Who is this Deity?

Aug 6, 2006
Imagenparquedebarahona7-13_zps0713f912.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took this photo in July of 2013. He was still there in November. But then the Parque Central of Barahona was repainted and remodeled and he is no lomnger on his little knoll facing the Helados Bon shop.

I suspect he is Le Baron Samedi, the Haitian Deity of cemeteries, death and yes, zombies. But I am not an expert.

Any comments?

Pablo29

Mar 23, 2013
Imagenparquedebarahona7-13_zps0713f912.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took this photo in July of 2013. He was still there in November. But then the Parque Central of Barahona was repainted and remodeled and he is no lomnger on his little knoll facing the Helados Bon shop.

I suspect he is Le Baron Samedi, the Haitian Deity of cemeteries, death and yes, zombies. But I am not an expert.

Any comments?

"The Baron has some very particular looks when he's represented. Most times he's shown as a tall, handsome black man decked out in a tuxedo and top hat that will be either black or white. Sometimes he has a cadaverous, skull like face with plugs up his nose in the tradition of Haitian burial. Other times he will be shown as a skeleton dressed in the same way"
Reference: Baron Samedi: A Voodoo Loa of Death, Sex and Saturday Night - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Aug 6, 2006
As I recall, kids gather there in that area to play marbles. Other than that, I don't know much about the Parque, and neither do my friends in Barahona, who live up the hill in Palmerito.

The first time I saw this statue, it was not wrapped in the pink cloth. Perhaps it belongs to some cult other than vodun.

This figure is still in the Parque, however:
ImagenparqueBarahona7-13_zpsdc69660e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]