Applying for a passport

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've been told one must go to Santo Domingo to apply for the first issuance of a passport. Does anyone know how long the government needs to process the application? Can you apply for and get the passport on the same day (or the next day) for some sort of VIP charge?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
They do have a rush service and yes they do charge more for that. The capital just for a passport? Doesn't sound right, but maybe someone else may know more about that.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I've been told one must go to Santo Domingo to apply for the first issuance of a passport. Does anyone know how long the government needs to process the application? Can you apply for and get the passport on the same day (or the next day) for some sort of VIP charge?

Are you Dominican? because for Dominican you can apply in the closer office to where you live.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Are you Dominican? because for Dominican you can apply in the closer office to where you live.

Santo Domingo would be the most convenient location for me within the DR anyway. I assume one cannot get his first Dominican passport at a DR embassy or consulate abroad.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful answers. My next question would be: Once I obtain a citizenship cedula, can I apply for a passport the same day?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012

Thanks for the link and to everyone for the helpful answers. I forgot to mention I'm a naturalized citizen getting a passport for the first time. Looking at the Servicios website, I assume the following category would apply to me, which means I'd have to wait 3 days for it to be issued.

Expedici?n de Pasaportes de Lectura Mec?nica para Adultos Naturalizados por 1ra. Vez.

Emisi?nVIP: RD$ 5,650.00. (Entrega en TRES (3) d?as).

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
The next question would be how long one must wait after obtaining a citizenship cedula to apply for a passport. Can it be done the same day?

Sorry for all the posts in a row. I tried deleting some and consolidating but I couldn't figure out how.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
If you are Dominican who resides outside of the DR the closest consulate can issue a passport.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
If you are Dominican who resides outside of the DR the closest consulate can issue a passport.

I called around to a number of consulates and embassies. They said they only do passport renewals. A naturalized citizen getting a passport for the first time must do so in Santo Domingo (they all claimed this).