Hello :)

aat84

Feb 16, 2014
I am a teacher interested in working in Central/South America and the Caribbean. I haven't ruled out the DR as a potential place to work, but I've done my research too and I'm not sure about it either. I've visited as a volunteer and been to resorts as well.

aat84

Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply- are you looking for teaching jobs right now? I'm interested in the private schools in Santo Domingo and Santiago. I have 7 years experience with B.A./B.Ed and have found open positions at quite a few of these schools. I liked volunteering in the DR and I'm sure I could find lots of opportunities for that on weekends if I did find a decent teaching job.

Last edited:

aat84

Feb 16, 2014
Right- the private schools do pay better than that. It's hard to get an idea of what the schools are like but there are forums (like this one) that help a lot.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello, aat, welcome to DR1. Also I wish you the best in your job search. I am also curious if you are Dominican or some other Latino? Just wondering and last question. If it what you love to do, and you get the job where you want to be, then there is no question of how much it pays or doesn't pay, it just depends on how much you want to go there and live and teach. Best of luck in either case and Thanks for your post, Take care, God bless
Biggs :):):#:#:Q:Q

aat84

Feb 16, 2014
Thanks :) I'm Canadian but in the US right now. It's definitely what I love to do but it's a process of finding where I want to be - geographically. The DR is a beautiful country but so are many many others in Latin America.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I loved Mexico City, but it is at altitude and I had trouble breathing since i have had triple bypass surgery may have something to do with that, but I did love teaching thee for about $1000 a month.
Der Fish

Check Carol Morgan school in Santo Domingo, is a private english school in Santo Domingo, they pay good salaries, is an shcool for Rich people.

Carol Morgan School of Santo Domingo

aat84

Feb 16, 2014
Wow- triple bypass! My dad wants to retire to Quito but he's had heart surgery as well so we're apprehensive. I'm actually looking at La Paz, Bolivia as well as others (like Quito) so altitude is not a problem for me.

The only school in the DR that seems to pay really well is Carol Morgan in SD, but I've been searching for others. If you know of anyone who has more detailed info., let me know. I've looked at Santiago Christian School, St. Michael's, St. George's, Ashton School (Santo Domingo), and Cap Cana Heritage School from a thread I found on dr1 that provides an awesome list. Money isn't the only motivator for me, but I'm not about to leave where I am without some pretty careful considerations.

msnerdybirdy

Feb 13, 2012
I have a pretty good understanding of the schools in Santo Domingo where I live now because I have put myself out there physically and made contacts. I once was told this "anything important should be done in person." To be honest with you, the best advice I can give is to "become friends" with everyone, expand your contacts and get to know people. Because contacts is everything here in this culture. My personality has made it easy for me to survive because I know that Dominicans are very personalable people. To explain myself further, as far as the capital goes, the community of English teachers is rather small and teachers know teachers who know teachers.
I am a teacher at two different bilingual schools in SD and I have expanded my contacts so much that I have students whom I tutor on the side from other schools too. you see?
HOWEVER, in the a year and eight months of living here overtime.. you would not believe if I told you how many Canadian and American teachers come and go. And because of that, there are high turn over rates in even the richest private schools.

-birdy

msnerdybirdy

Feb 13, 2012
My personality has made it easy for me to survive..

you would not believe if I told you how many Canadian and American teachers come and go. And because of that, there are high turn over rates in even the richest private schools.

I should expand and say that I think thats why many of them come and go. They don't understand that they have to put themselves out there and thats alot to do with culture.. My american culture tells me that I shouldn't talk to strangers or be so friendly with people I have never met.. Americans are very cold like that and don't speak to their neighbors so often.

or it could be something else.. but thats my opinion
-birdy

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Birdy" what part of the "North East" are you from?????
Most Americans west of the "Hudson River" are quite friendly.I'm from Illinois, and when I got to Boston at 23 years old, I was so lonely I actually prayed to God to, "Send Me a Friend"!
We have a poster on here from the North East, New York????, who's friend moved to the Carolina's.
She would call her friend in "NY" and ask her to tell her to "Go F*#K Yourself" so she would feel "At Home"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Do you know the difference between a Northern Girl & a Southern Girl??????
A Northern girl say, "You Can", a Southern girl says,..."Y'all CAN"!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Wow- triple bypass! My dad wants to retire to Quito but he's had heart surgery as well so we're apprehensive. I'm actually looking at La Paz, Bolivia as well as others (like Quito) so altitude is not a problem for me.

The only school in the DR that seems to pay really well is Carol Morgan in SD, but I've been searching for others. If you know of anyone who has more detailed info., let me know. I've looked at Santiago Christian School, St. Michael's, St. George's, Ashton School (Santo Domingo), and Cap Cana Heritage School from a thread I found on dr1 that provides an awesome list. Money isn't the only motivator for me, but I'm not about to leave where I am without some pretty careful considerations.

I am friends with a couple of teachers here and the trick is to get hired from OVER THERE.. where you will be paid expat wages. If you come here and get a job, you will work on the local scale. Also, there are not a lot of volunteer opportunities. Well, yes, you can work at the animal shelter perhaps and perhaps at an orphanage. But most of the "volunteer" opportunities here are for organized week long groups who pay a lot of money to participate. There is not a culture of using volunteers here.

You seem to have a bead on the top schools. From what I understand Carol Morgan has the best pay package. Can't speak to other issues.