Motorcycle Rental

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Hi all,

I'm arriving in Santiago and was wondering where the most practical area would be for renting a small motorcycle for a week or two of independent travel. Would it be sufficient to just head to Sosua and look around the next day? or would I stand a better chance heading to Cabarete right away? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm aware of the two motorcycle tour companies with larger bikes, but that's not what I'm looking for. I just need a rented ride :)

Thanks.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Its a very dangerous place to ride a bike. I have been riding bikes for the better part of 30 years and never once had a motorcycle accident in Canada. Here I bought a bike and 3 weeks later I was in a hospital bed. I pride myself on being very carful but here there are just too many people (drivers) don't couldn't care less hitting a bike and driving off. Be careful and good luck.

torontiago

Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't recommend riding a small bike or pasola in Santiago these days unless you're ok with getting robbed then shot..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Completely untrue!!!

I wouldn't recommend riding a small bike or pasola in Santiago these days unless you're ok with getting robbed then shot..

You get shot then robbed.

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Completely untrue!!!

You get shot then robbed.

I was very disheartened to read that the robbery would take place before the shooting. I now feel quite relieved to learn that the shooting will take place first since that was my preferred way to be robbed when motorcycling Central America and Mexico, and bicycling Cuba, Mexico and Morrocco.

Thanks for clarifying these salient points. It's this kind of information that can make or break an adventure.

:D:D:D

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Borrow Frank dozen's monkey to ride shotgun.

Now THAT would be cool! Can the monkey do some of the driving as well in case I get tired?

Of course if the monkey had his own motorbike, it would be even better.

Ps: I'm only interested if he's one of those cigar smoking monkeys. Gotta keep up the image, you know ;-)

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hi all,

I'm arriving in Santiago and was wondering where the most practical area would be for renting a small motorcycle for a week or two of independent travel. Would it be sufficient to just head to Sosua and look around the next day? or would I stand a better chance heading to Cabarete right away? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm aware of the two motorcycle tour companies with larger bikes, but that's not what I'm looking for. I just need a rented ride :)

Thanks.

I was very disheartened to read that the robbery would take place before the shooting. I now feel quite relieved to learn that the shooting will take place first since that was my preferred way to be robbed when motorcycling Central America and Mexico, and bicycling Cuba, Mexico and Morrocco.

Thanks for clarifying these salient points. It's this kind of information that can make or break an adventure.

Scrabble you stare fate in the face like that...you must have a steel pair. Go knock on wood before you go and jinx yourself lol

With all that being said, I am also curious about the same. Can someone suggest a SAFE place to ride? I know someone near and dear to me that is in a hospital this evening because of an accident in a motorcycle due to an a$$hole truck driver that didn't even bother to stop.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In the DR the larger vehicle has the right of way. Take a drive out of Cabarate on RT5 and head for the Samana Peninsula. Traffic isn't bad and you will only be robbed a couple of times. Buenos Suarte.

LTSteve

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
For anyone who is lurking and looking for the same information, here's what I've come up with so far.

My research included:
This forum (responses via private messages)
Google and Google Maps
Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum
Welcome to the global home of motorcycle travel and overland adventure travel! | Horizons Unlimited
Cabarete Dominican Republic

What I've found:

Motocaribe MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Tours (no individual rentals, organized tours only)
Very professional and prompt response. On their website you can get an e-book titled "Two Wheels In Paradise, A guide to riding motorcycles in the dominican republic". Very useful for those who've never ridden in less develloped countries, and a good reminder for those who already have some experience in that area. Well balanced advice from those who've done it and are still doing it. These folks run their tours on Suzuki V-Strom 650's (Dual sport bikes). Based out of Jarabacoa. Closest international airports: SDQ, STI

Dominican Riders Dominican Riders (no individual rentals, tours only)
Also a very prompt and professional response. Their tours are on large displacement Harley Davidson cruisers. Base in Punta Cana. Closest international airport: PUJ

Cabarete Enduro Tours Cabarete Enduro Tours - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
KTM offroad bike tours. I did not contact them since my short legs simply don't work with KTM bikes. By the looks of it they offer true offroad day tours. Closest international airport: POP

Easyrider Cabarate fahren Sie mit der Nr. 1 an der Nordk?ste !
The only company I could find online which does individual rentals. They have Yamaha 125cc offroad bikes and Yamaha scooters, along with car rentals.
I have unfortunately not had any luck getting in touch with them. Two emails and a phone call and I'm still waiting for a response. Closest international airport: POP

According to a thread on advider.com as well as a suggestion by the staff at Dominican Riders, it shouldn't be a problem to just head to Sosua, Cabarete or Las Terrenas and rent one on the spot. It was also suggested to bring one's own riding gear, including helmet if you decide to rent on the spot.

While not motorcycle related this site could be useful for general independent traveller information. http://elpedalero.com/. This fellow bicycles Latin America, including the DR.

My own rather out of date blog (www.scrabblebiker.com) will be updated during my upcoming trip and anyone who wishes to contact me privately for genuine independent travel questions can do so on ADV Rider, Horizons Unlimited or DR1

I hope someone will find this information useful.

Buen viaje y buena suerte.

...scrabblebiker

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Motorbike tours are one thing… traveling long roads by yourself on a motorbike another. The advantage to biking is that you don't have to pay tolls… but the risk is there (yes, crime and bad drivers) when you go alone. Take note that the bikers here all seem to be touring the country in groups.

Do you really want to go by motorcycle? You could do the same by public transport. There are long stretches of roads here that are best traveled by bus. If you want an authentic cultural experience going by bus is more of that than riding a bike. Take note this is a BIG island. There are many small hotels where you can stay -- figure you can get a GOOD room for US$40 the night. If you have the time you could see lots of the country. Think you will get more out of your travels if you go by bus. In some of these areas you could once there rent the motorbike, but to travel the long distances would highly recommend you going by bus.

How much time do you have?

Last edited:

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Motorbike tours are one thing… traveling long roads by yourself on a motorbike another. The advantage to biking is that you don't have to pay tolls… but the risk is there (yes, crime and bad drivers) when you go alone. Take note that the bikers here all seem to be touring the country in groups.

Do you really want to go by motorcycle? You could do the same by public transport. There are long stretches of roads here that are best traveled by bus. If you want an authentic cultural experience going by bus is more of that than riding a bike. Take note this is a BIG island. There are many small hotels where you can stay -- figure you can get a GOOD room for US$40 the night. If you have the time you could see lots of the country. Think you will get more out of your travels if you go by bus. In some of these areas you could once there rent the motorbike, but to travel the long distances would highly recommend you going by bus.

How much time do you have?

Hi Dolores,

Thanks for your concern and thanks for wording it in a rational way.

Basically it's as DR_Guy puts it right after your post. The best way for me to answer your concerns is to send you to my blog at www.scrabblebiker.com. You probably won't understand ...most people don't. On the other hand, maybe a light will go on and you'll come to realize that the original post was made by someone who's been doing this sort of thing for a long time. So, sit down with an ice cold Presidente or maybe a Brugal rum and enjoy the read if you get that far.

Thanks again for not over-sensationalizing things.

...scrabblebiker

Gracias a todos para sus sugerencias y ideas. Solo doce dias hasta mi salida.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hi Dolores,

Thanks for your concern and thanks for wording it in a rational way.

Basically it's as DR_Guy puts it right after your post. The best way for me to answer your concerns is to send you to my blog at www.scrabblebiker.com. You probably won't understand ...most people don't. On the other hand, maybe a light will go on and you'll come to realize that the original post was made by someone who's been doing this sort of thing for a long time. So, sit down with an ice cold Presidente or maybe a Brugal rum and enjoy the read if you get that far.

Thanks again for not over-sensationalizing things.

...scrabblebiker

Gracias a todos para sus sugerencias y ideas. Solo doce dias hasta mi salida.

Tell me the dates you will be here?

Thanks, FRank

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Actually had read your blog prior to writing… that was when I decided to write to you!
For your trip, here are some guides I have written with suggestions of what to see and do, at least for Samana (Northeast), La Romana (Southeast) and Santo Domingo (south-central).

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf
http://dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf
http://dr1.com/travel/santodomingoguide.pdf

Thank you very much for the guides. I looked at the one for Samana and ended up drooling all over my keyboard ;-) Looks amazing!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Arriving STI March 18th.
Heading to Sosua/Cabarete same or next day.
One day in Sosua/Cabarete to get organized.
Then off to all over the island.
Departing STI April 2nd.

OK, if you end up renting a scooter, Enduro, or a big bike, PM, and i may do part of the trip with you down the north coast. I got all three bikes, so which ever you rent is what i will bring with me.

Frank

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
For anyone who is lurking and looking for the same information, here's what I've come up with so far.

My research included:
This forum (responses via private messages)
Google and Google Maps
Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum
Welcome to the global home of motorcycle travel and overland adventure travel! | Horizons Unlimited
Cabarete Dominican Republic

What I've found:

Motocaribe MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Tours (no individual rentals, organized tours only)
Very professional and prompt response. On their website you can get an e-book titled "Two Wheels In Paradise, A guide to riding motorcycles in the dominican republic". Very useful for those who've never ridden in less develloped countries, and a good reminder for those who already have some experience in that area. Well balanced advice from those who've done it and are still doing it. These folks run their tours on Suzuki V-Strom 650's (Dual sport bikes). Based out of Jarabacoa. Closest international airports: SDQ, STI

Dominican Riders Dominican Riders (no individual rentals, tours only)
Also a very prompt and professional response. Their tours are on large displacement Harley Davidson cruisers. Base in Punta Cana. Closest international airport: PUJ

Cabarete Enduro Tours Cabarete Enduro Tours - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
KTM offroad bike tours. I did not contact them since my short legs simply don't work with KTM bikes. By the looks of it they offer true offroad day tours. Closest international airport: POP

Easyrider Cabarate fahren Sie mit der Nr. 1 an der Nordk?ste !
The only company I could find online which does individual rentals. They have Yamaha 125cc offroad bikes and Yamaha scooters, along with car rentals.
I have unfortunately not had any luck getting in touch with them. Two emails and a phone call and I'm still waiting for a response. Closest international airport: POP

According to a thread on advider.com as well as a suggestion by the staff at Dominican Riders, it shouldn't be a problem to just head to Sosua, Cabarete or Las Terrenas and rent one on the spot. It was also suggested to bring one's own riding gear, including helmet if you decide to rent on the spot.

While not motorcycle related this site could be useful for general independent traveller information. El Pedalero: Life, on a bike, in Latin America : El Pedalero. This fellow bicycles Latin America, including the DR.

My own rather out of date blog (www.scrabblebiker.com) will be updated during my upcoming trip and anyone who wishes to contact me privately for genuine independent travel questions can do so on ADV Rider, Horizons Unlimited or DR1

I hope someone will find this information useful.

Buen viaje y buena suerte.

...scrabblebiker

I was hoping to be able to edit this post but it seems like it's too late for that now.

Easyrider Cabarete has now gotten back to me via email. In addition to what's listed on their website they also have Apache RTR 180 road bikes with slightly lower seat heights than the dirt bikes. The bikes include basic insurance.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here's a motorcycle trip of the North coast that i did on a scooter. It can be done:

[video=youtube_share;lJZq4D38Dus]http://youtu.be/lJZq4D38Dus[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here's a motorcycle trip i did from the southcoast to Jarabacoa. It can be done:

[video=youtube_share;P2szZyH-9_Q]http://youtu.be/P2szZyH-9_Q[/video]