Alloy wheel repair SD?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Does anyone know of anywhere that can refurbish a buckled alloy wheel in SD?

I damaged it on a bad road some time ago and split the rim. i had it temporarily welded, but it is out of round and causes the car to vibrate at speed.

It's off a rather old and rare car, so simply replacing the wheel is proving to be quite difficult, even trying to source one in the US. It can be repaired with the right amount of heat and percussion, but it is a skill to do properly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do wish you luck with finding someone. I have come to find that when you have something rare in the DR you can rarely get it fixed. If you find someone with such skills it would be great to know who that is. Could Metaldom have such and employee?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Doubt that it will ever be right again. It's very difficult to repair one such that it will run true and take a balance. That kind of repair tales a highly skilled person. Even in the US most people replace instead of try and repair. You might look online and find a used or factory remanufactured. I bought one on ebay and the seller did not even want my old rim. It was $125 US delivered.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Cheapest wheel I've found so far is 860 euros from Germany! Think I'll keep scouring eBay for a good used one!

I've seen how the straightening done You heat up the buckled side and gently force it out with moon shaped profile dollies, well that's how the professionals do it. Another way is to use a jack inside the rim and push it out once red hot. But as you say, it takes skill.

Could be a good business opportunity for someone willing to invest in the tooling. With the state of some of these roads and all these posh cars, could turn out to be a lucrative money spinner!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
And this is why it's rare.

Bought it like this from a fellow in Jarabacoa

4996697244_a81530b23a_z.jpg
[/url] P1010464 by axlebeastly, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is what it looks like now

4996099247_ecd32e5ea4_z.jpg
[/url] P1010037 by axlebeastly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Porsche only made these cars from 1992 to 1995 and are very rare. i've been told this is the only one in the DR.

May 5, 2007
Nice You might get by with a "less than perfect" repair if you aren't going to run autobahn speeds in DR? are front to rear wheels interchangeable on the car?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Nice You might get by with a "less than perfect" repair if you aren't going to run autobahn speeds in DR? are front to rear wheels interchangeable on the car?

Thanks.

No front and rear are different widths. It's one of the rears that's buckled. I don't do autobahn speeds for obvious reasons, but the vibration comes in at 50 mph.

"Less than perfect" will have to do. Ferry would turn in his grave if he heard that!

May 5, 2007
Thanks.

No front and rear are different widths. It's one of the rears that's buckled. I don't do autobahn speeds for obvious reasons, but the vibration comes in at 50 mph.

"Less than perfect" will have to do. Ferry would turn in his grave if he heard that!

Never owned a Porsche but have driven a couple, spectacular automobiles Hopefully you can make it work on rear with no more than a "wobble" at higher speeds what model is yours?