I'll repeat ,although your subject is valid, it just has nothing to do with the production of organic agricultural products in Costa Rica, or most of central America for that matter. Costa Rica has two very well organised organic farm organizations and great government buy in.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Some dude was saying on a Dominican TV show that the resorts but their products from Ecuador and other imports because it's some how cheaper for them...I think that's a major blow to the farmer in the D.R trying to grow their wealth