landlords who do nothing>>

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a vacant apartment in my building and a friend was looking for one so I talked it up and gave her the number but was SO embarrassed when I met her there and found that

not only had it not been cleaned

but it had not been painted in about 15 years!

there was this black gunk on the floor that looked like a rug had been taken up..

and dust hanging from the ceiling

and a pile of hangers and dirt on the floor..

And I wondered HOW a landlord could SHOW an apartment in that condition?

Admitedly, the rent is low for the neighborhood... but

it as if he has no pride at all in his profession.. well, I guess he does not consider it a profession. Probably lives in Europe or somewhere and just has this attorney rent it out..

anyway, I was really embarassed that I had shown it. When for $2k he could have the place sparkling..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The rent is 15000 pesos which is low for a two bedroom in this neighborhood.. but I am just pretty stunned that folks who call themselves landlords can actually put things up for rent looking like this.. I just saw three apartments in the Zona .. with a friend yesterday, all in the eight to nine hundred level.. furnished.. and, while two were presentable, the third was just a wreck .broken furniture, broken appliacances, no bed in bedroom.. But they wanted the deposit before they made the repairs.

What a way to do business...!

but then it seems that everyone in the Zona is getting ready to sell,, so if you rent, you have no security that the place will not be sold.

I do not think it would be worth it for anyone to rent and fix up and try to rent again. The area here.. Gazcue.. and the Zona . are both filled with empty rentals.

It would be great if there were a web page which listed them all,.. but you have to walk around a neighborhood.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
If you want to rent and know that the owner is selling then you can add a paragraph in the contract to say that the renter needs 30 days notice to vacate said property.

As for the state of different apartments, the same can be said anywhere, even here in PC - unbelievable. One administrator here used my cleaner who was totally embarrassed at cleaning the apartments he was responsible for as they had no pillows, sheets, cookware or cutlery etc., but was asking the same price or just below those that I manage which has everything in... some people just have no conscience and that's a fact!

Good luck to your friend mountaineannie

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Dominican landlords don't invest any money into their apartments; they simply wait for a tenant to show up and give them the deposit which they would use to "fix" the place up. Then later on they screw the tenant out of the deposit.