Camping in the DR?

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Hola todos,

I'm aware that there aren't a whole lot of organized campgrounds in the DR. But does anyone have a list of those which do exist?

I've also read trip reports/blogs, along with mentions in some guidebooks, that others have camped on beaches and on private property (with permission from the land owners and/or checking with Politur).

I'm wondering how realistic this is (yeah, I know it's a very subjective question) in order to keep costs down as much as possible. Maybe the question should be "how much would I actually save per day if camping were a realistic option in the DR?"

Any and all advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I just went for a bike trip. When I got to a town I asked any kids standing around by a bike to show me a hotel economico. I paid them 50pesos. The hotels I stayed in were from 350 to 500 pesos. Mostly they had tv and beers sold at the desk.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Other Question

Maybe the question should be "how much would I actually save per day if camping were a realistic option in the DR?"

Another question might be "Where is my tent?" :laugh:

?Holmes and Watson are on a camping trip. In the middle of the night Holmes wakes up and gives Dr. Watson a nudge. "Watson" he says, "look up in the sky and tell me what you see."

"I see millions of stars, Holmes," says Watson.

"And what do you conclude from that, Watson?"

Watson thinks for a moment. "Well," he says, "astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Meterologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Theologically, I see that God is all-powerful, and we are small and insignficant. Uh, what does it tell you, Holmes?"

"Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!?

donP

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
To a hammock to the back of your bike. Put your backpack with your clothes and personal items over the handlebars. Get 4 or 5 friends to go with you. GO! Stay on beach for free and rent a room every other day to clean up. Go away from citys. Very cheap and lots of fun.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just back from 4 days camping in the middle of nowhere in the mountain..........
Will open a thread once I am sure my ankle is nlt broken.........

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just back from 4 days camping in the middle of nowhere in the mountain..........

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
I just went for a bike trip. When I got to a town I asked any kids standing around by a bike to show me a hotel economico. I paid them 50pesos. The hotels I stayed in were from 350 to 500 pesos. Mostly they had tv and beers sold at the desk.

Thanks for the helpful tip. I'm hoping to spend most of my time in the Southwest and the central highlands ...maybe a litte jaunt to the Samana Peninsula as well.

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
To a hammock to the back of your bike. Put your backpack with your clothes and personal items over the handlebars. Get 4 or 5 friends to go with you. GO! Stay on beach for free and rent a room every other day to clean up. Go away from citys. Very cheap and lots of fun.

Thanks for the encouragement Trucker!

I love your spirit. Staying away from the cities is exactly what I'm looking for.

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014

I hope your ankle will be OK. I look forward to reading your reports once you've recovered. Was this a hiking trip?

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Don't forget the friends. I rode solo from Miami thru Texas and Mexico and all of central America to Panama. Long trip alone. So don't forget the friends.
Der Fish

Thanks for the two campgrounds you suggested in your earlier post.

Do you have a blog for your Mexico/Central America trip?

I did something similar in 2010. I went from Victoria, BC, Canada to Yaviza, Darien, Panama and back on my F650GS. It was simply amazing and I wish I could still be on that trip :) 25,500km's and 3 months of solo riding. Yes, it does get a bit lonely sometimes.

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Don't forget the friends. I rode solo from Miami thru Texas and Mexico and all of central America to Panama. Long trip alone. So don't forget the friends.
Der Fish

Thanks for the two campgrounds you suggested in your earlier post.

Do you have a blog for your Mexico/Central America trip?

I did something similar in 2010. I went from Victoria, BC, Canada to Yaviza, Darien, Panama and back on my F650GS. It was simply amazing and I wish I could still be on that trip :) 25,500km's and 3 months of solo riding. Yes, it does get a bit lonely sometimes.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I saw a sign "Campamento" recently just past Jarabacoa on the road to Manabao, - does anyone have experience with that site? - fantastic nature sights nearby.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Always for with at least three bikes. If one breaks down one friend stays with the broken down bike while other friend goes for help. Also the more riders the less chance of being robbed. North coast from POP and west along the coast to Monte Criste is fantastic. Get small dirt bike. When my friends and I go, we flip a coin to see which way we go. Gone to some beautiful places by "accident" by flipping a coin. A neat little place is called Buen Hombre. Get there on the beach, tie you hammock between two trees (not palm trees) and go get a cold beer. Not many gringos in that area. The people will be very different than other parts of the country. Good luck.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Always for with at least three bikes. If one breaks down one friend stays with the broken down bike while other friend goes for help. Also the more riders the less chance of being robbed. North coast from POP and west along the coast to Monte Criste is fantastic. Get small dirt bike. When my friends and I go, we flip a coin to see which way we go. Gone to some beautiful places by "accident" by flipping a coin. A neat little place is called Buen Hombre. Get there on the beach, tie you hammock between two trees (not palm trees) and go get a cold beer. Not many gringos in that area. The people will be very different than other parts of the country. Good luck.

Buen Hombre - great fish on the beach, cheap

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was at a camping site a week ago. Near the mine of Barrick Gold in cotui. Aside a lake. Bathrooms in place, barbecue spot and a concrete gazebo. All guarded by some government assigned guards.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I consider my life here to be one extended camping trip, except without the frills. And I don't have to keep my dogs on a leach or pack the garbage out, like at those super-rigid national parks.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

Trucker, that sounds absolutely amazing. I would be game for something like that, too bad the people I know would be too chicken sh!t to go along.