Interesting Read About Robinson Cano, Dominican Baseball Player

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
He was in "the Dominican"? bad MLB, very bad MLB...

Nice story about a fairly laid back very rich sports star.

The Yankees will miss him with ARod useless, Jeter in his last year, Rivera gone, mediocre pitching staff, etc..

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cano is a major talent and probably the best 2nd baseman in MLB. I am a die hard Yankee fan and certainly will miss watching him play. I will not be surprised if Cano leaves the Mariners in less than 5 years. He will get tired of not being on a competitive team. Sometimes money is not the only thing. How much is enough? Seattle is not NYC for a Domincian player.

LTSteve

Apr 13, 2011
I have noticed MLB doing that more and more, saying a player is from "the Dominican", not the Dominican Republic - and the players do not correct the media, they seem to accept it and I have heard some say it themselves - so I have a feeling that it is going to become more common.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...so I have a feeling that it is going to become more common.
It always has been common but some posters never heard it before. In Spain everybody just says "Dominicana", in the States I heard "the Dominican" many many times, also by Dominicans.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The word "Republic" is used in majority of the countries around the world. If you go to Panama the stamp in your passport will state the " Republic of Panama" not just Panama because the " Republic of Panama is its official name. Have any of you heard someone say " I am going to the Republic of Kenya" or I just got back from visiting " The United States of Mexico" because this is the official name for Mexico. How about Madrid is the capital of the " Kingdom of Spain" the official name for Spain.

Dominican or the Dominican Republic is the EXACT same thing!!! Everybody on the planet know or should know what the word "Republic" stands for.

Most people in the USA with a Dominican background refer to it solely as "DR" but when they hear people say " the Dominican" EVERYBODY knows exactly what country they are referring to.

The official name for Japan is "Japan", Jamaica is "Jamaica", Grenada is "Grenada" so you can't call these country anything but its official name.

The Dominican Republic, the Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo( which is DIFFERENT from the Congo) and the Central African Republic, but these countries are all new I think they back to as early as the 1960's, but the Dominican LOL!!! goes all the way back to the 1885 or something. I have NO IDEA why people car it the Dominican Republic and it is NOT because of the Commonwealth of Dominica aka "Dominica"

BTW Seattle will be GREAT for Cano new place new challenge.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Anybody ever been to the Czech?

Czech is not only a group of people but also a language example" Do you speak Czech"

Also did you know there are plenty of people in the Czech Republic that HATE the name "Czech Republic" because it sounds STUPID using it an every day conversation. I know two people from the country that HATE the name "Czech Republic" because it does not make any sense.

Now for the DR:

Let me show you a list of countries if they follow the DR

The Colombian Republic
The Mexican Republic
The Cuban Republic
Panamanian Republic
The Chilean Republic
The Salvadoran Republic
The Nicaraguan Republic
ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

Tell me windguy was is the Dominican Republic the only LATIN country that uses the nationality of its people in its official name???

BTW How silly does it sound man I has a great time in The Ecuadoran Republic!!! I can't wait to go back. You say it sounds bad to use " The Dominican" to describe the DR but look how BACKWARDS it is in DR.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The only guys who are complaining about the use of the expression "the Dominican" or "Dominicana" are non Dominican Republicans.