Back to Basics.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
How about instead of Ipads and laptops we start handing out rakes, shovels and trash bags/cans???

What good is an education with an ipad you cant afford if you still dont know any better not to poop where you eat, sleep and LEARN.

:confused:

Aug 6, 2006
Do you contend that students are pooping in the cafeterias and the classrooms? What provoked this remark?

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
How about instead of Ipads and laptops we start handing out rakes, shovels and trash bags/cans???

What good is an education with an ipad you cant afford if you still dont know any better not to poop where you eat, sleep and LEARN.
:confused:

Do you presently work with the underpriveledged in the DR ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The public school yards and surrounding areas ARE a mess, just like most of the country!
A "School Clean Up Campaign, MIGHT teach the students MORE than spending time on "Fay Boo"!
I believe THAT is what the OP had in mind?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Thank you CCCCCC

I just think a kid should learn how to wipe his @ss and clean up their own before they can learn anything else. Especially play with an IPad that they will never be able to utilize outside of the time they are with the saviors.

Use the IPad as positive reinforcement. Maybe a reward for picking up their yard, their classroom, their old lady neighbor's yard, the school neighbors' yard, etc.

They see a rich gringo with a toy they can use and they throw poop everywhere. Behavior is learned this is why I cant sit on the beach without an official tour guide trying to sell me a toy or a piece of poop their neighbor threw on their front door.

No I do not work with underprivileged in the DR because I am an American, who lives in America, so I work with underprivileged Americans. And not Americans that live on the opposite side of the country, Americans that live in my state, my town and my community. One of the first things I learned was to take care of my own. Whether it was the mess in my pants as a child, the mess in my home and community as an adult.

I guess I do work towards helping the underprivileged in the RD by putting American Dollars into their economy when I need a break from wiping my own @ss.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, it's not the first time i see ipad and s**t in the same sentence together but this is a new context.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
The public school yards and surrounding areas ARE a mess, just like most of the country!
A "School Clean Up Campaign, MIGHT teach the students MORE than spending time on "Fay Boo"!

I thought what the OP had in mind was criticizing another DR1 member's post about a wonderful charity that she is involved with. ( hope i posted the link to that thread ).

http://dr1.com/forums/community-support/140826-strength-journey-community-center.html

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Would never criticize anyone doing charity or educating anyone. If It came across that way I apologize.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can't say what his intentions are.
BUT, Lindsey is DOING something, the rest of us are NOT!
Talk is cheap!
While the DR needs more "Lindseys", it could use even MORE, "Marias", "Angelas", Belkis", Yudelkis", and a few "Fulano Detals", doing what she and her "Crew" are trying to accomplish!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Dont have any intentions in the DR, I just became an OP cause I learned how to and read recent posts that questioned the effectiveness of some of her own past/current endeavors.

After ten years seeing the island I have seen alot change with the help of foreigners........ and locals, but the idea of littering sofreely without a care is so common.

The FACT that a large enough majority of the people don't look down on littering makes me smirk even more after ten years.

As an educator. How much did they really learn.

I like the point that Lindseys efforts would greatly be enhanced if more locals shared or even knew of what she knew is possible.

A few more Jose Luis volunteering for Lindsey would help the cause.

Without more local, domestic support too many communities will be playing with foreign Ipads with a cow dropping it's gift an arm's length away while their illeterate cousin films it from his bedroom window on the new Jailborken Iphone 5z to post it on thier Faa Boo

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey has Dominicans working with her projects. Just for your information. She understands that Gringos coming to "help" without doing what is culturally correct or wanted will never work. Lindsey's resources are limited. Her group only invests in people and projects that have potential for success. Unless Dominicans are on board, she and her group are wasting their time and money.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Dont have any intentions in the DR, I just became an OP cause I learned how to and read recent posts that questioned the effectiveness of some of her own past/current endeavors.

After ten years seeing the island I have seen alot change with the help of foreigners........ and locals, but the idea of littering sofreely without a care is so common.

The FACT that a large enough majority of the people don't look down on littering makes me smirk even more after ten years.

As an educator. How much did they really learn.

I like the point that Lindseys efforts would greatly be enhanced if more locals shared or even knew of what she knew is possible.

A few more Jose Luis volunteering for Lindsey would help the cause.

Without more local, domestic support too many communities will be playing with foreign Ipads with a cow dropping it's gift an arm's length away while their illeterate cousin films it from his bedroom window on the new Jailborken Iphone 5z to post it on thier Faa Boo

Boknows, apparently you do not know on this one.

Just last week our group received a letter of thanks from the Bishop of the Diocese of Puerto Plata for partnering on a project undertaken with the church. Further, our community center under construction is shared space with a Dominican church. Our partner in that project is Dominican. One final example- just so Boknows- was the Back to School Project where Dominican business owners, community leaders, and pastors identified 84 local children in need for whom our group purchased school uniforms and supplies.

One disappointment I have had in dr1 lately is that, unlike years back, now many purport to know and make statements, pass on information or criticize when actually they have no idea.

Lindsey

Aug 6, 2006
I suggest that iphones deserve to be jailbroken.

Which is not to say that they should be stolen.

I agree that littering is a big problem. I agree that Dominicans are needed to solve Dominican problems.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Ignorance is bliss. Again no intention to criticize at all.

I admire your (Lindsey or whoever else's) efforts and hope you continue to gain more traction from within the church and community.

I have seen many great schools and projects such as yours.

I have to admit I was mostly fueled by the post describing volunteers laying bricks just to have experienced brick layers remove and reconstruct the previous work over night.

As an educator in an American environment similar to yours, it is often nice to blow off some steam on an anonymous and impersonal forum. (Similiar meaning poverty level income. Obviously poverty appears different in 'Murica, but it has similarities in every part of the world.)

Hope your success continues and the community you are involved in continues to improve. As you know, Lindsey, Improvement is contagious.

I hope you teach them not to litter Lindsey otherwise I will be very heartbroken.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012

This is also the type of comment Im glad to provoke, CCCCCCCCCCCC makes sense in a wide variety of topics.

Aug 21, 2007
Thank you, boknows, for your comments. I take no offense and appreciate your coming back and responding.

If it is of any comfort, I understand that I cannot control what my group participants do outside my presence. However, when at our programs, they are expected to clean up after themselves, including paper on the floor, handwipes they use to wash their hands prior to handling the devices, and photos or junk they put on the iPads (as that, too, can be trash.) No one is to eat while in attendance.

What "our" kids do outside our sight, unfortunately, we cannot control. But on some small level, we hope that the values transfer.

Lindsey

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am presently on vacation here ....about my 6th or 7th trip ....and love driving around the country .....one of my biggest peeves is the amount of garbage thrown around the whole country....from the poorest areas...the most remote areas ...even the capital....take a walk on the malecon and such a beautifull area is covered with garbage and plastic bottles.
and its not just the poor and uneducated ...I saw a woman get out of a new navigator and dump a bag of garbage on a street in the colonial zone and get back in and drive off
its a shame a beautifull country that the Dominicans are so proud of....a big dumping ground

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
At an early age

In the Punta Cana area the children are taught at an early age to help with the schools. The young one in this photo was assisting to create a rock border for some flowers planted to beautify the school site.

IMG_0140480x640.jpg~c200

Regards,

PJT