Sosua Street Party For Independence Day (Feb 27)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Thursday, February 27 is the day to celebrate the fact that 170 years ago the independent 'Rep?blica Dominicana' was proclaimed. The festival begins with a speech by the mayor of Sos?a from a stage on the helicopter field. Then starts a parade through the streets of El Batey and Charamicos of Sos?a. The prarade stops for a few minutes at the park with the flags where there is a memorial. Then the parade, preceded by a fire engine with screaming siren, proceeds through the Pedro Clisante street and over the main road to Charamicos. At the parade 17 schools participate. But also representatives from the police, fire department,

For this festive day the main street Pedro Clisante from Calle Duarte to Caf? Cubano will be closed for traffic all day. After the parade, the street is transformed into an art and ancient craft market. Stalls will be set up where all kinds of stuff is for sale. For the children there is also a lot to do, all kinds of activities are planned. Furthermore, there will be several terraces where visitors can enjoy a drink and snack. The dance school Emily Watson will give a dance show several times. Also in the evening it will be pleasant to stay in the 'closed for traffic' street. All the bars and restaurants have terraces on the street where the visitor can enjoy a beautiful evening.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken, Harleysrock

Some information about the Street Fair after the parade :

FebruaryStreetFairposter_zps64235015.jpg

FebstreetFairENG_zps1909970f.jpg

Olly and the Team

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I hear the chicas on Pedro Clisante will be passing out discount coupons, 2 for 1

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I was present for it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids were so cute and so proudly Dominican. The parade was much longer than I anticipated which was great. They even managed to start Sosua's ambulance to get it in the procession ;) .
Harley , you will enjoy it and your wife will not receive a bum whacking.
I am presently in Las Terrenas. Does anyone know if it has a similar parade?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
We watched it last year from the start at the helipad. If memory serves me, and it usually does not, it started around 9am and it is a very long procession. The school bands were marching proudly and having fun. We will watch it again this year and go over to pedro clisante to party with friends.