Passports for felons! :D

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I am trying to get my dad to come down for a visit to appreciate the beauty of Sosua, but he is concerned that as a felon, his passport will be marked "OMG GUYS THIS DUDE IS A FELON!! FELON FELON FELON"

His concern primarily being entry (apparently not a problem according to what I've read) and being hassled by law enforcement.

Now, it makes sense that a passport in some way tells that its bearer is a felon, since some countries won't let you in. But does it require scanners and numbers that local popo won't even bother with or does it scream FELON?

Any fellow felons out there can weigh in?

Edit- I know his likelihood of being stopped, and that he could just not produce the passport- those things will not assuage him.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
does he wear a scarlet letter? Maybe an F instead of an A

[video=youtube;NlUetVd4rsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUetVd4rsw[/video]

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
I am trying to get my dad to come down for a visit to appreciate the beauty of Sosua, but he is concerned that as a felon, his passport will be marked "OMG GUYS THIS DUDE IS A FELON!! FELON FELON FELON"

His concern primarily being entry (apparently not a problem according to what I've read) and being hassled by law enforcement.

Now, it makes sense that a passport in some way tells that its bearer is a felon, since some countries won't let you in. But does it require scanners and numbers that local popo won't even bother with or does it scream FELON?

Any fellow felons out there can weigh in?

Edit- I know his likelihood of being stopped, and that he could just not produce the passport- those things will not assuage him.
Bro - seriously?? A US Passport that has your complete criminal file attached to it?

Last edited:

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If he did not have his passport taken when he was convicted or he has stayed out of trouble long enough to be issued a new one then he is good to go. His passport will only be flagged here if he is wanted here.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Bro - seriously?? A US Passport that has your complete criminal file attached to it?

...And every address you ever lived at. Every library card you ever held. voter registration, tax returns filed or not. The regularity of your bowel movements. They got it all.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
and dont forget your permanent record from grammer school...

...And every address you ever lived at. Every library card you ever held. voter registration, tax returns filed or not. The regularity of your bowel movements. They got it all.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
Seriously, bro. Not me.

My dad is old school. He doesn't even want to leave the states because "I don't know how the rules work. I can deal with law enforcement here."

The question is super basic, "what does the Passport say to identify you as a felon?". It did not require you to be smarmy or sarcastic. It was a serious question that if I don't get a serious answer to, I will never get my dad here or anywhere else in the world, except deep south Alabama.

Humor me, please.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
We assume that it is your head that is taken for granite. But if he intends to cross any international border he has to produce his passport.

I know he has to produce it. (I'm already here, I live in Sosua, and I've been a good boy) BUT. His concern is that IF he has to produce it to the AMET or whatever, that they will see FELON and give him a hard time. SO he wants to know how his passport identifies him as a felon. If it requires a scanner, no street cop has them. If it requires numbers be run, I know that it's going to be ENTIRELY too much work for a cop just looking to score a few pesos.

Any input?

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
If he did not have his passport taken when he was convicted or he has stayed out of trouble long enough to be issued a new one then he is good to go. His passport will only be flagged here if he is wanted here.

Yeah, I know it'll only be flagged at entry if he's actually wanted for something, but he isn't. He's just worried that local police will see it and think they can shake him down.

I know, I know. I've never shown my passport to anybody except Orange and Banco Popular to conduct business, but his view of the country is the stereotypical American (tm) view of 3rd world countries.

It's a war zone, you know.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
When you enter the US and your passport is scanned, your entire criminal history if there is one is available to the Immigration Officers. That's what the magnetic strip is for. However, being a felon doesn't bar you from owning a passport, nor unless that nation such as the U.K. or Canada shares information and crime databases with the U.S., can it be seen at the entry point of most other nations unless you're wanted and it's on the INTERPOL or some other database for fugitives.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I know he has to produce it. (I'm already here, I live in Sosua, and I've been a good boy) BUT. His concern is that IF he has to produce it to the AMET or whatever, that they will see FELON and give him a hard time. SO he wants to know how his passport identifies him as a felon. If it requires a scanner, no street cop has them. If it requires numbers be run, I know that it's going to be ENTIRELY too much work for a cop just looking to score a few pesos.

Any input?

That is not true. Nowhere on a U.S. passport is a person identified as a felon. Take this from someone who once worked military and U.S. customs and immigration as a civilian. I also issued them at the Post office once I retired. When entering the DR, immigration can see very little because their database isn't up to par with U.S. standards. AMET can't even access the info.

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
I guess I would understand if you were asking - " can they identify him as a felon when he presents himself for entry to a foreign country " that I get, but a stamp in the passport when it's issued that screams to the world FELON?! aii mi dios....

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
Nowhere on a U.S. passport is a person identified as a felon. Take this from someone who once worked military and U.S. customs and immigration as a civilian. I also issued them at the Post office once I retired. When entering the DR, immigration can see very little because their database isn't up to par with U.S. standards. AMET can't even access the info.

AHA!!1 THANK YOU!! THIS is what I have been looking for!!

HAHA! Now he HAS to come visit me!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I guess I would understand if you were asking - " can they identify him as a felon when he presents himself for entry to a foreign country " that I get, but a stamp in the passport when it's issued that screams to the world FELON?! aii mi dios....

I didn't say it was based on anything other than assumption. I just said I needed to give the man assurance. Work with me here.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
7ccd40c7b0e8d453d42294e813041910e2f781a8d16bb2a08cdecfecd176d8ae.jpg

I'm just asking if it CLEARLY says, "This dude is a felon."
Seriously. Jaiallen is the only one who has actually read and understood the question.

I was led to believe this was a helpful place.
Jaiallen seems to be the exception to that incorrect statement.