Mamajuana Recipe

canuck1973

Mar 1, 2014
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could share your Mamajuana recipes? I brought back from DR a 1.75 ltr bottle of Mamajuana, it's already been soaked in rum and wine for a week, I dumped it out and cleaned again with wine, Noe I am ready to make the final product and I need your help.

I have been told to use 20 ounces of honey, 750 wine and 750 rum. I think that will make it to wine like?

Thoughts and thank you.

Canuck

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I've experimented with several 'recipes'. This is the perfect blend for me. I start with this ratio, then adjust as it ages...

2 fingers red wine
1 finger honey
fill the rest with dark rum

Flip bottle several times every few days for the first few weeks.

Has a slight sweetness but doesn't overpower the spiciness of the herbs.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
When Papi makes it in el campo it's always just Rum and Honey, no wine available. Two key ingredients. The Red Wine doesn't give me the same flavor as just a lot of Rum and a good portion of honey. I prefer it with dark Barcel?. Others prefer it with the Brugal.

canuck1973

Mar 1, 2014
Thank you for the reply. The ration below will work for a 1.75 for bottle correct?

I've experimented with several 'recipes'. This is the perfect blend for me. I start with this ratio, then adjust as it ages...

2 fingers red wine
1 finger honey

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thank you for the reply. The ration below will work for a 1.75 for bottle correct?

Yes...it will work with any size bottle. Err on the side of too little honey and wine....wait a few days, after turning the bottle (upside down) a few times, and try it...add a little more honey for sweetness and/or a little more wine for smoothness. Keep in mind though the first couple of batches will still be a little harsh...it starts smoothing out after 3 or 4 batches...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
My personal stash is comprised of Barcelo Gran Anejo, 1 small honey (4-5 ounces), Sangria wine

Although I have tasted an excellent mamajuana made with Barcelo Gran Anejo and dark brown sugar. The 'palitos' were already well seasoned with god know what though.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

2 fingers red wine
1 finger honey

I find that the old fashioned heavy sweet malaga Manishewitz wine works really well in mamajuana. It's actually the only thing it's good for.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
You dumped it out? Crazy, man.

There's no wrong recipe. Just experiment at will and do what tastes good for you. Return frequently to the DR for more mamajuana.

Personally, I just use white rum and then use the extract for mixed drinks.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Fill 60% of the bottle with Brugal A?ejo rum
Another 25% red wine (sweet, cheap, Dominican brand such as La Fuerza which has a picture of a man flexing muscles on the front)
Fill final 15% with runny honey
Add a dash of cinnamon
Give it a good upside-down shake every day. Best after a few days or even weeks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You dumped it out? Crazy, man.

i'm not fond of this drink myself but i heard that those sticks/bark have a bit of a bitter initial flavour and the first batch of mamajuana is not the best. apparently the more used that dried up stuff is the better the product. maybe this is why OP dumped it.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i'm not fond of this drink myself but i heard that those sticks/bark have a bit of a bitter initial flavour and the first batch of mamajuana is not the best. apparently the more used that dried up stuff is the better the product. maybe this is why OP dumped it.

The initial is always dumped. It takes a while before it starts tasting good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The initial is always dumped. It takes a while before it starts tasting good.

Mr AE always dumps the first one or two soaks.

To me, it still tastes like cough medicine, but I'm not much of a drinker to begin with